Circe is way too low
Cyclops is too high

>ithaca not best
Reported

What's amazing about wandering rocks

it could be a thesis statement for the novel
the narrative binds together disparate perspectives by force
dublin is a cell

as for simpler pleasures, i just think its a lovely little interlude. I would never think of calling it the worst in the book

I liked when Stephen felt bad about his sister's being a poorfag, because I know that feel

>'s
Ignore that, please

My best to worst:

>Scylla and Charybdis
Holy shit OP, that low? Buck and Stephen are at their sharpest, Joyce has a round at critics, and the Shakespeare theory is incredible.
>Ithaca
>Penelope
>Telemachus
Mulligan and Stephen makes for greatness. I got high once and read this chapter and it was something out of Fantasia: Buck the high wizard and Kinch the solemn servant.
>Nausicaa
So comfy.
>Circe
>Eumaeus
>Cyclops
>Oxen of the Sun
>Hades
>Wandering Rocks
I agree with the other user, Stephen's interaction with his sister... Her taking up French: "Don't act surprised."
>Nestor
Love the Deasy and classroom interactions
>Calypso
>Sirens
>Lestrygonians
>Lotus Eaters
>Proteus (only one I'm really unsure about)
>DEFINITELY Aeolus

It's hard to rank them, for sure. The only chapter I do not absolutely love is Aeolus and maybe Proteus.

Calypso
Proteus
Hades
Telemachus
Nestor
Scylla and Charybdis
Ithica
Sirens
Circe
Oxen
Penelope
Nausicaa
Lotus Eaters
Lestrygonians
Aeolus
Wandering Rocks
Cyclops
Eumaeus

The best list.

Oxen of the Sun
Wandering Rocks
Circe
Ithaca
Telemachus
Scylla and Charybdis

Hard to rank them after that

Cyclops is fucking God tier

The part where the kids and then his coworkers imitate Bloom gets me in Aeolus

>Scylla and Charybdis
>Holy shit OP, that low? Buck and Stephen are at their sharpest, Joyce has a round at critics, and the Shakespeare theory is incredible.

Underrated section for sure. "Horseness is the whatness of allhorse." Still makes me heh when ever I think about it. This also feels like Joyce in his element more so than any other Stephen section.

I'm not either of them but I had a really hard time getting through the first half of so of Cyclops. Why did you like it so much?

Ithaca made me drop sum lil tears too desu

S&C is brilliant because of how much it reveals about Steven. The Shakespeare theory is garbage insofar as it's about Shakespeare. Steven doesn't even believe it himself. But the theory reveals a lot about how Steven sees the world. The theory is for Steven, not for Shakespeare.

Also "Nausicaa" is totally underrated. You need to read what went into it to appreciate it, but once you do, it's Godly.

I liked it because it's a detached observation of Bloom
And it's funny
>the parts with the Citizen being antisemetic while staring at Bloom and Bloom pretending not to hear
>"As true as I'm drinking this porter if he was at his last gasp he'd try to downface you that dying was living"

who Oxen of the Sun here

Oxen is frustrating until you figure out the trick.

What's the trick

it roughly traces the development of the english language all the way towards its destruction

Hi guys. I want to get into Joyce, what are some good pre reads before I dive in?

Would it be pleb to write all the different sections of Ulysses into the book? I want to memorise them so I can look smart

The entirety of the western canon before 1920.

Portrait gives you a lot of detail about Stephen's character so at least read that.

fuckin kek
this
besides that, just strap in to the 1905 Dublin Simulation Device in book format

Read Dubliners, it's Joyce on Easy Mode, though it's still fucking wonderful. Then read Portrait as suggests, to familiarize yourself with Steven a little.

As far as supplemental reading goes, I'd suggest reading Hamlet, and a few selected articles from the Summa Theologica, which you can probably find on a Catholic website.

>>Calypso
>Not ranking Calypso at second right after Penelope agreeing to eat shit.

Best subdued anti war piece ever written. "I'm looking at the war posters and all the men are clouded by (((Calypso)))" Joice is laughing at the censors, knowing they have no idea what he's talking about.

>Penelope agreeing to eat shit.

That's not what she agrees to, are you confused? Are you getting mixed up because in Penelope Molly gets up to take a shit?

If you wanted to be autistic
>Dubliners
>Portrait
>Hamlet
>Odyssey
>Aquinas
>Ibsen
>Aristotle
>More Shakespeare
>Dickens
>de Quincy
>Bunyan
>Yeats
>Venus in Furs
>Goethe's Faust
>Thus spake zarathustra
>
Uhh, this in no order btw just as i think of em theres more bu

It's there all right. Obviously nobody will talk about it, but when you get a scholar on the side, he'll definitely confirm it to you.

Bloom is obviously into it, could get it from time to time, but lately nothing, and while she's reminiscing she's looking on him and agreeing to at least do that for him again.

I dont think it is, post the sentence and we'll take a look at it. I'll bet we can sort it out :D