Stephen King Discussion

Currently listening to the 'It' audiobook and enjoying it. Though damn does Stephan King waffle and slow the narrative to a crawl.

Favourite book? Memes about how awful he is?

He has to draw out his narratives because he can't write a satisfying ending to save his life.

I enjoyed Salem's Lot and The Shining (though I thought most of Kubrick's changes were improvements)
I thought the ending of The Stand was ass

Examples?

It's probably because his books are more like serial television series than a singular film-like story: it's hard to end TV series due to all the open ends.

I liked Salem's Lot. Really nice to have a more straight up vampire story done well. The movie dropped the ball on the head evil vampire.

I downloaded this a while ago but never started it
Is it spooky in audio?

I first read It at age 12. Then re-read it at least twice as a teenager, along with The Regulators/Desperation, The Stand, Cujo, Christine, The Eye of the Dragon, etc. Insomnia had some amazing visuals but otherwise was some of the slowest shit I've ever read, and I think that turned me off him.

Probably my favorite King book was co-written by Peter Straub. See pic related.

Not really to be honest. Kind of fun in a pulpy way though. It's heavy on the child abuse family drama which I like: the 'scary' scenes aren't really scary but instead feel like 80's horror.

I should add I haven't read any of King's other big works. The Dark Tower series, Salem's Lot, Misery, Carrie, The Shining. None of those.

I know him by Tommyknockers and the Carrie retread Firestarter, etc. Dude can spin a tale. It won't be literature with layers of meaning, but it'll be comfy.

jesus christ isnt at least this board safe from shills

IT is his best book. I loved the pre-teen gang bang

I always say that his short stories and novellas are a lot better on average than his full length novels because he doesn't give himself enough time to fizzle out with those. Used to read him a lot when I was fairly new to reading and didn't really know many other authors.

The Dark Tower, The Stand, the list goes on.
>his books are more like serial television series
This isn't even true.

it's a stephen king containment thread, dummy what did you expect. people are going to talk about his work. be a man and stop your fucking whining jesus christ

anyone know what to read before The Dark Tower? and please no "In this one he explores the same themes" hooplah, just the ones with actual recognizable aspects.

I've read Salem's Lot and It, and half of one book about a one-armed painter I didn't finish. I find King's writing a trudge to go through, the pacing of his scenes is television-like in what I've read.

It has references to a shitload of his other books but there's really no prerequisite required reading. It's also not even that good as a whole.

I completely understand, but I cab lower my standards easy peazy. For example I'm reading one of his short story collections Everything's Eventual and I'm enjoying it, I know one of the stories is from the same setting as DT.

11.22.63 has a good ending

though i agree The Stand is bad

Sounds dope to me, will probably start soon.
The whole 45 fucking hours thing is a turn off though.

He's probably referring to the fact that a new IT film is coming out later this year.

On Writing is good beginner's advice for intermediate writers. I enjoyed Under the Dome, It, The Stand, Salem's Lot, 11/22/63, The Long Walk, and Rage but I haven't revisited King since I seriously got into literature.

Fav books: the first version of The Gunslinger and Wizard of Glass, his most uncharacteristic work along with Eyes of the Dragon. Night Shift, Rage, The Long Walk, The Dead Zone and Roadwork are really good too.

On Writing was cool but didn't really offer much workable advice: but I'm sure smaller insights like the toolbox analogy have stayed with me.

There are different versions?

I was going to start listening to it but it's 44 FUCKING HOURS LONG. and the book is over 1100 pages isn't it? Idk it's worth the investment.

King just wrote that scene to get his dick hard. You all know it's true.

His short story and novella collections really bring out the best in him. Having a limited page count forces him to rein in his worst aspects and prevent him from meandering.
I'd recommend Night Shift, Different Seasons, Four Past Midnight, Skeleton Crew, Nightmare & Dreamscapes, Hearts in Atlantis

And ours, user.

I thought all the pedos hung out on /tv/.

Veeky Forums is just a bunch of anons pretending to be edgy user.

Tbqh it was pretty hot.

'It' feels very romantic for a 50's childhood. Also interesting how Derry seems to 'need' Pennywise.

I don't understand how that analogy makes any sense.

Ok

Pic related. Short stories.

'It' is a great book, but the new movie looks terrible. From what I remember, the whole reason Pennywise is the shape of a clown because he needs to look friendly and harmless to attract kids, even though he's secretly a monster that will fucking murder them. Making him look like some visibly evil doofus with pointy teeth misses the whole point.

That said, Running Man and The Long Walk are awesome.

I'm halfway through the book and Pennywise rarely lures people to him. If anything he's clearly a danger and is really scaring his victims into paralyses to get them.