Astrophysics

Is dark matter real Veeky Forums ? Or just space magic ?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Model
thoughtco.com/kelvins-clouds-speech-2699230
arxiv.org/abs/1710.11425
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Last piece of the puzzle before we finish the Standard Particle Model, any other particle is an extension of theoretical theories. Almost depressing physics is actually coming close to an end soon, there's little we can't explain within the universe.
Look into "Axions" not axioms if you're curious though about Dark Matter being reals or not.

We're actually just the thought of a being much more advanced being than us. Some call it God.

(OP)
SOME of the dark matter has been found to be cold hydrogen between galaxies.
The rest remains unknown. "Axions" are only one proposal and zilch evidence they exist.
None of the alternatives to dark matter, such as MOND (modified Newtonian dynamics) has been able to match observations.

These "physics is coming to an end" laments come by as routinely as "The world will end on Tuesday" scares.
We know Relativity and Quantum Mechanics are incommensurable, we can't predict (on a theoretical basis) the masses of any elementary particles, String theory demands a half-dozen unobserved dimensions and the Standard Model is a kluge. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Model for a listing of some of its problems. Not to mention dark energy.

Read thoughtco.com/kelvins-clouds-speech-2699230
One of the greatest physicists of the 19th century thought there was nothing left to do in physics except measure things to additional decimal places. There were just "two small clouds" between us and total understanding. Those "clouds" turned out to be the first hints of Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.

I'd advise to get over his depression. He should study current physics and/or take Prozac.

> Searching axions, SIMPs, WIMPs

I am depressed in some extent. All of these models has flaws and they only makes my curiousity risen.

So to your ideas WIMPs or axions as a better candidate for space magic ? And why ?

String theories are far too complicated for brainlets like me tho...Still I don't know why people love the idea about axions.

Abilify > Prozac

You don't have to understand String Theory.
I threw it in just to illustrate that there are still many areas of science "incomplete".

If you _are_ interested in learning about astronomy, cosmology, and (a LITTLE) string theory (all very non-technical. No mathematics whatsoever) Brian Greene's "Fabric of the Cosmos" is pretty good.

its a really bad name for something we have very little idea about.

I'll take your word. "Prozac" is well-known and the first drug which came to mind. I am not a doctor or pharmacist.

Agree with you there. It's "transparent", not "dark". Whatever it is doesn't seem to be affected by the electromagnetic force.
But we're stuck with the name now.

Dude, my major is physics. Still all of these papers I read answer none of these question I have.

Still string theories are too complex, at least for an undergrad like me.

They're not even the same class of medication though, you're comparing an anti-psychotic to an anti-depressant.

Dark matter was debunked recently.

Dark matter and energy are a meme

arxiv.org/abs/1710.11425

Dark matter doesn't exist.
>theory gives results with errors that are several orders of magnitude greater than the measurement
>fudge it with fairy dust instead of dumping the theory
>think we are anywhere close to finishing the puzzle that is physics
Nigger, you retarded. No wonder you buy this shit.

>SOME of the dark matter has been found to be cold hydrogen between galaxies.
Bullshit.
Cosmologists and astrophysicists really are the absolute bottom of the barrel scientists, on par with sociologists.

we're nowhere close to being done with physics you retard

Refrain from posting if you have anything to add

>physics almost close to an end
>once there wasn’t a universe or energy or matter and then suddenly there was
>user used his accidental consciousness created from a highly sophisticated clump of atoms in his head to, in a blink of ’””””time””””’ (whatever that is) during his short existence, make this shitpost
Ok

The bullet cluster is a thing.
>PIC RELATED

then you attempt to explain galaxy halos by MOND ?

Time is a meme.

There are alternative explanations for the Bullet Cluster, dum-dum. There is literally NO evidence of dark matter to date. It's fairy dust.

elaborate on those explanations then, please

Yes it's true. Recent LIGO findings BTFO'd MOND theories. Also check out the MOND guy's lack of [math]\mathcal{PHENOTYPE}[/math].