How many holes are there in this shape?

How many holes are there in this shape?

Other urls found in this thread:

home.sandiego.edu/~baber/metaphysics/readings/Lewis&Lewis.Holes.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

0 holes, 4 handles.

There are actually infinitely many holes.

what do i win?

6 holes

Isn't it topologically equivalent to a spherical "hull" with 4 holes drilled into it?

Nah.

Yeah. There are 4 holes, the pipe/cross shape is a red herring. Put it this way: if I blew smoke into one end, out of how many places would smoke emanate? Three plus one (the hole I'm blowing the smoke into) equals four.

actually, the metal in the shape has a thickness, so it is merely homotopic to a spherical hull with 4 holes

if you treat it as a 3-manifold then its boundary is a 3-handled sphere (homeomorph the four "holes" together in a row on top of the sphere to see the handles)

Nah-ah. (Re-read your topology textbook.)

>actually, the metal in the shape has a thickness, so it is merely homotopic to a spherical hull with 4 holes

Okay, I'm with you there.

>if you treat it as a 3-manifold then its boundary is a 3-handled sphere (homeomorph the four "holes" together in a row on top of the sphere to see the handles)

But have no idea what this means.

>Nah-ah. (Re-read your topology textbook.)

If only I'd ever read one...

4 2D holes
2 3D holes

PROVE ME WRONG BRAINLETS

one hole

if a hole is defined as an opening through an object with no restrictions on how many other sides to the hole there are, then this is one hole with four exits, including the entrance as an exit

>2d hole

>implying there is such a thing

Black holes?

blackholes in 3d are 3d themselves

3 holes

one opens so much that it becomes a sheet with 3 holes

3 holes

These guys understand

imagine putting your hands in the bottom hole and gaping it infinitely wide in every direction until the pipe is a flat sheet

then you'll see the edges of that hole are the edges of a flat sheet which has 3 holes in the middle of it

Ah I see what you mean.

3, topologically it's a shirt. Just impose it onto a 2d plane and you see that there is 3 holes pretty easily.

Makes no sense the boundary could still be classified as a hole.

And what about the laws of objectivity? Which hole do you select to be the boundary? Select a different hole and you wind up with a set of holes different from the last, or is there some kind of formal logic in topology that excludes counting in this manner?

1, 2 and 6 are all acceptable answers.

>infinitely wide
>edges

1 hole, radial patterned 4 times.
t. ME

>is there some kind of formal logic in topology that excludes counting in this manner
I'd have thought that, topologically speaking, all holes are equal.

>inb4 some sex pun

you're forgetting the hole at infinity

Pre-calc student here. I say 4: The one on the top, bottom, left and right.

2 holes.
Unless the edges are sharp, in which case it will disintegrate in a moment.

>imagine putting your hands in the bottom hole and gaping it infinitely wide in every direction

Now you're talking my language.

What are your thoughts on (John) matrices?

Define 'hole'

Assuming all holes are linked on the inside, and we propose the "surface" has thickness, it's a genus 3. Think of what happens when you bend up the two arms and smash it. You get three donuts merging together.

Holes must either be drilled, dug or otherwise carved.
This was extruded, cut, and welded.
When you look at an exhaust pipe, do you think "wow, look at that long hole"?

Engineer detected.

Just means my answer is more applicable.

two donuts. its a genus 2 surface.

4 holes
I can stick my dick in it 4 different ways

oh god im stupid.
it is genus 3.

is that a threat?

3 holes

cover 3 of the holes and it turns into a sock
which is equivalent to a sheet

What's the point of topology?

What's the point of anything?

2 holes
t. brainlet cnc operator

Imagine building it as the composition of a bunch of tori. You can only construct that shape from three tori, so it has three holes.

home.sandiego.edu/~baber/metaphysics/readings/Lewis&Lewis.Holes.pdf

Oh look, another discussion about DEFINITIONS to keep the retards busy

4, everyone else can fuck off.

>a : an opening through something : perforation The coat has a hole in it. a bullet hole

Everything else is just retarded mental gymnastics.

/thread

But can you really?
Suppose you are actually holding the object to insert your penis. You first insert it through hole A (see figure). Then you want to insert it through hole B, but you can't just teleport on top of the pipe, you would have to rotate the object so that hole B would be in position to hole A and after you do that, because of the symmetry of the system the new configuration is actually completely indistinguishable from when you fucked it from A.

Therefore by your logic, there is only one hole, as you can only fuck it in one way.

Zero.

write 1, 2, 3, and 4 on each extension from the middle to differentiate them

But that is not given in the OP. The object is perfectly symmetrical. All fuck-orientations are equivalent.

so you have a hole in your hand?
are you christ?
is this the miracle of christmas?

3 obviously

>pic related has two holes
>this is what 4-brainlets actually believe

Underrated conversation.

That is six holes.

Someone call Gene Ray. We timecube now.

here's how i visualized it

How do you go from 3 to 4?

Fuck, that's far more clever than my approach.

If we assume a 50% probability of flow in each direction and the instantaneous flow in one direction blocks the instantaneous flow in the other direction:
a) there is a 50% probability of there being one hole.
b) there is a 50% probability of there being no holes.

/thread

Got no idea how that's supposed to work, but here's how I did it.

2; the left and bottom ones could be filled