>6th mass extinction
>ecosystems collapse
>accelerated climate change

Where are we going?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Mc_4Z1oiXhY?t=23m10s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Stage 1: hunger
(1st world gets by with food prices going up)

youtu.be/Mc_4Z1oiXhY?t=23m10s

It'll start with the oceans, and there needs to be more research on the response of phytoplankton to ocean acidification (which will obviously deteriorate their calcium carbonate shells, but at what rate). A large amount of marine life (around 25%) can face extinction due to the end of coral reefs, possibly even by the end of the century. Temperature rise at this scale can prove to be similarly destructive although less is known about the effects of this, since the only comparable event we have data on occurred over a longer timescale (20000 years vs 200 years) during the paleocene eocene thermal maximum, which still resulted in a large dieoff of deep sea foraminifera.

>Where are we going?
Nowhere good.

>This indicates that even if society were to decarbonize at a rate consistent with the RCP4.5 pathway (which equates to cumulative CO2 emissions about 800 gigatonnes less than that of the RCP6.0 pathway), we should expect global temperatures to approximately follow the trajectory previously associated with RCP 6.0.

What they are yet I know not, but they shall be
The terrors of the Earth

I live in a western nation so unless my country decides to do something stupid like taking in million of refugees i'll be fine.

>i'll be fine

>humans in civilized country will experience significant negative effects
Maybe in Europe because they'll accept hundred million refugees, dumb fucks.

The western nations caused climate change. It's basically modern day imperialism, destroying poorer countries for your benefit.

Also refugees wouldn't be a problem if all the countries shared the load. Think about Russia or China or Canada taking refugees. We would need to provide the means to transport them, but that's too much cooperation for our retarded leaders.

How about not taking them ?

Why the fuck would the first world countries accept refugees? You do realise that if that happens, and it's not a guarantee, it would be a massive downgrade for any host country. Even assuming you're completely right and there is some moral obligation to do so, it would significantly negatively impact their own people and game-theory wise, the country that doesn't do so will benefit long term.

Like all /pol/ arguments about importing a bunch of uneducated savages aside, why would you import a significant number of people that aren't guaranteed to integrate in your functional society and which will be a major strain on the system? Objectively, in the long term who will be better off, Russia which accepted barely any, or France which added 20 million? Do you think that the regular people will accept that kind of a strain and inevitable tax hikes for something they justifiably didn't cause? You're seriously asking for a fourth Reich there.

Best case scenario for the US is to poach a small number of actually valuable members of society and leave the rest.

Yeah dude refugees would still be a problem if we all took 'em because people in Africa and South Asia just keep on breeding like crazy. Also do you think nations like India and China are western? They sure do pollute a lot.

implying it wont be the western countries getting fucked (especially usa where all non flyover places are on the coasts)

>a significant number of people that aren't guaranteed to integrate in your functional society and which will be a major strain on the system?
Sharing the load solves this. It wouldn't be that many refugees and integration will be much easier. Integration is inevitable when the numbers are manageable.
>Objectively, in the long term who will be better off, Russia which accepted barely any, or France which added 20 million?
Sharing the load solves this.

>Also do you think nations like India and China are western? They sure do pollute a lot.
Pretty sure I mentioned China for taking refugees as well.

Sharing hundreds of millions (supposedly) genuinely affected, not to mention a massive number of those that piggyback on them as shown with the recent refugee crisis, is still a disastrous strain on the western world, no matter how shared. Say there are a billion people in the first world, adding 500 million of barely employable people that cost thousands in integration and education is not only unsustainable, it will cause literal wars. Right wing is experienced a huge rise in the developed world from just a couple million. You're literally asking for a race war.

To space and to an age of hyper advanced technology where the above mentioned don't really matter if we delay them long enough

>there are people who think declining populations are bad
Really though we have to get Africans to wear rubbers

Get off this western world nonsense. I've mentioned China several times, which already matches the billion you mentioned in the western world. Countries like Saudi Arabia already take a shitload of refugees. I'm talking about a more world-wide effort, so stop bringing it back to the western world.

I'm 25. If I keep it up, my life expectancy brings me to around 2079. Although I'd very much like to achieve the century-mark.

Things are projected to be pretty shitty by the end of the century. Sometimes I think about how the entire second half of my life will experience the decline of global ecosystem.
I'll get to experience that.

Unless we do something about it.

>yfw you hear the News that your favorite animal just went extinct

Whats with humans thinking they can say what nature should do? Dont you get that the ecosystem is a very complex non linear system and you have no idea how our actions will affect nature

certainly not positively

do you by any chance go to college in IL? I looked at the same exact study

This thought makes me really sad user

>Citation needed.

I have a lot of those these days

>do you by any chance go to college in IL?
Nope.

>I looked at the same exact study
It's just a collection of pages from the 2014 IPCC summary.