So just how smart is Veeky Forums?

So just how smart is Veeky Forums?

Order of fcking operations

Slash thread, slash stupid fcking memes.

order of operations brainlet.
(2+1)=3
so 6/2*3, which left to right is
6/2=3*3=9.

The meme is that a lot of people get this wrong, and it is quite true.

You must be autistic or think lowly of us if this is the most challenging shit you can come up with

Smart enough to not answer till you rewrite this with a division bar to be completely unambiguous you faggot.

Whoever you guys are you just made the majority of this board look stupid as fuck.

Back to tumblr with you.

If you use รท you belong on tumblr

6/2=3
3(1+2) = 6 by virtue of the discriminitive property
=6
fucking brainlets

This is the correct answer and it scares the fuck out of me that people could think it be anything else legitimately

hey there, er i thot you might need some halp in this problem hehe i could help you i like solvde this quesion in 3rd grade dont get me wrung i was doing differentiation in 3rd grade this conjecture looks simple but it very complix. You need knowledge of quantum physics and quantom entanglement to solve this while applying Feynman diagarms to your rank 3 tensor
(mind you i am a rank d/dx(9000x) tensor my self huihui) that you obtain. So first you want to convert the inequity into P=NP form and- WAit wut you think this isnt proved? I proved P=NP while most brainlets were eat caryons and i was splitting baryons harharhar if you dont except my superiority and knowledge i wont tell you the answer to Riemann hypotities. fuck you too i am smart

I really fucking want to believe anyone who says something else other than 9 is trolling.

Morons. Order of operations takes priority over left-to-right.

Parenthesis: (1+2) = 3
Exponents: none
Multiplication: 2 (implied *) 3 = 6
Division: 6 / 6 = 1

The answer is 1.

6/2(1+2)
6/2(3)
6/6

imo the fact that the order of operations has to exist in the first place means there's a flaw in our mathematical notation but i don't know how that would be solved

:^)

why not multiply 2 by (1+2) first?

6 / 2(1+2)
6 / (2+4)
6 / 6

6/2 = 3
1+2 = 3
3*3 = 9

you are brainlets yourselves if you don't see it obvious that the 2 is supposed to multiply the bracket first and not divide the 6. That's the fucking reason why it's only written near it without any multiplication symbol. To make it clear as day that it's attributed to the bracket.

also
>3*3 = 6

>division written as a symbol under infix notation
shieeeeet

Reverse polish notation mah boi. Think like a computer, with stacks.
A computer computes it like this:
1 2 + 6 2 / *
= 9
Desk calculators used to operate like this before they were smart enough to work with our dumb order of operations. We've had polish notation since 1924 but humans are too dumb to value it so we're stuck with BODMAS/PEMDAS/whatever the order of the day is.

>BODMAS/PEMDAS
>1+2=3
>6/2=3
>3*3=9
The answer is 9, because BODMAS.

But you got order of operations wrong:
>[B]rackets
>[O]rders
>[D]ivision
>[M]ultiplication
>[A]ddition
>[S]ubtraction
So, the answer is 9.

I hate this place

Reverse polish notation is the future, today.

This

I love how you fuckers replace an obelus with a fraction.

6 DIVIDED BY 2 (1+2) IS NOT THE SAME AS

---------
2(1+2)

Order of operations, left to right, 6 DIVIDED BY 2(3), since you multiply the 2*3 and division is on equal footing with multiplication, 6 DIVIDED BY 2 = 3*3 = 9

By doing it the jig way that you fractionites are advocating

------
2(1+2)

------
2(3)

----

Of course, 6/6 is a whole, thus 6/6 = 1, but the problem is not presented as a fraction, but as true division

You perform the operations in order of their proximity to each other. The distance between two symbols is defined to be the minimum distance between their pixels.

So 1+ 2(5 /6) would be 16/6 but
1+ 2 (5/6) would be 5/2

For better performance you could measure proximity using a more efficient metric.

good, let infix notation be a brainlet filter if it's so damn hard

it's 1 or 9 because it's a ill-defined expression
/thread

>this
That wasn't even the original post you fuck

the division symbol isn't ill defined, it means division. If someone put a slash, that might either mean a fraction or division but the problem is unambiguous as originally written.

>guranteed replies
it's 9 btw

this

6/2(1+2)
3(3)

Stop falling for the bait you fucking brainlets

bodmas/pedmas are the exact same things

6/2(1+2)
=(6/2)*3
=3*3
=9
i am back in primary school :D

I read the question as whether it's attached to the parentheses or not and I think it is as a factor.