Lolita by Viktor Nabokov

I haven't read the book yet and in the perspective of an ignorant such as I, I could not fathom why people love Lolita so much.

I've seen its summary. I've read its plot. There really is nothing baffling about it aside from it being another typical pedophilia story.

Is it because of the writing style? Is there an underlying philosophy that Nabokov wants to convey in this book? Explain why should I write this book cuz shit's expensive af!

fucking READ IT

The plot is actually you reading it. It is the story of the jury.

Holy fuk ur stoopid

LMAO gonna buy the book now then. I was having a dilemma between the Little Prince and Lolita son I'll probably just buy both.

Don't bite. Sage and report. Make Veeky Forums great again.

>another typical pedophilia story

what books do you read user?

what a strange dilemma.
they're like total opposites.
kinda.
i guess they're both about snot-infused-sentimentialism-designed to disguise inherent perviness

Disregarding the fact that this is obvious bait as evidenced by calling old Vlad "Viktor", you haven't even grasped the full enjoyment that the plot can offer. You've read a summary that most probably omits all the misderections and feints that made Nabokov consider naming his work "Anthemion". This is complicated even further by the fact that not only Nabby himself, but HH as well is fond of playing with words. But this is not all. There are even genuinely touching scenes in the book, amidst all these sadistic games the author plays for our enjoyment there is real suffering, most prominently of course Lolita's, but also Humbert's, however loathsome he may be (Be warned though, for HH these moments are extremely rare and an inattentive reader might not be able to distinguish them from his false mawkishness). I think this mixture of playfulness in tone, where the author intervenes in the world to create pleasure for the reader, and the burden of genuine emotional struggle some characters have to carry is what prompted Nabokov to call Madame Bovary, a work that masterfully displays these facets of writing, the finest work of French literature.

Lovecraft and Gaiman these few months. I usually read horror fiction and I'm trying to leave my comfort zone with Lolita and Little Prince.

I know right? But my professor said that in some certain aspects of it, they are similar. Perhaps he's referring to the social commentary side of these books?

The target audience are just different that's why it looks different, so they say.

So basically, the book has more to offer other than pedophilia? I was only skeptical in buying it because its expensive here desu. I know some people said I should download a PDF but physical copy master race.

No, literature is anime, everybody who reads this obviously likes little girls. Seriously though, just steal the ebook and get an annotated edition, you will need it you fucking pleb.

nah i literally think your professor means they're both about a perv.
The little prince is technically about a infantilized man-child who longs for the undeserved love of a woman he pushed away with his gross reality the same way lolita is.
the thing is lolita is more honest, it lets you know youre listening ot a perv.
The little prince hides behind being a childrens book. realliy it's jst about someone who needs to man the fuck up and be real for a bit.

one is a childhood of an avg boy and the other is a childhood of an avg girl so these are VERY complementary

>annotations

NEVER do this user. Be like me and read this over the course of your life several times. I read this without knowing the slightest bit of French (Nabokov sprinkles French and German here and there). The effect was meant to simulate an American's culture shock for HH's strange ways.

Reading it again after taking French classes, the puns are chuckle-worthy. Do not get annotations; read it like Finnegans Wake.

Both books deal heavily with themes of childhood and adulthood, and how they interact. I can definitely see a sophomore-level course about this theme and books like TLP and Lolita as the main readings.

So should I read Lolita first or The Little Prince? I'm really convinced in buying both. Fuck if in don't have money anymore as long as I get to read a book worth being famished.

thats a bad idea probably.
just read the little prine online.
its a really basic book.
its good for what it is but its not lolita.

>another typical pedophilia story.
what typical pedophilia stories have you read

Ah I see thanks user.
This is probably the first time I saw Veeky Forums collectively sucks a book's dick just for what it is.

The Lovely Bones. I guess I have a lot to learn.

>for what it is
thats the reason anyone does anything.
It's just a better piece of literature.
The little prince is thematically srong but naive and flawed and not impressively written.

tell the public you liked the tlp more though. dont be autistic.

>Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins.

God tier first sentence!

Little Prince is heartstring pulling shitstory grounded in nostalgia, it's fucking tumblreddit shit.

>Lovecraft and Gaiman

a wild pleb...

Read the book, no review can tell you the master piece that book is. And No, its not another pedophilia story, it is the first, and just for that it deserves to be read

>I've seen its summary. I've read its plot.

I hope this becomes a meme

>should I write this book
Have you had enough of Cervantes, Pierre?