"who-e debel you? You no speak-e, dam-me. I kill-e." -Queequeg

Just started reading "Moby dick" today. Any thoughts on the book; advice?

I'm like a hundred pages in and they still haven't set sail or met Captain Ahab what the fuck.

Oh fuck.

as tiem goes on, note how ishmael becomes less and less a figure entirely: he begins to merge with nature, becoming more of the backdrop than the foreground, fading and dissolving in the solvent of all that is.
compare this to ahab, whose intensity only increases as the novel goes on--the focus shifts almost entirely to his obsession, his desire to dominate nature.

and so the two great forces are defined and set in opposition to one another. which one are you?

>reading for the plot

Melville is not for you

I just want to get to the good stuff, man. Isn't Ahab supposed to be the best character?

When did you realise Queequeg was a Maori?

He arguably is in hindsight, but the book gets less plot-focused when they hit the ocean, and Ahab initially only makes a few appearances. The good stuff is largely buried within tangents and ponderings, sometimes a scene really jumps out though. Don't focus on the book getting exciting, because you'll be bored until you reach the last fifty or so pages.

When it was written in the book in plain text

The entire book is "good stuff". Almost every line is filled with literary prowess.

If you cannot find beauty in the language, Moby Dick is not for you.

I suggest something a little more pedestrian for you.

>The entire book is "good stuff". Almost every line is filled with literary prowess.
If you don't understand the concept of one part of a book being more enjoyable than another, then I suspect you don't actually enjoy reading and are just a pseud.

American classic
New Bedfid!

One part being more enjoyable than another is completely subjective, and, garnering that the poster has not even read the entirety of the book, has the premise he is yet to arrive at the "more enjoyable" part.

Don't try and argue with me, kiddo. You haven't even read the book.

I like how he describes whales, especially their intelligence, which was unknown if they had any intelligence, so he concludes in the book; "No, his great genius is declared in his doing nothing particular to prove it."

the beginning when it's just ishmael and queequeq is one of the best parts of the book, quit being such a plleb

I finished it a day and a half ago, it's really nice. take it slow and read what he is writing.

'The Candles' is where Ahab has his best moment, but it's near the end of the book.

Get ready for 'Cetology'. You're either going to love it or put the book down forever.

Just finished Typee. It was like the pre-whaling part of Moby Dick, extended to an entire novel. Supremely comfy and hilarious, without any of Melville's overbearing philosophy and pseudo-intellectualism. Just a good adventure story, à la Stevenson. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys the the fun parts of Moby Dick but couldn't stand the constant digressions.

Get this genre shit off my board.

>Melville
>pseudo-intellectualism

1. Turn around
2. Head to your nearest home department store
3. Buy high-strength nylon rope
4. Cut to appropriate length
5. Take a five week knot-tying course
6. Think of where you went wrong in life
7. Tie a noose
8. Neck yourself you fucking idiot

Being good at manipulating words does not make you intelligent.

What does?

Being good at manipulating numbers.