Calculators

Hey Veeky Forums. What's the best calculator for high level math and science? I'd like one with a computer algebra system so I'm currently looking at the HP Prime and the TI Nspire CX CAS.

Also calculator thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/taking-the-test/calculator-policy
ncees.org/exams/calculator/
Veeky
ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/453/45310.html
github.com/nathanfarlow/SymbolicDerivative/
youtube.com/watch?v=zoGl8-Wc-L0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

numpy

I got that one it is very nice.

A smartphone with a browser that has wolframalpha.com favourited/speed-dialed

The TI?

I like muh physical buttons. Plus I want a graphing calculator I can show off to /g/.

OP here. I was looking at the Casio FX CP400 L and I'm liking what I see. I've never used Casio calculators before though. Are they good?

I have the HP Prime and so far it's pretty good

Uni exams only allow a shitty $20 non-graphing calculator. 99% of the work doesn't make use of it anyway, exact form is expected.

For everything else uni provides me with MATLAB and mathematica access.

High school was different and I got good use out of my TI-84.

I love this calculator.
Any other CAS calcs that Veeky Forums recommends?
I mean something better than the Nspire CX CAS

I use the nspire cas. Great calculator, if youre in physics or engineering at uni its great for taking derivatives or integrals really easily, and for solving systems of equations. I find it much easier to input things there than in wolfram just because of formatting.

I've never needed anything else

>TI Nspire CX CAS
I literally have this sitting on my desk right now as I type this and I find that it's a wonderful calculator for all of my purposes. A calculator is a calculator though. I'm used to working with scientific calculators, so this thing was a huge upgrade for me and it's way more intuitive to use. I'm not exactly a calculator expert but I think it's great.

Not related to the OP's needs, but who else uses this for basic science? As a calculator for anything chem or basic stats related, I've found it's perfect. Super easy to use, notation is fantastic, love it.

Why just WHY would you ever need/buy a pocket calculator?
Don't you have a fucking smartphone or a computer?

Even better when I remember the numbers for all the stored constants I need after 3 years of use.

Most importantly for school user. And I just like them. I have disposable income, and I like physical buttons. Maybe I didn't make it clear enough in the OP, but I will need to use the calculator I get for SATs and other tests, so I want one that's allowed for most things like that.

I do. You're right, it's very useful.

You can't use graphing calculators or CAS systems on any standardized test, underage faggot.

I have the inspire cx CAS and it's great for what it is, but you don't need it (and most likely won't be able to use it) for high school or lower division courses. Learn how to solve basic algebra and calculus problems by hand, turd.

user I'm afraid you might be functionally retarded.

collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/taking-the-test/calculator-policy

Your computer or none

I have an old TI-89 from the late 80s. It does anything I need it to (definite/indefinite integrals, some infinite sums, basic differential equations) and it looks inconspicuous

>SAT

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Underage plz.

>ncees.org/exams/calculator/
>The only calculator models acceptable for use during the 2017 and 2018 exams are as follows.

>Casio: All fx-115 and fx-991 models (Any Casio calculator must have “fx-115” or “fx-991” in its model name.)
>Hewlett Packard: The HP 33s and HP 35s models, but no others
>Texas Instruments: All TI-30X and TI-36X models (Any Texas Instruments calculator must have “TI-30X” or “TI-36X” in its model name.)

yes. i was forced to do it because it's only allowed on the FE and PE so engie classes forced us to use it. THe constants in it and conversions are a God send. It also is great for stats classes. Basically it does everything a graphing calc does but show graphs. It solves functions even.

user, calculators in college math classes are not allowed period. You can get expelled if you do (it's akin to using a cellphone or cheating on an exam). You can however use calculators in physics, chemistry, and engineering classes BUT not graphing or programmable.

You said you can't use graphing calculators on any standardized test. I demonstrated you were wrong. Your only argument has been
>lel underage

>calculators in college math classes are not allowed period.
It's up to the professor's discretion.

the PSAT is not the SAT, cunt, and is used to determine eligibility to a useless and meaningless "honor society."

>hey, user, solve this system of linear equations on your calculator to prove your merit!!!

