How was your college experience?
Are you pursuing a career in academia?

Other urls found in this thread:

oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/downloads/academic/The_Future_of_Employment.pdf
gravitys-rainbow.pynchonwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pynchon_and_Brian_Wilson
twitter.com/AnonBabble

computer science, i never leave the house except for classes, no

>tfw too stupid and poor to go to school even thought its your dream

Nothing at the moment, if I get into academia I will major in philosophy or other McDonalds-employ-core major

I went to community college for about 6 months and have never had a real job.
I have sever agoraphobia and i have not gone outside in years, im pretty sure i also have something called Schizotypal personality disorder

Computer engineering.
My school is shit but it's cheap. Profs suck the life out of the subjects, making them just a bunch of facts to be memorized.
I am most likely going to get a comfy industry job. If all goes to plan, it'll pay well enough and not be so stressful that I can go home at the end of the day and just chill out and read lit.

MS in Accounting; I imagine I'll be a fucking accountant.

majored in history
did very well academically but horrible socially
two years out and i still can't find a job (but i spent the first of those years deliberately avoiding the hunt)

None but i pursued Theology, Philoposhy, Accounting, English. History, Math 100, and dropped out after a few years of not doing anything.

I barely had one
>online

No

So help me out anons i just left my fiancee after living with her for a bit and now I miss her, she misses me too and every day I am lending her emotional and social support. I'm schizoid so it makes it hard for me to be in a group like a family (when I visit her very active family I feel in the twilight zone) I think I broke up with her because I was having a severe schizoid urge towards hermit-ism. I haven't left my room and this is my first time on the internet in a week I just sat in my room enjoying the silence

majored in my diary desu

Can't help you, mane, I've been this whole week inside my room reading Pynchon and singing beach boys songs. Maybe I'm schizoid too, but I got diagnosed bipolar. What is the twilight zone thing? Does it feel like your ability to relate with other human beans and almost all emotions get shut down?

>singing beach boys songs
nice, my man
"i just wasn't made for these times" is one of my go-to songs for when i'm sad

I've been reading 2666 and it really makes me want to study philology.

I spent 2 years in Computer Science until i got severe depression, failed miserably and had to quit. Now i switched to Psychology, but just to please my parents. I´m only killing time and pretend to study (i´m in a online college) until i commit suicide.

Pretty much. Too much chaos and noise and everybody just going about like a hive. I'm used to the boring routine of waking, reading, thinking, sleeping.
Living with a nonschizoid is a very challenging and fun experience. Just need to establish I am a bit of an odd person with my maybe partner

Graduated with a history degree.
Working at a library now and in a position to make a career out of it but have started taking math courses to possibly do computer science.
I like the library but the salary cap is kind of low and I just feel like I could do better.

I could finish at the community college by next summer with an associates and from that point I could go to a local average university and save money or to either of the two top tier computer science programs in my state but I would probably have to take out loans to afford it. Both of them have designated job fairs and stuff exclusively for their computer science departments so I think it would be worth it.

too many possible paths desu..

>human beans
lmao
human beings*
ftfm
I like how bossa-nova it is without sounding bossa-nova at all

Has anyone done a Masters?

Thinking of doing one in a humanities field but unsure whether it is worth it

Money isnt an issue

I'm doing STEM but considering majoring in English or Philophy and pursuing academia. How stupid or naive is this, assuming the only thing I like in my life is reading and I don't mind making a small salary?

Obviously if you were engaged and you're still in contact with her you love her at some level. Also if you were engaged I presume you've been together long enough for her to understand your condition a bit. If she loves you too she'll be willing to compromise between your chosen quiet demeanor and her outgoing one.

Man, then I get those too, specially in school, maybe I should tell that to my doc, but I fucking hate going there
good luck with your schizoid and sentimental shenaningans
>
>tfw ywn translate obscure literary german authors
Bolaño really made a good job selling me those non-existent books

if by academia you mean teaching high school, sure, by all means go for it.

Majored in English. Now pursing a master's degree in computer information systems so that I can get an actual job.

I have a PhD in English.

Think Tank sort of guy

Really? Even if I get my Phd from a tier-2 school? I don't think it's THAT abysmal. I just want enough money to live off of and do research with comfy humanities bros

Pretty naive. Liking reading does not imply that you will like academia. From what I can glean, academia isn't the /comfy/ type of work that it at first seems to be. Also it is competitive and there is, surprisingly, little demand for people to sit around and read and write philosophy papers. Good luck finding a tenured position at any school that isn't in the middle of nowhere.

