Prime Formula

What happens if I came up with a formula to find all prime numbers and have proofs?
Do I get a prize?
Who would it help anyway, desu
Should I just pretend it didn’t happen

Other urls found in this thread:

mathworld.wolfram.com/PrimeFormulas.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What happens if I came up with a formula to find all prime numbers and have proofs?
Nothing, because formulas already exist.

One million dollars prize and such.

4n+1

it's supposed to find ALL primes

yours doesnt even find '2', '3', or 7.

7 = 4*1.5 + 1

n has to be an integer

really?
btw not op but curious

says who?

says me
im the integer police. do it my way or i'll give you a ticket!

all primes can be a solution of my equation y=x where x is any prime number
finds inverse primes for free

mathworld.wolfram.com/PrimeFormulas.html

>Nothing, because formulas already exist.
They exist but that doesn't mean that if OP somehow discovered a magical new formula that was faster and easier it would result in nothing.

Wait a minute
I thought there wasn’t a provable prime formula

There are many

You would be assassinated. All the secure communication is based on big semiprime numbers.

1. you will be most famous person since newton for sure, even bigger since he was working on this aswell

2. bitcoin and every type of crypto currency is btfo forever

3. p vs np will be decided (p does NOT equal NP)

they exist, but arent always very efficient

Formula = Algorithm
Algorithms already exist. The real question is how fast is it.

So the only reason no one cares about current prime formulas is because they take so long to do?

Primes already exist on a curve, which is exactly perpendicular to the "complex prime" curve. Calculating complex primes is easier and checking whether a tangential operation diverges to plus minus infinite at that point. Checking where the next prime is dependent on the divergence speed, if it's slow then you can "speed up" the complex variable to get faster to the next, slowing down when the diverging clearly begins to accelerate.

apparently there's a function the takes 17 variables and spits out primes every time but clearly it has limitations or all of the world would have disintegrated by now

finding large primes is useful in cyber security
but it takes more and more processing to find larger ones
especially if you start at 2

the set [math]\mathbb{N}[/math] generates all primes
QED dm me nobel prize

Can you explain to a brainlet why prime numbers do this?
Actually fuck it
Can someone explain prime numbers in general to me because it doesn’t make sense

Anonymous 12/05/17(Tue)13:39:20
(OP)
A formula which would generate primes -- and ONLY primes -- would make you the most famous mathematician in the world. That is, you plug in a number N and it tells you what the Nth prime is.
No such formula is known. It would, as a by-product, solve the Riemann Hypothesis.

Best we can do is say _approximately_ how many primes exist up to any particular number, Z. The approximation gets better and better as Z increases but it's still an approximation.

There are fairly rapid ways of testing numbers for primality. Not guaranteed to NEVER be wrong, but darned close to perfect. But that's not the same thing.

And a method of quickly generating primes would NOT destroy all cryptographic systems.

Primes are numbers divisible evenly only by themselves and one. As stated above, their are rapid techniques for checking if a number is prime, But if it's NOT prime, it's a devil of a job finding its prime factors. That is, C is the product of A and B. You can show C isn't prime, but still have no idea what A and B are. That's the basis of most public-key encryption systems.

>A formula which would generate primes -- and ONLY primes -- would make you the most famous mathematician in the world. That is, you plug in a number N and it tells you what the Nth prime is.
>No such formula is known
see

underrated

All these brainlets pointing out the existing prime formulas are missing the point.

Yes, we have ways of generating only primes. Yes, we have ways of generating every integer. The problem is that we don't have a formula that ONLY produces primes and produces EVERY prime, never skipping one.

All of those skip some primes.

>All of those skip some primes.
Wrong.

prove it (spoiler: you can't)

>prove it (spoiler: you can't)
Did you even read the page? What part of "Explicit formulas exist for the nth prime" confuses you?

You're right, some of the just required arbitrarily good knowledge of a constant that can't be derived a priori
Big woop

>You're right, some of the just required arbitrarily good knowledge of a constant that can't be derived a priori
What constant?

What is it about prime number threads in particular that invites in pedantic fuckheads who correct people with their wikipedia wisdom

>What is it about prime number threads in particular that invites in pedantic fuckheads who correct people with their wikipedia wisdom
Would you prefer incorrect posts be left unchecked?

Wouldn’t it be trivial if not?

Your so fucking wrong it's ridiculous.

What your asking for is a formula that poops out primes without missing any and does not need to check weather or not a number is prime before deciding to poop it out or not. We have plenty of ways to find all primes, they just gets increasingly computationally expensive as they move along.

>weather
What’s the billionth even number?
What’s the billionth prime? Was one easier to find? No one is really following your point.

>your

>Was one easier to find?
Does the definition of 'formula' specify easiness somewhere?

What would these 17 variables be?

What’s the formula for the nth prime?

see