Continuing with the Greeks

I made a thread about finishing The Iliad recently and a couple of of Veeky Forumsizens were fairly insistent that I made a mistake by choosing the Fagles over Lattimore translation. Which translator should I choose for The Odyssey?

fuuuug :DDDDDD

Tell them to fuck off. Fagles, Fitzgerald and Lattimore are all good options.

WRONG

Lattimore is the only acceptable option if you have the choice. Don't buy his Odyssey though; the paper's shit. Just pirate it.

Fagles is okay though.

Translatioms are so vastly more pleb than reading in the original language who cares?

Lattimore is more precise, but Fagles is great too. Don't let the local autismos dissuade you.

Yeah no. Autism is a good thing when it comes to anything academic, and when it comes to autism, no one does it better than Lattimore

>Autism is a good thing when it comes to anything academic
Not really, no.

Uh, yeah really.

$100 there is not a single person on Veeky Forums who can provide a substantive argument as to why Lattimore must be chosen over Fagles.

Just start with the greeks, man.

There actually is one, but he doesn't post frequently.

Why aren't you reading chapman my good sir?

It doesn't replace Homer's poetry with its own poetry. It's also closer to Homer's own poetic technique. Aesthetically it's simply stronger.

Fagles is all right but he's no Lattimore. On the other hand he's no Fitzgerald, so good on him for that.

What to you think of Alexander Pope's translations? Are they closer to the original than Lattimore's?

I fucking hate them I hate them fuck Pope FUCK POPE

They're alright as their own thing though.

So which traslation do you recommend, i don't want any prose bullshit

Lattimore because it's not prose bullshit you interminable faggot.

There are other good translations, obviously, but Lattimore's what I'd recommend.

guys i started with the greekz and this fucking hesiod guy told me to wash my dick after i fuck my waifu and to put water in my wine while im at my wagecuck/farmcuck job so my head doesnt hurt

mfw greeks were fucking normies REEE

>Posseidon
>not Bosseidon

trash/10

Lattimore may be the best, although that does come up to personal preference to some extent.
I think that the only reason there would be a problem with any of those translations is if they were the only translations the anons will read. For something like this, multiple translations should be read.

>For something like this, multiple translations should be read.
For something like this, you "should" learn the fucking language and read it yourself.

Formal equivalence

I started reading the Pope translation of the Odyssey at the insistence of this board and I'm seriously pissed off. His structure and syntax are all over the place, and I have a hard time finding a way to enjoy the writing because he's made it extremely difficult to understand what he's actually talking about. Before anyone says I'm a pleb, I've read Paradise Lost and Shakespeare and had no trouble understanding either of them. I have no idea what Pope was thinking or how to continue with this book. Very frustrated that I can't continue with the Greeks right now.

literally false