MARS COLONIZATION THREAD

ITT we discuss the dangers, rewards, health problems, and ways to fix problems with colonizing Mars.

Main Goal: Multiple generations of humans born exclusively on Mars living their entire lives on Mars with no outside help beyond getting setup for the 1st generation's lifetime.

Essentially, we want to prevent what you see in this image due to low gravity as well as many other possible health problems. Terraforming is not an option.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars

Problem 1: Prevent Radiation Health Problems
Problem 2: Prevent Gravity Health Problems
Problem 3: Sourcing Water
Problem 4: Sourcing Oxygen
Problem 5: Sourcing Electrical Energy
Problem 6: Creating Food
Problem 7: Sourcing Ores and Technology Resources
Problem 8: Social Dynamics (Morale)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_Mars
chvnoticias.cl/nacional/joven-con-extrana-enfermedad-tiene-favorable-recuperacion/2016-06-09/231517.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_Mars

Just as I thought. Veeky Forums is full of posers.

Forget Mars without nuclear reactors to power the energy intensive industrial processes needed - glacier melting, electrolysis and so on. Solar panels will be huge bottleneck and might prove fatal for the whole thing.

Jello babies are just a meme, there is no evidence supporting that martian colonists would be jello babies.

Fucked up bones are a problem with NO gravity, not martian gravity.

There's more evidence from NASA and astronaut health as well as experiment health all on record to say it can possibly happen than there is evidence of it not happening. There's going to be a curve for how much gravity we need to develop properly and I'm sure it will be well above that of Mars' meager gravity.

Step one is actually researching the effects of long term partial gravity. We know what 1 G does to people, we know what 0G does to people, we don't know what the curve in between looks like.

Mars has shitloads of gravity faggot, no biological process that works at 1 G wouldn't work at 3/8ths G. Now, when you start getting to actual low gravity, like Ceres or the medium sized Moons of the solar system, then that may cause development problems.

Wrong. Lower than 1G is detrimental in a number of ways. Jello Babies is not a meme.

>shitloads of gravity
>0.377g
>37.7% of Earth gravity

That's pretty terrible. I'd reserve "shitloads" for something closer to 75%.

Agreed. It also fucks up so many weird systems in the body too.

>researching the effects of long term partial gravity

NASA or whoever needs to get some spinning shit up ASAP. They could have several labs dedicated to different force levels going, all at once, for more immediate results.

Fake.
The shuttle could never lift something so big since it would never fit.
You can see bubbles occasionally.

we arent going to mars we are just going to show that earth is flat then kill everybody and send the reaction to nasa

this webm is so sad
he is completely 'normal' mentally, but his body looks like he just ascended from the 6th layer
one day we'll fix you, bendy man

It looks like the guy decided to look up at a heavy object as it was falling down on him.

Skylab launched on a Saturn V rocket, not in a Shuttle. What do you mean by bubbles? do you really think people underwater move like the guys in the video?

Centrifugal motion could prevent gravity health problems, but requires human inhabitants remain in orbit. Maybe it would be best to master this kind of habitation in Earth orbit, then move into orbit around Mars. Robotic laborers could take up perminent residence on Mars and send minerals into orbit for processing.

He probably thinks the camera and set (skylab) are rotating while the man jogging is at rest with respect to earth's gravity.

The shuttle didn't even launch for the first time until a few years after Skylab had already fallen back to Earth.

>bubbles

At what time and where in the video?

The only thing humans need is living space. That can be done in any location with proper spin or gravity. It is the worst hurdle. Everything else is easy, even if you need 20 feet of shielding to do it. For all the other needs, robotics can perform that and perhaps at most a rotating skeleton crew. The only thing needed to be sent to where people live are finished products.

Build space-based habitats for people to live on, and import what is needed. Turn Mars into a bigass strip mine (after spending decades researching everything about it of course) and ship the resources off world. People would only stay on Mars for short periods before returning back to the space-habitats around it. Most work would be done by machines operated from orbit.

