What is consciousness, Veeky Forums? Can science ever hope to answer this question?

What is consciousness, Veeky Forums? Can science ever hope to answer this question?

A series of electromagnetic waves occurring in a system known as the brain.

The brain trying keep everything going

Consciousness is the word we use for one of the functions the program running on your meat computer (aka brain) performs

i would add its a collection of distinct (sometimes mutually exclusive) functions that we collectively label consciousness because we lack proper vocabulary because we have no idea what we're trying to describe.

there is no consensus on this answer and there won't be until the object in question is properly defined in 50+ years

----------------------------------------------------- brainlet line

Self-referential knowing of a substantial unity.
Imagine a an abstract "greek atom". An empty indivisble unity(an infinitesimal point in space if that helps) . Now implant it with knowledge, random information. It is informed or "knows" this knowledge. Now imagine a monad which instead of being knowledge of random information, is informed of it's own informative process. What it knows is that it knows.

Eat some psilocybe cubensis and let the gnomes tell you

>What is consciousness

Having experiences/qualia.

>Can science ever hope to answer this question?

I don't think so and it does not need to.

Something that comes "with" science. Litterally.

Aren't you curious as to what qualia is in its essence?

intellectual pattern-recognition recognizing itself
when you enter a flow state you're not strictly speaking conscious

I am but it seems to me to be out of reach, that's all.

Maybe, but I still think an understanding can in principle be possible, if science is allowed to expand and at some level at least model the properties of qualia, even if we can never understand what it really is.

It is probably the result of an extremely powerful and well-connected information system. Much of our wiring stems back to the sense of identity, which itself comes from the drive to survive. You must first have a concept of yourself as an individual before you have a desire to preserve yourself. From here, you get everything based on that subjective experience, provided by your senses.

>implying qualia exist

Is this guy meme?
He always struck me as one of those guys who practice IQ tests.

He was smart even before he took any IQ tests

I suppose it doesn't if you're a p-zombie

Who /chalmers/ here?

oh look, it's chris langley.

A categorical set of a priori characteristics, directly related to qualia, sensations, and perceptions. We will never understand this to the fullest extent.