Why are conservatards too stupid to understand Harry Potter?

Why are conservatards too stupid to understand Harry Potter?

Other urls found in this thread:

theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-myth-of-american-meritocracy/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's really fascinating how deeply ingrained Harry Potter is in the minds of this generation

>tfw too smart to have read Harry Potter

I-it's just a well written fantasy story, right?
Is there actually a deeper meaning to the Harry Potter series?

It's not well written. It's a terrible series.

The basic plot is supposed to be a WWII allegory, and it rips off enough mythology and Tolkien to sometimes give the appearance of depth. That's about it.

How did these people get into Harvard?

It merges mythology, magic, Campbellian hero arc shit that makes Star Wars so popular, simple prose, quick pace, and social justice.

It was bound to be a hit with an entire generation of liberals. It was made, intentionally or no, for the children of the Civil Rights generation. That's why it was more of a hit with Americans than with brits.

The segregation of wizards and muggles and the concerns over purity in increasingly mixed wizard-muggle families clearly mirrors American race relations. Which is why it made no sense to set fucking fantastic beasts in New York in the 30s. What was going on in America in those days completely undermines and overwhelms the simplicity and distinctly British aesthetic of the Potter narrative.

You can score highly on the SAT and do very well in school while being stupid. Just look at Veeky Forums. A board full of idiots who have never read any good literature in their lives but would surely score well on tests and SATs.

There's also affirmative action, legacy admissions and purchasing admission through donations.

Someone post the infographic about how harry potter has literally all the same archetypes and imagery as LotR and Star Wars.

You are literally just butthurt that STEM kids will be making 70k a year out of college while you starve to death.

Harvard is not a meritocracy and it never has been. The vast majority of people there are not geniuses by any stretch of the imagination
theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-myth-of-american-meritocracy/

delusional af lmao
at least yuro colleges are good, right?

STEMfag here, that is a myth. An engineer with good grades at a good school could manage 70k, but everyone else in STEM is looking at 30-60k. Scientists and mathematicians are particularly screwed and fall towards the bottom end of the range. I'm in Biochemistry and I'd be lucky to get 40k. Grad school would expand the job market for me but not actually raise my expected income much.

I doubt most of these Hardvard kids even read the books; they probably watched the movie franchise, which by the way is one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King

>what is money

>well written

Fascinating and disturbing.

It's just a standard hero's journey. The characters (at least the main 3) follow the Id ego superego archetypes often used in trios of main characters. The themes are fairly standard affair, growing up, facing evil, resisting aithority ect. The secret to the series explosive success is all in the settings. A magical school. It contains both slice of life aspects associated with ones school days, making it relatable, while also being magical allowing for adventure and escapeism. This is why the worst parts of HP are the parts that don't take place in hogwarts. This idea of merging mundane with the fantastical is also present in the character of harry who starts ordinary, and down on his luck but realizes that he's actually the chosen one, super rich, super famous and is really good at everything for no discernable reason. Perhaps it is for this reason that the books appeal to childish adults who act extremely entitled, as they can relate to (at least in their perception of reality) how Harry is a misunderstood everyman who is actually su period to those around him, and a key part of something greater.

This shit is literally something you'd find on the Onion.

>MATHEMATICS
>ANY JOB I WANT
>300K STARTING

How do we save the American university system? Is it even possible at this point?

what agenda

is that the famed harvard ibe heard about

I know little about biochem but this is hilariously untrue for other fields if you don't go to a garbage school

The job market in chem, bio, physics, and math is not good unless you go to a top school. Engineering and CS are what keeps the STEM average salary approach.

Exactly, and going to school for CS is the dumbest shit you can do when the field has a robust certification system and a willingness to hire based on the quality of personal projects. Engineering is the only group of STEM fields worth the tuition.

it's not worth saving at this point. just like the rest of america it won't change until the whole system collapses

>Engineering is the only group of STEM fields worth the tuition.

For now, listen to yourself. How long until Pajeeb and Chang take over Engineering?

Longer than you think. China is approaching Western engineering standards not much faster than they approach Western living standards, so the extent to which they'll drive down wages is probably going to be fairly negligible. India will be a bigger problem if they can get their schooling up to capacity, but that's a big if.

Lmao every math or finance major I meet seems to seriously think shit like this

>social justice

Most readers probably aren't going to pick up on lyncanthropy/STD parallel and Dumbledore's homosexuality is from a Rowling interview and wasn't actually mentioned in the books.

Even though it was clearly written from a liberal worldview, the political subtext wasn't in your face. Of course, lots of people think Harry Potter would actually be better if it focused on those topics more than it did.

Does anyone feel like there's almost a clean split in the Millennial generation between the ones whose favorite book as teenagers was Lord of the Rings, and the ones whose favorite book as teenagers was Harry Potter?

>Dumbledore's homosexuality
Wasn't he railing the bartender lady? I haven't read these since they came out and never finished the series

Wasn't harvard supposed to be one of the best universities in the world? Why are they allowing these retarded ways of their students? What could a third worlder like me expect from my local educational institutions when the best the first world has to offer is this?
Remember when Bloom it would be forgotten in a couple if years? lel

>science and medicine aint shit bro
Engi"""""""""intellectuals"""""""", everyone

I'm the biochem guy. I love my field but that doesn't change the fact that starting income is garbage.

See

yes.

That doesnt mean it is not worth the tuition

about 10-20 years in the past. Fuck H1B visas.