Post strong acids

Post strong acids

Even with it's low bond strenght its pKa of 3.15 marks it weaker in comparison of acid such as: nitric acid (-1.4), sulphuric (-0.40) and hydrochloric (-8.0).
This is due to relative instability while deprotonated, caused by high electron density on fluoride ion (caused by it's short diameter).

Nothing can beat Prof. Hoffman's problem child.

not even an acid tho. It's an acid amide.

>strong acid thread
>posts weak acid

True, but HF will fuck you up and break your shit.

But not because it is an acid.

Fluoroantimonic acid.

it's a weak acid precisely because it has strong covalent bonds, brainlets

SO3

Being good at masturbating doesn't make you a sex god.
Having strong covalent bonds doesn't make it a strong acid, quite the opposite.

Congrats, you just repeated what I said.

Why don't we just like get a jar full of protons. Wouldn't that be the strongest acid

wildcard, bitches

Tennesic acid :cool:

haha it looks like a person

This is bait

Win...

Is there an acid that's as corrosive as the acid blood in Aliens?

The stuff they put in energy drinks

>Be fluorine chemist
>Lost left hand
Fuck.

Wow, you're fucking retarded.

Covalent bonds: the masturbation of acids. You read it here first, peeps....

HF is very corrosive but not a strong acid.

this.

>Fluoroantimonic acid
holy shit that is some nasty stuff

>newfag
>falls for the bait

Beat me to it.

AlCl3

Yoo

That isn't LSD,

H2SO4 FOREVAH and H-I
CH3COOH MUHFUGGAS

A-am I the winner?

I would like to see this

Hydrogen Iodide

wait we talking strong like Pka wise or in terms of being corrosive

That's the joke you waste of quads you

>be fluorine chemist
>accidentally spill a whole 10mL of HF on your lap
>act immediately, strip, douse self with mild base solution and water, jump into actual swimming pool nearby to dilute leftover acid further
>need to have emergency amputation of both legs, a good amount of abdominal skin
>die anyway because a tiny amount of acid soaked into your skin and made it into your blood stream before you could wash it off and before doctors could cut away the necrotic tissue

really happened

>makes my nose burn when I burp after drinking pepsi
>also threatens to destabilize the entire ocean ecosystem as diatoms and other plankton species can no longer form their shells in the more acidic environment

well 10 mL are quite a lot to be fair
I am more impressed by shit where people get exposed to drops of shit and die

On a more serious note, could you perform acid/base-like reactions by blasting a beam of protons at a crystalline solid?

>americans

almost made my family go blind with this one

Yikes. The chemistry community is poor. Strong acids are those who are defined by the capacity to full dissociate in aqueous medium. That is there is aqueous leveling. The acid produces a stoichiometric amount of H3O+ and conjugate base. Because H3O+ is the strongest acid to exist in aqueous environment, many strong acids are just reduced to hydronium. So my answer is hydronium with a nifty little pKa of -1.7

I'm no chemist, but isn't a aqueous solution a must?

Definitely not. Think of polar protic solvents that aren't water. 100% MeOH, EtOH etc

250ug of C20H25N3O

If you are chemist made of fluorine you can be happy that you lost just hand

anyone here actually worked with hydrofluoric? i once worked with aqua regia, and that was pretty fucking nasty

Do you teach 451 at UMBC?

I knew that from high school
pH is related to [H3O+] somehow, like log([H3O+]) or some shit

Yes but how is that relevant to what he said.

I have and my colleagues regularly do. I work in an inorganic geochemistry lab and we most commonly use a mixture of hydrofluoric acid and nitric acid to digest fused glass beads of soil and rock for analysis in ICP-MS.
We have an emergency kit for it to be sent to the hospital with you and protective suits. No accidents yet.

Yikes!

Well you just brought up an interesting point. Both HCl and H2SO4 have an even smaller pka, but their protons create H3O+ (free H+ do not exist right? You need water for the dissociation). Acidity/pH is a measurement of H3O+ concentration/H+ activity.
So what does the pKa of H3O+ actually mean? Isn't that like saying the pKa of H+? How does that make sense?

FUCK ACIDS! THIS IS NOW A BASE THREAD!

Hey user, can you greentext it? I wanna hear this story

REEEEEEEEEEEE