What's wrong with that Ulysses?

>get gabler
W E W
E
W

Ugly as fuck
Also the Yes is a bit heavy handed

How much for the stack, my dude?

>Gabler corrects hundred of Joyce punctuation errors.

>Joyce punctuation errors

I think it was 75. So not bad tbqhwyfam.

Kek

How much is that in Groite Bri'ish Paunds me mate?

60ish I think.

R$24.50 (reais, Brazil's currency), something like $8. The history book was half of it. I know you Americans are accustomed to buying way better editions for like $1 on library and yard sales, but these prices I got are really rare around here. It was a great deal in my opinion.

Reading "Diary of a Nobody" right now. It's a nice little book, light and funny, but probably not an actual classic.

I am currently reading Crime & Punishment, but I will eventually finish all of these. I read The Iliad and The Odyssey a few years ago, but they warrant a reread; I am almost finished with Sherlock Holmes; and I know the Septuagint isn't the optimal translation, but I do like looking at the side-by-side comparison of the Greek and English translations.

$7 canadian btw

Christ those editions are painful to see.

What's worse is a fantastic Shakespear & Co. first edition replica was put out by Dover around the same time. It has great oversized dimensions, retains the original errors (which had been hard to find up until that point), and has the iconic deep sea blue-green cover with the just the big Ulysses and Joyce's name.

In every bookstore in my metropolitan area they stocked the replicas for about year, then they displaced them for that Vintage one. Ayayay.

Also I haven't looked into the specs of that edition but it's good practice to stay away from "the corrected text" that was edited in the 80s and since been published in a few different editions.

nytimes.com/books/00/01/09/specials/joyce-back.html

Nah this is the unabridged one, not the 80's one.

Beautiful editions, user.

What's the translation for the Iliad/Odyssey?

i prefer the original with all it's 'mistakes'

I'm going to finish with the Greeks, I swear.

>gets printed by a bunch of frogs who can't speak English and get shit wrong
>Joyce works personally with a bunch of scholars to go through and fix it to the way he wanted it to be
>faggot teenagers in 2017 think the version with all the shit Joyce wanted fixed is more "pure"
>meanwhile paint chewing retards think a puffed up egotistical professor's personal "corrections" are worth anything
How could such a beautiful book be surrounded by so much bullshit?

>when you're finally getting to modern times
>The Epic of Gilgamesh
I lolled

>the stand
i've always just wanted to read about whatever the hells going on in the cover and spine.

Right two are new. Left stack was from a second hand place but appear to be unread, just have names or messages written inside them, the old lady at the counter was frothing at the gash over my finds

I'm only read 120 pages so far. People can shit on King all they want but his ability to flesh out a character is top notch.

gilgamesh is great

read it first obviously, since its the first literature thing

The Translation was done by Samuel Butler; I also have an older Iliad translated by Richmond Lattimore.

Sorry for the late reply.

I was given The Stand a long time ago, and yet I have never read it in its entirety. I know it is supposed to be one of Stephen King's better works, but is it really worth finishing? If not, it is just going to go with the rest of the pile for store credit.

stick with Lattimore
If it isn't entertaining you or otherwise keeping your interest then drop it. It's Stephen King, not Dante.

Why do so many people on Veeky Forums read Schopenhauer. What makes him so good?

Thank you for the advice. I'll probably still read the Butler translation for the Odyssey (I have no other translation), What is the difference between the two though? Is Samuel Butler less akin to the original?

I'd only need to learn Ancient Greek if I had copies of Ancient Greek texts, and I haven't had any luck with that.

Nothing it's the best one to read (1961 corrected text). Don't listen to this guy about the Gabler, it's a contrarian opinion. Nice Adorno + Faulkner btw.

Picked up The Prague Cemetary by Umberto Eco and Epicurean Simplicity by Stephanie Mills.

Value Village had a sale.

>Buying DVDs in this day and age

We have BDs you caveman.

w2c that matrix book?

Holy shit, I've been looking for something like this for ages. Thank you.

Got these over the weekend.

>two copies of Hamlet
>Matrix DVD

is the schopenhauer one a translation of Handschriftlicher Nachlass or Parerga/Paralipomena?

top: stuff i picked up at a few second hand shops
bottom: some books left by a previous occupant that i found in a shed

and by the way, I can read these all in about two days.

Barnesandnoblefag

3 bucks each on my local goodwill store.
Pretty happy with Dante, it's like 730 pages long. I'm sure it will be useful for when I attempt to read the Comedy.

okay wew lad I believe you

Why did you censor the bottom portion of top DVD? Are you gay?

Did you forgot to put your fedora in the photo?

