Forced to take English Composition 2 in college as part of a liberal art 'foundation'

>forced to take English Composition 2 in college as part of a liberal art 'foundation'
>went from looking forward to something more recreational than academic to dreading course given the subject matter
>10 page paper due in a few hours
>suddenly understand and embody a sort of freedom, who the fuck cares
>currently typing away sucking Toni Morrison's giant black cock having done only a cursory reading of the actual material and replacing substance with generic leftist sycophancy
>not a shred of doubt that I will get an A
Academia is dead and so am I.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailycaller.com/2017/03/29/student-loses-marks-for-using-mankind-not-humankind/
youtube.com/watch?v=qOaqiCBum2w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

my diary desu

>English
>'liberal arts'
Fuck off.

t. Doesn't know what the liberal arts are

Prove that's you in the pic and I'll write your paper.

>gives the professor what they are looking for in a 100 level course
>thinks he's gamed the system

A waste is what they are.

It's not an introductory course, hence the 2 newfriend. And I'm pretty satisfied with my route, I'm going to breeze through the rest of this requisite indoctrination seminar the same way and it feels great.

So you, what, listened to some high school dropouts on youtube complaining about liberalism in universities and conflating that with liberal arts? Because it makes no sense for you to be posting on Veeky Forums if you actually know what they are.

No need user, this shit writes itself, all with the benefit of not having to read anything.

>Morrison captures the African American experience and subverts yadda yadda nobel prize yadda powerful modernism feminist askjd asksjdd

In most universities liberal arts programs have become a pretext for the cultural marxists agenda. They are the last men, and they have won.

Liberal arts just refers to a well rounded education, you moron. A liberal arts education familiarizes you with literature, philosophy, and science on top of whatever your major is. You're doing exactly what I thought you were: conflating liberal arts with liberalism. There are marxists and liberals in universities, and it has nothing to do with the liberal arts.

What it refers to and what it has become are two different things. That's kind of the point of the post you're replying to and fundamentally misunderstood. Maybe try a course in reading-comprehension/polygamy.

You're using it in a way that only those who have never encountered it in the real world do. The common thread between liberal arts schools isn't marxist cred, it's having a set of core graduation requirements covering a variety of fields. There's no factual basis for your usage of the term.

i don't give a shit. people stupider than you do the same thing and don't post on Veeky Forums about it.

>polygamy
Where do they teach this course

Are you retarded? Everyone knows what liberal arts means. You're fucking missing the point AGAIN. The courses have been coopted, they have a political agenda, their context has been selected and revised towards said agenda. YOU are using it in a way that only someone who hasn't encountered it in the real world, the recent world, would. No factual basis? Other than living experience right? One that isn't exclusive to me in the least.

I took it last year, NYU. Wouldn't particularly recommend.

>they have a political agenda

Nah.

You could go to the University of Toronto and fulfill your humanities requirements with Jordan Peterson courses. Liberal arts hasn't been co-opted, universities just have a lot of marxists. If you went to a non-liberal arts school you would encounter exactly the same problem.

I'll collect my A on this garbage essay and prove you wrong.

i took a philosophy course my second year of university. it was the dumbest shit in the world but easy as fuck. every one of my papers was complete bullshit yet somehow i managed to pass the class with a 93.

You can get an A on a good essay about right-leaning values. People like you who write garbage essays and don't take the work seriously are what's wrong with the liberal arts, not politics.

So what? The point is a terrible essay if it hits the right notes, clearly complies with the agenda at hand, will get a good grade regardless of its quality. The fact that it might be possible to get a decent grade with something original is irrelevant, outside of the fact you open yourself up to risk. There's plenty of cases that prove your statement wrong, people have been docked points for using gender normative pronouns.

>dailycaller.com/2017/03/29/student-loses-marks-for-using-mankind-not-humankind/

etc

As a follow up to this, saying liberal arts is garbage because universities are filled with marxists is like saying two-handled faucets are garbage because your city's water isn't clean.

Technically yes, contextually no. It's like saying faucets are garbage when most cities' water is unclean. This is the new norm.

>liberal arts
>liberal
>not being co-opted from the very beginning

Reminder that the American pragmatists in the early 20th century were similar in political pedagogical outlook to the 60s new left in making democratic radicals out of students.

There are schools that are not liberal arts. There are faucets that are not double handled. The faucet isn't the problem either way.

>People

That's one student, user. And you are trained to write academically, which involves adopting a position of neutrality.

You could argue against these points if you wanted:

“By the same token, I will still need to subtract a point because your choice will not be made in the letter or spirit of this particular class, which is all about having you and other students looking beneath your assumptions and understanding that ‘mankind’ does not mean ‘all people’ to all people. It positively does not.”

“The issue goes beyond ‘political correctness,’ for my colleagues and I recognize that words help to create our reality, power dynamics, and relationships among people,”

>The point is a terrible essay if it hits the right notes, clearly complies with the agenda at hand, will get a good grade regardless of its quality

Showing engagement with the material taught will get you good grades.

They're not even filled with Marxists, they're filled with business majors, accountants, and lawyers.