Currently a biochemistry major with an interest in environmental science and neurobiology.

College is variable but mostly good. During periods where I'm not swamped in work it's quite enjoyable and I get along pretty well socially even though I don't put any effort into making friends or anything. But during periods like now where every class piles on a ton of overlapping work, it can be extremely high stress.

I was originally planning on staying in academia, but I've heard enough horror stories from other bio and chem majors about grad school to stay away. I disagree with contributing to any industry who's only real goal is more production for more money, so the trick is just finding a non-academic job that contributes to some kind of higher goals.

>Good luck finding a tenured position at any school that isn't in the middle of nowhere.
What's wrong with working at a school in the middle of nowhere?

Also, what are Veeky Forums's thoughts on law school?

>economics major
it was a joke, i'm still unemployed because i'm a social retard
My college experience mostly consisted of me lying in bed and wondering why I was so excluded from all campus events. Didn't help that my roommates were also aspies in the same boat. Then we discovered league of legends and wasted years playing that shit instead of doing anything productive. Now we're all just alcoholics who always message each other "KMS" in our group chat but we're all too fucking gay to actually do it.
I only got a gf in my last semester of college, and it was from taking a random philosophy course as a free elective. The fact that I got laid from the one time I took a non-required course for fun makes me pretty mad desu.

I majored in engineering, went on to get a PhD, and now work in industry.

I hate my life.

This is what scares me
One of my best friends did a five year masters in aerospace and now he works for NASA, but the loneliness is getting to him so he's becoming an al/ck/oholic

Major in Applied Linguistics, Minor in English Literature.

I plan on smoking a lot of weed when i graduate.

I was English (Creative Writing concentration) and Political Science double major, with a minor in Literature. Graduated in December.

Am going back to grad school next fall in a Publishing & Journalism masters program, and then will eventually be going back at some point for a PhD in English. Couldn't go this fall because I owed some money to my undergrad institution and didn't have enough money for the GRE and all that in time to get my applications in.

Getting ready to start a job building cell phone towers for $17 to fill my time in the interim.

$17 an hour*

Majoring in math. Not sure if I'll pursue a masters yet.

Electrical Engineering. Got comfy job, feels good man.

>studied STEM for a few years and was miserable
>dropped out and am now an electrician
>love active work and have plenty of money and time to pursue whatever I want

finally made it fellas

>finally made it fellas
Yeah but do you get laid

>Engineering
How difficult was college in comparison to HS?

rarely, I am posting on this board after all

This is exactly how I imagine all of you being.

Because I'm like that too. Almost exactly. Only I have schizophrenia and I was in the psych ward for a month last year.

Its kinda comfy when you can spend all your time reading and shitposting and playing vidya.

tell me more about yourselves, electric men

Engineering is not hard. But maybe it is to Veeky Forumsfags who piss their pants at the thought of """""""""""""""math""""""""""""""" (aka basic fucking algebra/trigonometry/etc.)

I propose the following hierarchy, from brainlet to intellectual:
>Veeky Forumsfags
>engineers
>social scientists
>
>actual scientists
>
>
>
>
>
>mathematicians

I'm the electrician

I do physical work all day which I love, electrical work is much more technical and less wearing on your body than other trades but you still learn plenty of tool skills and you don't feel like a useless office cunt

where I live you can make as much money as an EE, hours are great and if you go out on your own as a contractor you can work whenever you want - starting your own business is where the money is at though

Afternoons are completely free and you're not mentally drained like you would be as an EE

Great job security too, all in all 9/10 occupation

Haha roasted!

>tfw only good at STEM but love and respect art and the humanities more

curse this lot

I'm considering majoring in accounting only because it seems like an in-demand job with great job security that I don't have to take home with me every night -- allowing me to work on my writing. I don't really have any conception of how the job really is though. Do you think that it's something that can be done on auto-pilot? Something that won't drain me intellectually by the end of the day?

>job security
might want to rethink that user
oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/downloads/academic/The_Future_of_Employment.pdf

One year left in my philo degree.
Was a singularly isolating experience as I forced myself to live on nothing in order to have cash to travel in some 3rd world shithole during the summer break.
Will likely head to China to teach engrish, because fuck the West

Currently majoring in accounting with a minor in finance, after switching my major like 6 times. I'm in my 6th semester and still doing general ed because I failed so many courses. I'm actually getting kicked out because my grades are abysmal. I don't plan on going back, I never wanted to go in the first place. It's been a miserable three years. I have no goals or ambitions at all and will probably kill myself sooner or later.

sounds dank

>What's your major, Veeky Forums?
Business. I personally can't stand it.
>How was your college experience?
Terrible. I regret every decision I've made about my education. I also take out my frustrations by being the worst poster on this board.
>Are you pursuing a career in academia?
I'd love to, but it's not in the cards and likely never will be.

