I really want to learn math from the beginning. Is there any kind of chart floating around on here of books to read?

I really want to learn math from the beginning. Is there any kind of chart floating around on here of books to read?

And when I say from the beginning, I mean from the beginning. I know a lot of you are probably advanced in it and consider a book in calculus to be "the beginning" but I mean like starting from arithmetic.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/learnmath/comments/5nk3ze/could_somebody_please_give_me_an_ordered_list_of/dcc8d1m/
Veeky
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communication
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_language
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_of_mathematics
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiotics
iep.utm.edu/prop-log/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics
iep.utm.edu/math-app/
settheory.net/foundations/
math.wisc.edu/~miller/old/m771-10/kunen770.pdf
mathsisfun.com/mathematics-language.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

highschool textbook

Thanks for that brilliant answer.

dude thats actually a good idea if you aren't good in math

This. I'm bad at math, and going back through a text book and just doing the problems really made me realize I wasn't as bad at math as I thought, I just never bothered to learn. I'm not saying I'm a math god now, but don't underestimate the power of a good textbook and some old fashioned studying.

Try one of those:

Lang's Basic Mathematics
Axler's Algebra & Trigonometry
Axler's Precalculus

Khan academy

reddit.com/r/learnmath/comments/5nk3ze/could_somebody_please_give_me_an_ordered_list_of/dcc8d1m/

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Math_Textbook_Recommendations#Preschool_.28Arithmetic.29

When I felt like I was getting bad at math in high school because I reached a point where I couldn't keep getting away with not studying, I read my math textbook and did all the exercises and I got pretty good. Too bad I can't recommend the textbook, because it's not in English.

Quoted the wrong post, meant to quote

1/2
Start by studying language, comunication. Then, semiotics: symbols, semantics, syntaxis, pragmatics.

At this point your familiarized with abstractions and the meaning and purpose of symbol combinations. For this first part just google and make your own notes. So the next stage are the calculi: calculus as the process of apply tranformations to some symbols following certain rules. Just the manipulation of symbols and now with this tool you can approach to the laws of thought: logic. For this second part you will need a good book on logic. Now, when after a lot of logic, the next stage is sets theory. You will need another good book. Also, is good to have many complementary books and web resources. At this point you must be familiarized with simple abstract constructions, the structure of mathematical knowledge (axioms, theorems, conjectures, corollaries) and proofs. Proofs are very important: you will start with proofs in logic and then harder proofs on sets.

The next stage is an introduction to the general method of proof: How To Prove It is enough. But before the how to prove it you need use your high school knowledge of math and practice problem solving, mathematical reasoning. There are good books of problem solving too and you can practice mathematical reasoning from admission tests, IQ test, books and courses on preparation, etc.

You will also need reading comprenhension, so work on it from the start.

Well done. Now you can perfect your arithmetic. Also you can start with arithmetic geometry and basics of number theory, conceps like odds, primes... interesting properties of number.

What is a number? Answer yourself.

Then, basic math, freshman algebra. Basic math by Lang for example. You will also learn analytic geometry and some Euclidian in this stage.

2/2
This is the pre-calculus. You will learn trigonometry also. It is useful to learn the basics of statistics, combinatory and probability. The mathematical modelling learned from algebra, proportionality, percentages, the ability of your algorithms and your funtions and its graphic intuition will be very usefull.

You are ready to learn calculus. Also, you are ready to learn linear algebra. You will need to improve your proofs and start to be more rigorous. Study mathematical applications: physics is the obvius option.

And that all. By knowing all of this, you will know whats next and what to choose to learn. Multiple variables calculus, differential equations, topology, analysis, number theory, etc. The culture is for everybody.

Don't forget to study philosophy, the history of the natural world and the humanity. Learn chem and think about life and its evolution. Read Gilgamesh, Illiad, Odyssey, Plato..., Shakespeare, Cervantes..., Goethe, Dostoyevski..., Camus,... and so on.

Welcome and good luck in your path. May the curiosity be with you. Wish the virtue be on your side.

Per aspera ad astra.

Bump

Serre, A Course in Arithmetic

Start with some grade 9,10,11,12 textbooks preferably McGraw hill or Nelson.

Then just pick some textbooks off the wiki, khan academy is really useful as well.”, although don’t use it as your only resource.

>Start by studying language, comunication. Then, semiotics: symbols, semantics, syntaxis, pragmatics.
can you recommend any book?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communication
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_language
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_of_mathematics
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiotics
iep.utm.edu/prop-log/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics
iep.utm.edu/math-app/
settheory.net/foundations/
math.wisc.edu/~miller/old/m771-10/kunen770.pdf
mathsisfun.com/mathematics-language.html

Just do your own research

I've seen this floating around on Veeky Forums

For those that have read these books, what are your thoughts? Is there potentially a better book than one on this list?

What's the most comprehensive elementary algebra and trigonometry books (has every method and proof)

You can't, you see, math is like a language you learn from your very beginning of life when you're born, you hear first words, first conversations.
Same thing applies to the fucking math, you can't just start over later. Imagine a french guy learning chinese, or a newborn living in a chinese family from his birth, who could learn better chinese? The newborn.
Standard infidel philosophy.

Judging books is not an entirely objective task, since different people can prefer different styles.

thanks

it's reasonable. here's good advice: stop piling up books and lists. make a concise post outlining your current needs, and follow the advice there for several months. repeat.

Chrystal's Algebra Vol 1&2

>I really want to learn math from the beginning. Is there any kind of chart floating around on here of books to read?

>And when I say from the beginning, I mean from the beginning. I know a lot of you are probably advanced in it and consider a book in calculus to be "the beginning" but I mean like starting from arithmetic.
>reddit spacing

First pick up a functions and graphs (advanced functions)/trigonometry/algebra/arithmetics textbook and spend maybe a few weeks on them. Then move on to real math

Any good Calculus textbook will have appendices on a) Euclidean geometry, b) trigonometry, c) "vectors and matrices" i.e. basic linear algebra such as Gaussian elimination and diagonalization, d) probability theory such as Baye's theorem, and e) basic set theory and logic operators. Throughout the textbook relevant historical background information must be included to give the reader an understanding of the "history of mathematics".

R E A D
E
A
D

T H E
H
E

F U C K I N G
U
C
K
I