Liberal arts is a type of education, you fucking idiot.
2 is introductory you fucking idiot.
You're taking a single course, that isn't an example of anything you fucking idiot.
Liberal arts is: me having to take courses in science and art as well as visit another fucking country to get a philosophy degree.
What you think liberal arts is: OMG WTF FUCKING FRANKFURT SCHOOL JEW BLACK FEMINIST ASSHOLE PAINTING WHITE GENOCIDE MATRIARCHY

Your head is so far up your ass, you could give yourself a prostate orgasm by chewing

>t. Doesn't know what t. means

>Showing engagement with the material taught will get you good grades.

I think is the case. if you display what seems to be critical engagement then that will be reflected by the grade. Also, it's about arguing well (on a position you don't necessarily and/or whole heartedly agree with).

>not being co-opted from the very beginning
which perhaps leads/traces back to the interesting question of how the left/right perceive the function of education

I think culturally in the public imagination (who don't usually use the prescribed terms of political language the same way the academic field does), there have been jokes about the "liberal arts student" as having a certain type of politics (that's more of an emerican thing because usage of political terms are oddly inversed).

terms (particlarly "liberal"/"liberalism") get conflated or misunderstood all the time in popular language

but yeah, liberal arts is just a type of education (and as stated earlier there are different conceptions of the function of education depending on whichever political wing - the liberal arts was formed to educate the european elites/or is some kind of left-wing free-or-all according to some anons here, and by extension rightwing conservative America)

>right wing
Education for skilled labor
>left wing
Education for social reform

And both are wrong

what does the t actually stand for

Some Finnish word that roughly means "signed," as used in closing a letter.

>easy research paper assigned
>worth over a third of my final grade
>have always relied on style to make up for occasional dearth of substance in less interesting subjects
>have never gotten less than an A on a paper
>do it the night before with the utmost confidence in my ability to pump out another A paper
>get a 77 for not following instructions

I just want to blow my brains out. I am deeply ashamed and will never recover

>Education for skilled labor
Isn't this a kind of social reform?

>Education for social reform
I wonder about how definitive this is. As somebody who is (ahem) left-wing an education to me, and probablly for most other people who are left-wing, is to create citizens who can critically engage, which can effect social reform.

>get a 77

what is this in terms of the metrics? is this bad?
i've never been to university so i don't know

It should be the same as at high school, unless you're not an American.

C. It's mediocre

yep, i'm no american.
Well, hopefully you can appeal to get it redone or there'e always next year

youtube.com/watch?v=qOaqiCBum2w
I feel you senpai

America ruins Asians.

The fact that writing a paper exactly how a professor wants it to be written is a lot more important than the actual content has always infuriated me.

Composition 1 and 2 courses exist to subsidize the rest of English departments. TA's and adjuncts teach the classes, and they're essentially empty courses meant to make sure that the students can do the bare minimum expected of them in terms of writing essays. You're not supposed to learn anything from those courses unless you're really not ready for college.

This is really funny, because the system is gaming this person. They're paying hundreds or thousands of dollars to sit through a mandatory course that isn't meant to be difficult, but this person still thinks they're special for being able to pass the class.

Mandatory composition 1 & 2 courses are the only thing keeping English programs alive, so I feel ambivalent about the system, but nobody should expect composition courses to be worth their time unless they have an exceptional teacher that goes above and beyond anything required of them, which will be rare, because most people teaching composition courses lives on the poverty line.

>taking calc 2 "Weed out" course as an engineer this semester
>infamously hard class at my university
>go to every lecture and take notes for the first 4 weeks of the class, think I'm doing well
>get a 72 on the first test, average, realize the questions were completely different than what was covered in the lectures and the professor was just teaching to the homework
>stop going to class the rest of the semester and started reading the book, got 92s on the next exams, averages were ~60s
>realize I've paid $1500 for a class just for some dumbass TA to put my scantron through a machine and that I've taught myself more efficiently

Yes, academia is dead, but I need that degree.

>tfw currently writing a 4 page report on volleyball for my sports appreciation class elective

it was either this or golf in a fucking swamp

It's not that it's dead. It still exists, but it's funded by fleecing undergrads and paying TA's less than minimum wage to teach you.

>stop going to class the rest of the semester

all classes at my university will drop you from the class if you miss a certain amount of days

My smaller, more specialized courses do, but for general math/science, the classes are 600-1000 people and they don't take attendance.

>This is really funny, because the system is gaming this person. They're paying hundreds or thousands of dollars to sit through a mandatory course that isn't meant to be difficult, but this person still thinks they're special for being able to pass the class.
Haha, fucking idiots going to college, amiright?

It's the plumber life for me, buttcracks and benjamins all the way.

2? Like 102 right?

Dude, you're writing a fucking paper for your bachelor so the prof can see if you read your material or not, this shit isn't 'academia'.

Toni Morrison is a very good writer though. I'd certainly be disappointed if you missed out on great writing because you think all black people are dumb or other such nonsense.

This is something that always amazes me at these people, they think their shit essays are part of academmical discourse or whatever, when in reality some poor post-graduate will have to trudge through piles of shit while the professor bangs his 18 yo students or whatever it is professors do.

You can tell he's a freshman by the way he's upselling the importance of it.

I took Calculus I and they just asked me to solve a bunch of Integrals.

I didn't discover any new theorems or prove any conjectures.

No doubt theyre gonna give me an A.

When did mathematics die?