Why do people shit on biology

Just curious, why do people on Veeky Forums Shit on biology majors so much? I've never really seen that before. Not trying to b8 or piss people off, I genuinely want to know.

Other urls found in this thread:

math.uconn.edu/~kconrad/math1132s14/handouts/taicomments.pdf
peelified.com/index.php?topic=23582.msg1469805#msg1469805
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because of a bias toward mathematics and physics.

dude stamp collecting lmao

Biology isn't really useful in the economy, it's more of a personally useful thing to understand.

It's very niche and there aren't many career paths, many biology majors don't end up with a career that relates to biology, and that's fine, but it makes others think that it's a waste.

Fair enough. It's true if you don't have a clear plan of what you want to do with your degree, you'll end up doing low pay lab work.

>What is pre-health professions

>what is medicine
>what is medical research
kys

kys you fucking retard

>Become Biology major
>figure out how to reverse/stop/delay aging
>Gain much more time to study real subjects like math

R8 my plan Veeky Forums

Why not follow my plan?

>Do electrical engineering
>Make a bank off robots and shit
>Do biology
>Combine forces to become immortal roboto-cyborg boy
>Merge with the singularity

Engineering undergrads just being engineering undergrads. No big deal.

anything besides pure math or physics is considered stamp collecting
but I'd like to see people do biology from a physics point of view, from the ground up, like with the standard model
I bet that would be hard as fuck

You’re joking right? The pure math guys here are the biggest pricks in term of making fun of others for their major.

Why would anyone shit on the only subject that requires you to create posters to pass? I don't know.

I never understood bio = stamp collecting

What do you think biologists muck around with animals, learn a thing about how monkeys shit different when you feed them barbecue ribs? Then go INTERESTING I WILL WRITE IT IN MY INTELLECTUAL JOURNAL NOW

I'm interested in using my understanding of chemistry and physics to assess signaling molecules and how things are disrupted in pathology

I guess I really want to collect the stamp that says "cure for Alzheimer's", yeah what a boring hobby science bio is

>t. brainlet

Biology is actually an incredibly complex science. People here just shitpost.

Because 95% of Biology majors a d-bag premeds who couldn't give a fuck about science so when they hear Biology major they instantly snap to anger for pre-meds. Also Biology has one of the worst STEM job and pay outlooks.

Found the biologists.

I'll tell you why, because people like the above will start sperging on about how bio is the future see CRISPR, gene therapy, etc. and then refuse to acknowledge that most of the significant advances in biology have come from physics and chemistry.

I don't think anyone denies the importance of other disciplines in understanding fundamental questions in biology. Sure, a lot of people in the health sciences are strictly biology-oriented, but that's fine. Many problems don't require physics nor chemistry to be solved. It would be pure autism to think so.

Absolutely agree, but the point is that the field is flooded by people who don't care about biology or science in general, they're just trying to fast track to med school. And the attitude isn't helped either by the rest of the sciences acting superior to the real biologists.

Christ you're autistic

It's certainly more useful than majoring in physics, which doesn't get shit on nearly as much on this board.

This yeah.

But that's not real biology students, thats just fag pre-med students. Most pre-med students dont give a fuck about science. I'm a pre-med student majoring in Bio, and I can assure you, I appreciate chemistry and physics a lot.

This

Life long biologist here
>Biology
>College major
Biology is not a fucking degree you morons. You all deserve to be shit on.

>ids got numbas so ids smard

its the worst stem field. NO J O B S

How is it more useful than majoring in Physics?

I think posts like
Sum it up pretty well. Most of Veeky Forums just doesn't understand what modern biology is about. They grew up in a time (often not too long ago) where in highschool and even sometimes college, biology was equatable to physiology and/or ecosystem level biology. While even that is simplified, the truth at the current time is far different.

Currently, biology is one of the most diverse fields, ranging from the physiology and conservational biology that end up being more stamp-collection-like, to molecular, cellular, developmental, and evolutionary variants. Any competent biology program requires knowledge and use of statistics/programs that are good at statistical models like R and Python, and the tangential fields of Proteomics and Genomics that have been born from biology represent huge cornerstones in our understanding of life, as well as providing the future for industry. The premed fags who are only doing it to get to med school give it a bad rep- in reality, most of the competent biologists I know have good mastery of physics and chemistry and supplement their study with full understanding of how they operate.

As it currently stands, having a degree in biology leads to probably one of the most diverse opportunity bases for jobs of any degree. Data analysis, wet lab work, field work, education, industry, there are jobs opening up everywhere for people with biology experience.

We have biophysics you know

I always like the Gaia hypothesis, even if I don't believe it.

Good luck trying to understand a living organism using pure maths or physics. Even chemistry falls short when it comes to emergent properties.

Looking at doing a double major in bio with one being ecology, i got multiple options for doing a second but haven't given a lot of thought about what I want to do aside from doing field work/academia. My options are eco+evolution, eco+microbiology/immunology or eco+geology. I don't know what to pick in regards to future outlook of jobs, I feel that evolution is more memey and doesn't have any use outside of academia.

Biochemistry >>> Biology

Physics majors can end up on Wall Street or finances. (basically if you have a math heavy major like Math, Physics or Engineering you can end up doing finances and actuary). Biology really doesn't offer math heavy classes so they would be not really able to be good at finances. Biology is more of an art type STEM major.

