How do we save math education?

How do we save math education?

Other urls found in this thread:

functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13bd6h0f-Oa-QCSIhQYLAjanVqTMe5ZwE13GCFrUmlLU/edit#gid=0
youtube.com/watch?v=Jw33CBsEmR4
youtube.com/watch?v=WUvTyaaNkzM&list=PLZHQObOWTQDMsr9K-rj53DwVRMYO3t5Yr
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZHQObOWTQDMsr9K-rj53DwVRMYO3t5Yr
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdote
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This but split 6th grade math across 2 years and make all courses after probability optional.

To be honest, I think we should eventually get rid of teachers altogether (in a sense) and replace it with an interactive matrix of information (lectures, labs, games, texts, etc.) that reads and reacts to how each individual learns, and where each subject has multiple branches of different teaching styles, and the student learns each at his own rate.

So it'd be like an intelligent software where kids are first exposed to different styles of education for each individual subject, and the ones that inspires and informs them, individually, determines the branch of lessons that they pursue that subject in. And if they reach a step in a subject that they aren't getting, they can try a different lesson on the same subject taught in a different way. And the rate at which they progress through each subject is merely determined by how fast they're grasping the information, as determined through displays of the knowledge.

This is all theoretical, but I really do think eventually it's going to be something more like this. We could curate this system scientifically. I know this is unrealistic, but it would be better, right?

Why contain it? Once you realize hatred for math isn't some magical insecurity but rather the natural conclusion of subpar IQ you realize education can never make up for what isn't there genetically.

i was looking for this, thanks

it's literally a brainlet filter
math education is terrible but someone with an aptitude of math will discover the beauty of it by themselves and self-study
people who are shit in math will get passable arithmetic skills and hate math, which is ok for them

amerifats are literally cuckholds when it comes to education

you can't make this shit up

>"Save" Math Education.

Let students stop after grade 5, if they want to, and offer all subsequent courses to students of any age. This way, only those with genuine interest will consume resources, and there's as little penalty as possible for returning to mathematics once you discover its beauty on your own.

Red pill everything that thinks slow down improve retention.

Holy shit, I've been looking for this for a year, since I lost the data on my old HDD. Thank you, user!

I dont want normies near math OP

>Lua programming

It's very important for Dwarf Fortress modding and DFHack.

We can't. We're in the "why are we learning about math when they should teach us how to pay taxes" or "I'm never going to use math when I grow up, why should I learn it" era.

It's literally always been like this. Normal people don't give a shit about math. If you weren't an autistic neet this would be common knowledge

Stop hiring Education majors.
Fund Math/Education and pay them more.

This, the best way you can teach something abstract like math is if you actually understand instead of just memorizing meme methods and doing stupid songs.

bump

This will never happen. For obvious reasons, all teachers have banded together as a united class. If math teachers were elevated (as it should happen) the other teachers would be pissed.

Imagine this: All math teachers start getting paid double as they are (as they should) while all the other teachers get nothing because teaching English is nowhere near as important or delicate as teaching math. Those unions would riot and lobby like never before to be sure that either they get the benefits too, or the benefits originally for math teachers get watered down into benefits for all.

You just can't win. I really wish that being a mathematician was a strong political identity, and we were a separate class above the rest. That way we could easily use politics to our advantage and make it clear that others are inferior dogs compared to us, and that we ought to make 6 figures or even more. But we can't, especially not at the high school level.

A political union of college math professors is still possible though. I hope it happens.

No its worse now because people don't give a fuck about math AND they don't give a fuck that started teaching it the stupid way. They always used to teach it the smart way so that the smart people would notice the value but now, with common core, they are suppressing the features that made math historically attractive to a non vanishing minority

can't we have both?

i mean, that actually was to him: i agree that pedagogy graduates should stick to administrative, curriculum managing and research.

but i think it's extremely important to a professor to now lots about education. aside from learning lots about his class content.

how do you discipline

Does it need saving?
The more people that know math, the less valuable it becomes.
Master it and exploit the people that don't know it.
You don't hear hunters wishing their prey would learn what the traps look like and how they work so they can avoid them better.

In the thread... Austistic mathtards fantasize about their delusions of grandeur and immense importance, power, and prestige, to overcompensate for not having friends and never getting laid.

No doubt, problems that exist in the current system will continue to exist here. There would probably still be schools, or some system to ensure kids are spending proper time on each subject, and on all of them in total. But if the system is better, and more rewarding, and reacts and teaches on a more individual basis, I think they'd probably be more encouraged NOT to sherk it off.

t. undergrad

This is insane. And people tell we've become smarter as a society. Explain this then.