Gr8 test, amerifats

I've had this one for 6 years. It has lasted me through the last year of high school and the 4 years of mechanical engineering.
It's ok. It's powerful, but what it has in power it lacks in maneuverability. The Casio () is the exact opposite. It is very nice to use, but it's not as powerful as the Nspire.
You also have to take into account this . I could bring my Nspire to a lot of exams, but there were professors that didn't let us have programmable calculators, so I used my trusty Casio fx 995 es plus. Other professors didn't let us have any kind of calculator at all; only a pen.

Power wise only the HP Prime beats the Nspire, but usability and speed at which you can move data around is important, too, and in that regard the Casio FX wins.

we weren't allow programmable calculators for any exam, had a casio 9400 gx too and got away with using the ti once. handy calculator for checking things over and over, better than having to type it in wolfram.

have never used it since graduating.

>have never used it since graduating
Same.

senior physics user here. the standard TI-84 is all you'll ever need. Anything """better""" is just a waste of money

they are

TI-89 used to be the top calculator, but I haven't looked at the market in a few years.

schools don't allow devices that have wireless like SMS, GSM, BT, Wi-Fi because cheating

Anyone who needs anything more than a TI-83 with a few macros installed or a TI-84 bare metal is a fucking retard.

After that you should be using a computer anyway.

Mathematica is free on a Raspi, btw.

>anyone that doesn't use my favorite thing is a retard
t. retard

I've gotten by pretty well with the TI-84 Plus, but then again my school's got a list of 'allowed calculators' that you need to stick to.

Unfortunately (for me) the nspire, and Casio calculators aren't on there.

This thing got me through high school. Had to replace the batteries once. I always carry one around with me when I go out. To be honest I wouldn't use anything else just because I have so many muscle memories for it

I use the CX CAS computer software for most stuff, Wolfram Alpha for differential equations and stuff that CX CAS can't do, and Desmos for graphing.

the ti84 is more expensive than the nspire cas

I've never needed anything else

I've never needed anything else.

You must be over the age of 18 to post here.

so no gf?

if the ti-84 is enough than the ti-36x pro is enough and FAR cheaper at $20. IT's basically a ti-84 but without graphing. Even includes a functions table.

Just use your phone.

100% best calculator

Correct, it is.

What's so good about it? Doesn't seem very impressive.

GOAT calculator coming through, graphic/symbol calculator fags need not apply.

because it isn't designed for brainlets

>tfw

Just use mathematica lmao

i fucking love this calculator. most of my exams only allow the 32 sadly but it's useful for general work. i prefer it to my 84 in most cases except for doing stats and matrices

Have you guys used photomath at all? I find it's usually pretty good if you just need to quickly check some work you've already done. I don't know how in depth it's usage can be though. It's fine for calc at the moment.

Bump

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_material#Calculators

Haven't used a graphing calculator since I was in high school. If you need a cheap reliable one then you can't go wrong with the TI-84 (I used the 83, but they're pretty similar). Otherwise just use wolfram alpha.

Thanks user.

I just use my uni's standard calculator, not allowed to use anything else on exams

why don't they allow this calculator on exams? Because of it's calc features or something?

>What's the best calculator for high level math and science?

A computer

Only true answer.

Depends on the professor, my friends calc 3 professor didnt allow any but mine did so I used one. Most other math classes didnt allow calculator but some physics ones do

Do you think they should allow calculators?

yes, otherwise we'd have no more engineers

TI-84+ is literally all you need. Can do everything from stats to calculus and is sometimes even permissible on exams (depending on how shit your uni is)

>matlab god tier

Why not have it all in one package?

You already have a computer, why duplicate it in a lesser form?

What makes you think I have a computer?

>is sometimes even permissible on exams (depending on how shit your uni is)
Are you saying universities that allow it on tests are shit or vice versa?

You can get better for cheaper, tho.

>it's basically a graphing calculator but it's not a graphing calculator
whoa

You just posted it.

HP Prime is better.

or download the app? and pay once for step by step solutions

best calculator
2nd best calculator
/thread

obligatory

a graphing smartphone app that lets you type qwerty

Why are TI calculators so popular in the US? I barely see them in my country

These two links will turn a ti 84 into a nspire, and the problem with a nspire is that there are not many apps that are built for it. The attached links are for symbolic and for a 3d graphing tool. Enjoy! :)

ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/453/45310.html

github.com/nathanfarlow/SymbolicDerivative/

Because TI has a monopoly on the schools.

see the video in youtube.com/watch?v=zoGl8-Wc-L0

>americans

I fucking love this calculator, the interface is god-tier.

pff easy