Why indeed.

biology major more useful that physics top kek, well memed my friend

Because 90% of biology is Aristotelian science based on presumption instead of thorough examination and ruling out alternatives.

Keep in mind they just discovered calculus two decades ago. It take another 200 years for them to catch up to physics and chemistry.

"they" and "them"

It's funny because it's like you think because there exists a funny example of a biologist being dumb that therefore biologists are dumb

it's almost like you got a 145 on your verbal

That is like satire right?

No, apparently it is real: math.uconn.edu/~kconrad/math1132s14/handouts/taicomments.pdf
Wtf

Just engineers cucks talking stupid shit like always.
Tons of Bio subfields are fun ans useful and Biochemistry is god tier.

>a
>cited by 223 documents each with multiple authors

>Tai's Model
Is it common for people to name something they discovered after themselves in the same publication they presented it in? I thought it was more something your peers in the field give you credit for, probably just because they refer to your paper by your name all the time and it just becomes "(You)'s method".

Evolution, despite being interesting and definitely worth studyibg, is pretty memey as a degree. I would go microbio/immunology and along with ecology, use as a background to study eco/biophysics and systems ecology/biology if you are up for that.
Actually I just started to think about ecology and geology, that will definitely give you more field work and will be incredibly useful for ecology.
That is a hard choice, I guess it depends if you want to theoretical or experimental work.

A lot of memorization with little critical thinking skills

Also this...premeds are generally horrible people; I've had premed lab partners who have actually sabotaged the group, while they got their results from another group.

>thinks he proved something about the whole by demonstrating something about a subgroup

>implying subgroup analysis isn't used in biology.

jfc this is making me rethink of majoring biology.

Most of Veeky Forums is about 14 years old, just learning about basic biological facts in elementary school. It's the other way around.

*math major cucks

Bio is certainly a degree in bongland.

It is undergraduate here (slovenia).
But nobody stops at undergraduate, everyone goes for masters. On masters, there is no "biology", only molecular biology, ecology, physiology and teacher program.

Hello my European friends, I come in peace. What I meant was biology is a science and all degrees do is teach biology. The actual science itself has nothing intrinsic to do with education.

I am also biologist from Slovenia, 36 years old
and almost everyday I think I wish I could be born again and study math instead...

being a biology major is mostly just memorizing facts. It's not terribly conceptual in understanding, like math or physics.

in most american universities it is. I can be split up though- my university has Integrated Biology (ecosystems, environments, etc.) and Molecular/Celular Biology as majors

Biochemistry is a subfield of chemistry as much or more (depending on what you focus on) than of biology.

because if you major in anything that is not physics or maths then you're probably not so smart but its ok not everyone can be a genius

>Biology isn't useful in the economy
Guess you've never heard of modern medicine or pharmaceuticals.

>Biology is useless, said the autist as a doctor treated his ass cancer

Medicine =/= Biology. I mean it is a whole degree on its own and completely separate from biology. I am not saying they are not related though.

Numbas!!!

If you admit they are related, your point doesn't hold much value.

My dick is not my testicles, but they work together to nut in the bitch.

Theoretical mathematics and physics are completely useless because they cannot be applied to anything IRL. If you want to learn physics or math become an engineer or sometging. Learning anything theoretical is a waste of time because they have gotten us absolutely NOWHERE

>this is what biologist believe

even Houellebecq in Les Particules Élémentaires called out this biology science bullshit. It is nothing but lego compared to actual physics or chemistry when you are adding up genome.

Internet, computer hardware and software is direct result of theoretical physics and math

>Internet, computer hardware and software
No, these are a result of Computer Science. Dont be a dumbass now.

>thinking you can separate biology from chemistry

Uh yeah you can. Chemistry is like elements and the periodic table and shit, meanwhile biology is like... cells and stuff.

>using a poet as an appeal to authority

Seriously though you know nothing about biology. I bet you don't even know what a biologist does.

Medicine is biology. There isn't a way around it man, the study of medicine is a sub-field of biology geared towards human physiology. It's like saying a person that studies set theory isn't a mathematician but a set theorist.

>what is biochemistry
>what is chemical biology
>what is medicinal chemistry

OP, probably because it is just memorization 90% of the time. My senior year of undergrad I took a molecular biology class where you had to extrapolate data and propose experiments and more than half the class struggled. Personally, as a medicinal/organic chemist, biology is so strait forward that there is no point in studying past a point, you should try to hit a target and learn the bio as needed cause its fucking easy

There are over 1000 different named structures when it comes to just bones, muscles, and nerves alone, and that's just Human anatomy.

When we get down to the metabolic cycles and processes there could be tens of thousands of individual items to discover, classify, and name.

Its not just stamp collecting where you get 100 stamps and then you're done.

I wrote out a conceptualized model to explain all of the underlying functions of the universe.

Now, you don't need fake math to understand the universe.

Check it:

peelified.com/index.php?topic=23582.msg1469805#msg1469805

you talk like a corporate robot i hope you realize that, whatever school you went to did a number on your psyche

How so, user? I do think I type a little stiffly, but I don't think it's necessarily like a corporate robot. It's kind of just idiosyncratic autism, rather than a learned behavior.

DUDE STAMP COLLECTING IS HARD BECAUSE LIKE
THERE'S A LOT OF STAMPS