Butler is in prose

no you can't.

>History of Political Philosophy

I dunno, bro. That just seems like a monumental waste of time.

Book about modern rhetoric, the castle and the process. At a cheap price aswell.

I went to Waterstones today and just couldn't do it. £8 for a paperback (which I don't like at the best of times), more often than not with an ugly fucked up print or £15-20 circa hardcover. I'm going to power through some shit I've avoided reading for ages then just go on Amazon.

I've never managed to find a used book shop local to me in the UK and car boots/charity shops always suck.

>snacka snyggt

lol that language sounds ridiculous
shiggy diggy scooby doo

I know how it feels.
Im at Fort Hood, and the closest used book store is 50 miles away.

I have that same edition of Processen, but my Slottet is shitter. Bra val.

the fact that he's spot on on most topics

good on you for trying to learn ancient greek
+paradise lost, gilgamesh
+willy shakes
+middle three

If you're interested in annotated bibles check out the norton critical one. Bretty gud.

RJ Hollingdale

Oh shit, is this a thread for scandifags now??
Recently bought Dante myself but I want to finish The Iliad and Then the Odyssey first.
And how do they even translate Kafka's The Castle? Like the unfinished or broken/incorrect sentences, do they guess at appropriately Swedish errors?

Just got one book.
I've got like 6 other books that I'm currently reading, and will end up get to pic related sometime in may or june.

Heard about it, then saw it at a local book store and picked it up

What am I in for?

how much did you get that morals and dogma for?

A dollar at a garage sale.

fuck. ive seen those editions go for like a hundred bucks. i want one just to have the reference for scotish rite rituals but never felt like spending the money.

Amazon has some fairly cheap ones.

Slave morality.

yeah paperbacks doe

Written by an emperor to himself? Interesting

Here are some for 9 bucks

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little undergrad? I’ll have you know I graduated at the top of my class from every single Ivy League university, have been involved in numerous tech, consulting, financial, and law firms, and have over 300 books on my Amazon wishlist at any one time. I am trained in library science and I am the top archivist in the entire US Library of Congress lending network. You are nothing to me but just another philistine. I will wipe you the fuck out with dialectics the likes of which have never been seen before on this board, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of rare book dealers across the USA and your Barnes & Nobles receipts are being tracked right now so you better prepare for the intellectual storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your collection. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can scan and share PDFs in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with the stack of hardbacks I carry around at all times. Not only am I extensively trained in book-trading, but I have access to the entire inventory of every top colleges' library in the US and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of Veeky Forums, you little amateur. If only you could have known what enlightened bibliothecography your little “modest” collection was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have put down your fucking camera. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn dilettante. I will shit shelfies all over you and you will drown in them. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Currently reading Notes from the Unterground
I thought this was just a Veeky Forums-meme book

Don't listen to this guy. Marcus is compassionate and kindhearted, hence "slave-morality". Which is a stupid thing to say. He's a man of immense integrity.

Isn't that exactly what slave morality is, though?
Keep in mind that the degeneracy and fall of the Roman empire started with him.

The Tunnel is one of the worst books that is critically acclaimed. Have fun reading the first hundred pages, hating it, and giving it up.

((Kafka))

19th century hunter life in the Siberia, nonfiction

gr8 shit

>Among the Thugs
>Infinite Jest
>Less than Zero
>The Long Hard Road Out of Hell
>Ham on Rye
>Blood Meridian
>The Long Day Wanes

Dude, don't read that edition of King Lear. Get the Arden one.

Why? Because it isn't split into Acts and uses the quarto version?

how to spot pseuds: they don't know gabler is the only legible ulysses

This is the best one now. Cover is ugly af, but the text is a facsimile.

I really e joyed the snows of Kilimanjaro the happy life of Francis mcom er is Good.if you like Hemingways shorty stories read likenick Adams stories

>Aeneid
>Metamorphoses
>Histories
>Tragedies by Aeschylus
>De rerum natura
>The Canterbury Tales
>Faust

t. fell for the Classics meme

R$24.50 in all that? Damn.

I am frothing at my face gash. Dat Frost and Faulkner

Get that sweet buy 4, get 1 free deal?

live stream or your claim is null

That's not what Russel Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix taught me.

>Ador-
No

Cada livro da Penguin foi R$3 e o sobre a Renascença foi R$12.50.
Só conheço um sebo com esses preços pra livros em inglês, por isso tento ir lá pelo menos uma vez por semana.

É brasileiro também, meu camarada? Comprou algum livro recentemente?

lel, it's the same tripqueer with the Autism library. Why dont you rearrange youe shelves? lmao