I really want to learn physics from the beginning. Is there any kind of chart floating around on here of books to read?

I really want to learn physics from the beginning. Is there any kind of chart floating around on here of books to read?

And when I say from the beginning, I mean from the beginning. I know a lot of you are probably advanced in it and consider a book in mechanics to be "the beginning" but I mean like starting from the scientific method of investigation.

Other urls found in this thread:

staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/index.html
Veeky
exir.ru/solutions/
feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/
archive.org/search.php?query=creator:"L.D. Landau & E.M. Lifshitz"
kestrel.nmt.edu/~mce/Electromagnetics_by_Griffiths-1.pdf
fisica.net/quantica/Griffiths - Introduction to quantum mechanics.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

if you're older than 16 and have no prior knowledge forget about it.

I was studying oriental languages but changed it 180 degrees so now I need math and physics - Doing fine in math but physics is still something pretty dark for me - is it really that hopeless to try and become somewhat decent in Ph from the age 21?

fluid IQ decreases drastically as you pass your teens.

so it becomes harder both cognitively and motivationally to learn something completely new.

of course you can learn but you will be slow.

Damn, that sucks - on top of that, I don't want to whine a lot, but I had a very bad time at high school that got me depressed for all of my teen years - everything from 14 was a complete waste, actually I dropped everything and stopped studying arabic because of that. To be honest all this math thing is just an escapism for me. But whatever, guess I'll try it anyway, although I'm pretty retarded.

Just because you posted the cutest 2hu.
Veeky Forums's sticky has the link for the Veeky Forums wiki where you an get a lot of resources.

YOU will be slow because YOU are a brainlet don't speak for people with 90+ IQ

oh um sorry.

go OP. you can do it, you can do whatever you want. don't let people affect you. there is no age for learning.

Oh and OP, don't listen to the retards ITT, you brain keeps developing further in your 20's.

Assuming you at least know basic algebra this textbook is a good introduction to physics.

staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/index.html

Owh, didn't notice it heh, thanks a lot
and for these too

There is no use to learning physics without first learning math. If you're interested in starting from the scientific method, you're gonna have to pick up books on the philosophy of science, but that's pretty much useless for all intents and purposes.

If I was memeing, i'd tell you to read up to algebraic geometry and topology and differential geometry. Because only then can you really start to interpret modern physics, and even classical physics, with the methods of symplectic geometry.

However, you should start by first being good at all the assumed high school knowledge. Go through Algebra, Trigonometry and Functions by Gelfand - they're pretty short reads. This is of course optional, if you skipped it in school, or are simply bad at it. Then go through the book How to Prove It by Velleman. Then go through the entire Calculus by Stewart - this is the classical book for undergraduate calculus sequence and has thousands of exercises. After this go through Linear Algebra done Right by Axler, finally this may sound pretty meme tier but there's a very good and short book called "A book of abstract algebra" by Pinter, pretty cheap, to the point, and intuitive.

Now you should be able to start physics without having the crutch of lack of mathematics. First book you should get is University Physics by Young and Freedman. It's a standard freshman undergrad physics book, and introduces 5 major paths - Classical (Newtonian) mechanics, Electromagnetism, Thermodynamics, Optics, and modern physics (some relativity and quantum theory).

After this, Taylor's Classical mechanics is a classic, and Griffith's electrodynamics / quantum mechanics too. For the other topics, I dont know. After you finish all these you may ask again. Should take you a couple years if you're motivated.

S T O P
T
O
P

M A K I N G
A
K
I
N
G

T H E S E
H
E
S
E

T H R E A D S
H
R
E
A
D
S

WITHOUT LOOKING AT THE FUCKING STICKY!
>Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Physics_Textbook_Recommendations
IS IT REALLY THAT FUCKING HARD?!

>S T O P
>T
>O
>P
>M A K I N G
>A
>K
>I
>N
>G
>T H E S E
>H
>E
>S
>E
>T H R E A D S
>H
>R
>E
>A
>D
>S
>WITHOUT LOOKING AT THE FUCKING STICKY!
>>Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Physics_Textbook_Recommendations
>IS IT REALLY THAT FUCKING HARD?!
cringe

Plebbit newfags, please leave. The sticky isn't a new thing, if you didn't know it was there, then you shouldn't even be fucking posting.

Look up what books high schools use and get one of those. I know what books I had but it wasn't English.

>Look up what books high schools use

No, don't. Look up what books freshmen at college use. They are written assuming 0 background. High school books are just freshmen books with random stuff removed forcing you to read freshmen physics twice.

Resources for High School Curriculum:
Irodov: exir.ru/solutions/

Resources for Undergrad Curriculum:
Feynman Lectures: feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/
Landau-Lifshitz: archive.org/search.php?query=creator:"L.D. Landau & E.M. Lifshitz"
Griffiths: kestrel.nmt.edu/~mce/Electromagnetics_by_Griffiths-1.pdf
fisica.net/quantica/Griffiths - Introduction to quantum mechanics.pdf

Additional Resources (find on lib.gen.rus):
Kolenkow & Kleppner - An Introduction to Mechanics
Taylor - Classical Mechanics
Goldstein - Classical Mechanics
Jackson - Classical Electrodynamics
Morse - Methods in Theoretical Physics Vol. 1 & 2
Shankar - Principles of Quantum Mechanics
Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development
Townsend - A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics
Sakurai - Modern Quantum Mechanics
Von Neumann - Mathematical Foudnations of Quantum Mechanics
Schenk - Classical Field Theory
Peskin & Schroeder - An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory
Srednicki - Quantum Field Theory
Bjorken & Drell - Relativistic Quantum Mechanics
Schwarz - Topology for Physicists
Schwarz - Quantum Field Theory and Topology
Wightman - Spin, Statistics and All That
Fujikawa - Path Integrals and Quantum Anomalies
Strocchi - Symmetry Breaking
Strocchi - An Introdution to Non-Perturbative Quantum Field Theories
Atiyah - Geometry and Physics of Knots

fuck off. the sticky is shit and no one should even mention it.

I downloaded Gelfand and started Irodov - thank you, anons, that's just what I needed