Take Venus, terraform it as needed, put people on it to live there full time. You've got gravity just below that of Earth, some bizarre yet manageable seasons, you'd have a shallow sea, it's perfectly doable.

Once we get fusion mastered then all of this becomes even easier because each space-habitat can also run its own fusion meaning space-mining becomes even more useful.

Permanently living in the 4th camp from Mount Everest at 7000m altitude would still look extremely luxurious and safe compared to living on Mars. Even after several decades of building all the ground infrastructure there.

For it to be attractive for colonization you would have to spend hundreds of trillions and probably >1 century of building all the infrastructure there. I dont see it happening.

I don't see why that would be the case. On Mars you're in a can, but it's a climate controlled can with greenhouses and ipads and shit. Camp 4 on Everest is a camp, not a settlement, and it doesn't have a nuclear reactor.

you do realise though an iPad without internet is kind of a useless device really. Enjoy your shitty mobile games. Because thats all that thing can do without internet. Also, if it breaks, its gone, because there are no replacement parts there.

Also, you are not going to have that much leisure time on mars, anyways.

No reason internet won't be there, it'll just have terrible latency. If we're going to colonize Mars we're going to give it a constellation of communication satellites anyway. There's no reason we couldn't set up a system where movies and shows and books are sent over via satellite and stored on a hub accessible throughout the facility. You won't be able to shitpost on Veeky Forums, but you can watch game of thrones. As for leisure time, even if people don't get days off, there's no reason anyone would be working 18 hours a day every day. People would more likely be working 8 or 10 hours a day, then have a few hours to themselves, not including sleep. As for replacing things, there'd be newly arriving shipments of stuff coming every ~2 years as the sinodes line up. An Ipad or laptop doesn't weigh a lot, even if they did shit the bed all the time they could just send a few spares every cargo shipment and you wouldn't have to worry.

Forgot to mention, on Everest you're breathing very dry and thin air, on Mars your habitat is pressurized to 1 bar just like at sea level on Earth and the humidity is kept right in the comfy range. You also don't have to worry about something poking a hole in the wall because you're either underground or covered in a layer of regolith several feet deep for radiation shielding anyway.

Communication between Earth and Mars is 3.03 minutes to as much as 22.4 minutes one-way. Double that time for two-way of course. You can still shitpost on Veeky Forums, to your heart's content. It just means waiting forever to see the replies. That's fine for the slower boards.

The only real problem is that pesky low 0.377 gravity.

You'll have the same amount of leisure time as you would on Earth working a regular job. Humans still need rest & relaxation and that means structured working hours balanced with relaxation hours. Otherwise, the same degradation of health occurs.

Sauce on this gif?

>You'll have the same amount of leisure time as you would on Earth working a regular job. Humans still need rest & relaxation and that means structured working hours balanced with relaxation hours. Otherwise, the same degradation of health occurs.
Sure, but as a first wave colonist you're going to be busy. Costs being what they are you can't ship up a lot of dead weight until things are well established, or attrition is high enough you just need warm bodies to pad your margins.
And when you're going to be cooped up in cramped habitation pods, keeping your colonists occupied is probably going to be pretty important for the social aspect.
Unless you're shipping a complete colony I assume that the first wave is going to be the ones expanding the initial site. so things only get bigger from the origin, which means there's an incentive for the first wave to be digging like motherfuckers.
Also, just because a signal takes an average of ~12 minutes to go between the two bodies doesn't mean your google search will wake ~24 minutes from the time you type it in, until you see the results, because there's still the issue of bandwidth. I imagine that would be a thing that greatly improves over the lifespan of the colony, but for a while its going to feel like you're on dialup again. Enjoy watching pictures of boobies load pixel by pixel again.

>There's more evidence from NASA and astronaut health as well as experiment health all on record to say it can possibly happen than there is evidence of it not happening.
Bullshit.

Most of the zero-g problems come from lack of gravity effect on fluid in the body. Under moderate gravity, this makes standing similar to reclining. People on Mars will likely spend more time standing, since the load of standing is reduced. Plenty of people spend most of their time reclining, without serious health consequences. In zero gravity, it's comparable to the effects of 24/7 head-down bed rest, which is terrible for the health.