Why would you want to?

>inb4 some right wing cuck crap

We have more acces to higher learning so in average we are smarter. That doesn't mean we have a skewd distribution of geniuses. You are basically saying the extreme academic elitism reserved for a miniscule portion of the population is a representation of the average brain in a society, while, for a long time, peasants were completely ignorant beyond basic shit. College algebra is still bullshit though.

I only completed Business Calculus as I was a business major, and i feel like I missed out.

Where should I begin my math journey?

functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/

OR

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13bd6h0f-Oa-QCSIhQYLAjanVqTMe5ZwE13GCFrUmlLU/edit#gid=0

Kill p̶r̶o̵regressivism

fucking this, it was so blatantly obvious in highschool which ones were education majors and which ones were math/mathed majors

complete the full calculus stream: differential/integral/multivariate, ODEs. linear algebra too. then get an intro to proofs book. once you know how proofs work generally speaking, intro group theory, proof based linear algebra, and intro real analysis.

>We have more access to higher learning so in average we are smarter

Have you seen the pass rates in middle and high school? Access means nothing if people are willfully blind and ignorant.

>full calculus stream
Where at?

Niggers getting accepted into universities

lmao yeah implement this if you want a generation of VIRGINS

>teaching English isn't important
Imagine being this autistic

Imagine being autistic enough to fall for bait

Imagine being autistic enough to fall for this bait

>posts highschool exam score
nigger are you even trying

wow you got him

pirate a stewart book or use khanacademy or use paul's online notes

Imagine being autistic enough to fall for THIS bait

>stewart

those are 3 viable options for doing the introductory calc stream. pointing a noob to apostol or thomas is probably pointless.

This seems pretty reasonable desu. I was hella pissed to be taking alg 2 at 16

literally nothing wrong with this. only thing that's stopping that is the fact that current teachers and the teaching method is fucking arse, especially in the states where in lower end schools you have niggers doing the ooga booga dance all class and disrupt everone.

You couldn't even do it yourself user

get out normie

99% of people wouldn't make it past grade 2 on time, you haven't even developed the capacity for abstract thought at 7/8 years old. Surefire way to make schooling irrelevant

>you haven't even developed the capacity for abstract thought at 7/8 years old

Jean Piaget is a fucking quack. Stop citing him.
youtube.com/watch?v=Jw33CBsEmR4

Bullshit.

Is there any actual evidence to this?

holy kek

You know someone with a Bachelor of Education has to have taken so many credit hours in math, if they want to teach math, right? The local university where I am requires 10 term-courses of university level math, which seems well in excess of what you'd need to teach a high schooler algebra and trig.

By telling me how to solve:

f´(2) if f(x)=x^2

take the limit as x approaches infinity

Lockharts lament

Assimilating niggers into our society is literally the only reason for this

I'm an actual fucking retard so I don't even know how to properly structurize it.

The answer should be 4, so I've been told, but I can't reach it on my own. I tried doing 0.1^2 and then 0.01^2 but that didn't get me anywhere. I feel so fucking stupid and subhuman. Please help me.

something something epsilon something something delta
Just take the derivative

>Just take the derivative

How? The definition of the derivative is f´(2).

f'(2) is a point on the derivative, the derivative is 2x

I'm completely lost.

I thought f´meant the angle.

f´(2) should mean that f(x) =2^2, right? Or what am I missing?

I know this is bait but in general the derivative of x^2 is 2x so all you need to do is plug in 2 and that will get you 4.
In symbols:
f(x)=x^2.
f'(x)=2x.
Let x=2.
f'(2) = 2*2 = 4.

in general the derivative with respect to x of any term (x^a, a != 0) is (a*x^(a-1), a != 0)

I say term because the this can also work over addition for polynomials like ax^a + bx^b + ... + 1.

this rule can be derived form the (limit) definition of the derivative which I will leave as an exercise.

f'(2)= 2*2 = 4

I will forever cherish this moment, the moment I was so genuinely retarded that an actual brainmore thought I was baiting.

You've helped me understand a little better, but I still don't understand why we can turn x into 2, unless you mean that we take the two from the f´(2) and just use that as an x, which makes the other: f(2)=2^2 instead of f(x)=x^2

f(x) = x^2
f'(x) = 2x
f'(2) = 2*(2) = 4

your welcome

But think about this. Even if i knew you didn't understand the post was still bait
or is it

Ah ok, I get it now, you replace the x in 2x with the 2, which makes it 2*2

If you think you are capable of making 90% of students fascinated by learning math and grab their attention for long in an age when they all have access to youtube, netflix, spotify, steam, facebook, instagram, twitter and so forth then you're delusional. The only way to make most kids to learn math is for them to be forced by their parents.

where is the non-troll version?