What's your plan user?

>Majoring in corporate finance
>Minor in international finance
>Have a job lined up in the financial sector, aiding major conglomerates set up and work with China once I'm done

I'm switching careers after 5 years doing various machine learning / AI related jobs which I got into after doing a double degree in computer science and psychology, but I got bored of that. It's the future but I'd rather be the one financing it all rather than coding it all.

>tfw community college drop out
>tfw i was going for mechanical engineering
>had this plan of going to to a bigger university after getting associates degree.
>meet girl via the internet and talk for months
>finally meet/visit her in califormia (while i live on the east coast.)
>like her so much i return to california a few weeks later.
>after my second visit i tell her im going to move there and finish getting my assoc. degree there.
>she drops me.
>i get depressed and drop out.
>also quit job

Been jobless for a few months till today. Just started as a package handler at Fedex, i have no idea what i am doing.

Im not sad anymore just fucking lost

Dropped out of school when I was 13. Never did university.

Had a job once as a medical secretary but it was terrible and I quit after six weeks. It was too stressful and I have this thing about interacting with sick people, so it was a terrible fit for me and I was only in the job because I got roped in by someone I know.

what are u up to now?

I can't think of a pleasant future, so I just try not to think of it. As far as I'm concerned, any time more than two weeks from now doesn't and will never exist.

I get that it's a stupid and unhealthy way to view the world, but it's what helps keep me going.

I went to business college. I teach english and italian to my fellow beaners

>tfw suck at STEM so no job, suck at humanities but good at art which does not guarantee a job

I'm about to graduate with an MSc in accounting, I'd recommend it. High employability, good salaries, and the degree itself is probably the most versatile business/econ related major.

Most of my friends who are about to graduate or have graduated with a masters in accounting are not working in public or industry accounting, but in a variety of roles. I'm personally currently working in management consulting.

Get good grades and you can pretty much pick your workplace/career and tailor it (in terms of e.g. demand) to your liking.

>mfw I got an offer to do a PhD in the field and it sounds kinda fun
Dunno if I should give up the sweet consulting money just to fuck around uni for a bit longer.

Depends where you work. The people I know who work at Big Four firms are treated as slave labor and barely have any time to themselves. I don't know if it's any better in industry. I hope it is

I don't think the work is actually that hard per se, it's just really tedious.

Accounting is super easy but it's soul-chrushingly boring. My dad works in accounting and regrets his choice every day. I've tried it myself as well and it's absolute bullshit. Not recommended.

>Will likely head to China to teach engrish, because fuck the West

>philosophy majors

I did a locksmithing apprenticeship for four years and learned a shitload of useful stuff but the important bits of paper I have and don't have really fuck me over. I am a very good welder, for instance, but would have to do a year long course to be able to inform people of that ability.

And next year i'm giving it all away to study Russian linguistics and try to make money crafting and selling replica swords to weeaboos on Etsy. I like collecting skills and the end game of it all is a sort of ascetic self-reliance. I want to make 100% of my own food and make as close to 100% of the things I need, including a house. Money is a spook, every decision I have made that is financially motivated has made me miserable. I tried to 'go straight' for a couple of years and got an office job with the government and I was rolling in cash but completely unfulfilled.

It was honestly pretty chill. I got to work on an internationally recognized literary review as an editorial assistant all throughout my undergrad. My poetry professor was only one generation removed from studying under Derrida, he studied under one of his students. I published some criticism and poetry. Presented some research at various conferences. And now I've got some time off before I head back in. All in all, 4 out of 5, would choose this path again.

Going to law school and not doing particularly well because I am trying to keep up my old reading/writing quotas

Failed community college and end up graduating from Welding school. Currently looking for welding work.

I'm a philosophy instructor at a community college.

History and secondary education
I'm enjoying it so far
Maybe some day

Describe why your feelings changed or grew stronger after doing a STEM degree.

I'm doing a Chemical Engineering degree rn and am already having feelings of doubt and lacking will to go on because of my own thoughts...

I would love to hear about your experiences.

>I've been this whole week inside my room reading Pynchon and singing beach boys songs.

gravitys-rainbow.pynchonwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pynchon_and_Brian_Wilson

ayy lmao

is it comfy?