Besides that, there's muscle and bone wasting, which can be resolved with exercise using weighted clothing, weight training, or exercise in centrifuge facilities.

The evidence is much stronger for reduced Martian gravity having minor, manageable health effects. However, fractional gravity research with centrifuge stations in LEO should be a top priority.

>Sure, but as a first wave colonist you're going to be busy.

Are you NEET, because you should be just as busy now as you would be on Mars, if you are employed. Work loads simply don't increase unless you go from being a janitor at a mall to an emergency room surgeon during a bombing.

Bandwidth isn't a problem really. What you end up with is suddenly pop-ins of data. Like everything is very fast loading for the time the signal first reaches you, until the download is complete, but latency kicks you in the ass on the initial request. Packets and such will be handled differently obviously. No more double checking and shit at the same time it downloads/uploads.

It isn't bullshit. You can google it yourself, it is a valid statement. In fact, the rest of your argument reinforces that statement. Some things can't be resolved just yet on the ISS. We simply don't have a curve yet. We only have two hard points of data.

>However, fractional gravity research with centrifuge stations in LEO should be a top priority.

We need a kickstarter.

>Are you NEET, because you should be just as busy now as you would be on Mars
Yeah, but I also live just on the edge of a major metropolitan city in a company with a global distribution infrastructure and I run an entire team, so I've failed up to a position where I don't really answer to anyone, and get to do what I want. I make a concerted effort to do "just enough" these days as a matter of pride since I could literally do nothing and no one would be in a position to bring the hammer down.
If I was a First Waver though, I'd be super invested in helping establish and expand out colony, if for no better reason than I fully expect to have, at the very least, a street or colony dome named after me for being one of the founders, you know.
Not people being worked like slaves by corporate overlords, but explorers diamond hard at the prospect of a showing a frontier that somehow thought it wasn't going to be conquered what happens when someone tells a human being "You can't live there, that's off limits."
Maybe I'm just naive but the prospect of colonization always brings out the bold, flag planting, adventure seeking, boundary pushing, fuck-you kind of individual that IS the personification of the human spirit. It's enterprise and endeavor, for no other reason than just to see if it can be done.

>Maybe I'm just naive

More romanticism than anything. I'm now a farmer. I see colonization as balancing cycles and working to make those cycles self-sustaining.

>balancing cycles and working to make those cycles self-sustaining

correct mentality detected

Step 1:abandon mars/planet meme
Step 2:fall for O'Neil cylinder meme
Step 3:spacefaring civilization

chvnoticias.cl/nacional/joven-con-extrana-enfermedad-tiene-favorable-recuperacion/2016-06-09/231517.html

>You can google it yourself, it is a valid statement.
Don't be a shit. I'm clearly better informed on this than you are. Don't tell me, "you can google [my vague and weasel-worded claims]".

> the rest of your argument [against it] reinforces that statement.
You're just so full of shit. You're arguing that the evidence leans toward Mars gravity being seriously harmful to human health than otherwise. It doesn't. It leans rather strongly toward Mars gravity being relatively easily tolerated, with some basic measures.

And if you say, "I'm only arguing that we're not 100% certain!" then you can go fuck yourself, because you never had anything to contribute in the first place, and shouldn't have posted on the subject. You can argue the "I'm just saying we're not 100% certain!" position for unicorns existing, and there's just no discussion to be had. If you're going around implying that the fractional gravity effects are going to be a huge health problem that we need some solution to, then retreating to this agnostic position when challenged, that's just being a worthless asshole.

>We only have two hard points of data.
It's true that we've only had people living in actual Earth gravity or in orbit for prolonged period of time, however, we can account for the various mechanisms by which microgravity causes harm to health, and experiment with them on Earth, for instance with prolonged bed rest experiments, and adjust the experiments to simulate fractional gravity.

We don't always have to try something specifically to have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen when we do.