By definition the derivative notationally (f'(x))
is the slope of a line that shares the point with the function (f(x)) so for
f(x) = x^2.
For x = 2.
on the graph we would have the point (2,4)
so if you could find a line (function) that passes through this point but does not pass through any other part of x^2 then you can take the slope of this line and it would tell you the slope at that point (x = 2) of the graph x^2

The function f'(x) = 2x (the derivative) is just a way to generalize the slope of x^2 from one point to the entire domain.

So you want an intuitive understanding of the power rule?
try videos 3 and 4 of this:youtube.com/watch?v=WUvTyaaNkzM&list=PLZHQObOWTQDMsr9K-rj53DwVRMYO3t5Yr

>want to become a teacher
>would like to teach math in addition to other subjects
>don't have a math degree
Is there any way to redeem myself, my brainy masters? I don't see why I need to take all these advanced university level courses just to teach kids algebra, trig and some calculus. Am I the scum ruining today's children? Is there any way such a person could be a good math teacher?

thats... thats how all functions work user.
Don't worry though, calculus has a way of making you forget earlier things.

Fix teachers first, I don't know how it is in other regions, but in Ontario primary school and middle school teachers have zero math education requirements. You can't expect someone to teach math decently if they haven't done it since grade 11, until teaching education is reformed math education will be stagnant.

It's not a troll.

No no user, people here are unironically autistic enough to think like this

Imagine you want to know the average change between two points of a curve, lets say the curve [math]f(x) = x^2[/math]. The slope between the points [math]a[/math] and [math]b[/math] would be if [math]b>a[/math] [math]\frac{f(b) - f(a)}{b - a}[/math].

Now you want to know the slope at a specific point of the curve to do this you make the interval smaller [math]\frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{x + h - x}[/math] where [math]h[/math] is a small number say maybe 0.01. The limit is when a number goes closer towards a number so we take [math]\lim_{h \to_ 0} \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{x + h - x} = \frac{(x+h)^2 - x^2}{h} = \frac{x^2 + 2xh + h^2 - x^2}{h} = 2x + h = 2x[/math] and now we have the function for [math]f'(x)=2x[/math]

Just understand said courses (as well as their applications) really well.
Unfortunately, and especially with calculus, many teachers have no other answer to "why?" than "that's what The Rule says". In order to teach well, you need an intuitive mastery (NOT rote memorization) of the topic you intend to teach.

If you need an intuitive understanding of calculus, check out this playlist: youtube.com/watch?v=WUvTyaaNkzM&list=PLZHQObOWTQDMsr9K-rj53DwVRMYO3t5Yr

sorry, I think I meant this: youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZHQObOWTQDMsr9K-rj53DwVRMYO3t5Yr

f'(2) just means the slope of f(x) at x = 2.

and f'(x) = 2x by the power rule

Well, that's what my intention was. I tutored math at the trades school I went to (barely high school level stuff) and I'd always look up proofs for all the algebra and trig related stuff we'd do. That way I could tell students where the formulae for the volume or surface area of a sphere came from, etc.

Barely anyone would pass

primary and highschool teachers aren't gonna be this qualified any time soon

Participation prizes are worthless.

Covering more topics has a higher likelihood that any given noninterested student would become interested and thus take an active role in their math education which in turn would increase pass rates

Source? A huge amount of the flynn effect is attributed to improvements in nutrition (same with height actually), I see no reason to believe that as impoverished countries develop further that the IQ would somehow drop.

Especially when we're able to properly adapt IQ tests to different cultures, rather than relying on a west-centric view of important cognitive attributes (particularly in regards to what sorts of puzzles or styles of pattern recognition we use).

This. Though teachers need to be able to control their classrooms, a huge amount of people just flat out don't give a shit about high school education. A good amount of people who are successful at university studies still don't care until they're already there, because it's easy as fuck to cruise through high school on pretty good marks.

Literally no-one would pass, it's either an absolute autist or a troll.

Stats alone takes a fair few sessions at university level, and they want to teach it to a comprehensive level in 9th grade.

>It doesn't even start at 100
Try harder

That would make sense, tests are only standardised to 100 as average in certain populations, but he didn't provide a source, and there's absolutely no reason to believe that claim, so it's clearly bullshit.

>how i wrote a longass blogpost about an anecdote

>how everything that doesn't confirm muh bias is an anecdote

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdote
This should help you