Ask an English major anything

ask an English major anything

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GvWMmkw8euc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

how can you know for sure that you are not gay?

Explain the instrinic beauty of the BRAPPFT post.

I regularly have sex with women and have no desire for any sort of sexual contact with men.

I don't know what that is.

now you do

It's decent insight into how anonymity and a complete lack of self-respect can turn someone into a a blubbering, pathetic retard who likes to shit where he sleeps. he's only making his cartoon forum worse, but shitting it up as much as possible is almost the point of coming here at this point.

you're not really laughing at the post, you're laughing at the pathetic existence of the person behind it.

You going to law school right?

k fag

Yes. Currently scoring 173-176 on my LSAT practice tests and will likely graduate with a 3.8+. I'm white and male so I likely won't get into Harvard or Yale but uChicago, UVA, NYU and all the other top-14s are still in the picture.

It's December bro shouldn't you have taken the LSAT already?

I'm in my 4th year of undergrad and I'm taking a year off before law school. I'll probably take it this June and apply for the Fall 2019 cycle.

I got my real-estate license last year and my mom works at a decent residential real-estate agency. I'm probably going to work with her for extra cash between senior year and 1L.

Why did you chose to major in English?

I started undergrad wanting to get a BBA but after an internship with a Judge my freshman summer I decided I wanted to go to law school. English and literature have always been my absolute favorite subjects and I always did very well in my liberal arts classes. I decided to make it my major so I could study something I liked, graduate with a higher GPA and thus get into a better law school.

It's seems like you have a passion for law. A lot of people on this board, myself included, would argue that studying law isn't worth the effort. It looks like it'd just be a lot of memorization. Why are you interested in such a seemingly boring discipline and what value do you hope to extract from your law degree?

Practice to a perfect score. You can get into anything if you act like you're an "ally".

Memorization is part of the game but it's certainly not everything. You can do some very creative with diction, word comprehension and sentence structure. The best attorneys are usually very well-read but also have a keen eye for specific diction and can be quite creative in using different definitions or in interpreting phrases/words/intent. Finding and incorporating textual evidence from caselaw and using it to poke holes in opposing arguments always gave me massive hard-ons during my internships.

Also my dad runs a boutique firm and I'm guaranteed an associate position there the second I pass the bar. It'll pay close to $120k a year.

UHHH YEAH COULD I GET A MEDIUM NUMBER 3 NO CHEESE PLEASE

Read the thread cretin

he did, why didn't you

Explain the fundamental differences between descriptivism and prescriptivism?

They’re different approaches to interpreting language. Descriptivism is using a word flexibly in different contexts to effect a meaning that isn’t in the dictionary definition. For example, the use of the word “meme” on Veeky Forums is an example of descriptivism.

Perscriptivism is a stricter approach and is for fags. If anyone describes themselves as “prescriptivist” it’s obvious they have little idea how language realistically works

How the fuck can you guys churn out 40 page papers about books? I want to die after 10.

Start as early as you can and outline the entire thing beforehand
Make sure to select the specific excerpts you want to use
Talk about historical/cultural context

They go by almost painlessly once you figure it out. Just don’t start writing before you know what you want to write about, you’re going to hit a brick wall and then feel burnt out before you’ve hit 3 pages

What is postmodernism and why is it a plague on our society

“Post-modernism” is pretty fucking broad. It’s essentially moral relativism and the idea that there’s no such thing as objective truth or objective interpretations. It’s also marked with having a certain cynicism/satire about everything.

It’s probably a more realistic interpretation of it all, but I agree that it’s not necessarily the healthiest or most productive way of seeing things. It’s more of a condition than it is a belief.

Is rick and morty postmodern

Vsauce covered this subject thoroughly.

thx tho

My boy, you get it! Wonderful, you have no idea how many English majors I've asked that question who cannot answer it, very worrying.

Yes, but in the most obnoxious way possible

youtube.com/watch?v=GvWMmkw8euc

I find many truths and parables in that show. It has a lot of bs, but it's enterinment, not an education.

> nihilist

Yeah, Rick cries all the fucking time. Morty is the dumb jew coward.

C'MON!

What are you talking about? Your post makes no sense

Are you worried lawyering might get automated by AI related technologies?

As far as I understand it, an AI's function in law begins and ends with finding relevant statutes/caselaw. What separates good attorneys from bad ones are the skills that you can't program

Rick and Morty brought up again on this board....I dont get it. I've never brought it up until Veeky Forums wouldn't stfu up about it.

Never mind. Carry on.

Here, have a map to the past and future, google for present.

From your perspective, who are the most annoying and least annoying non-liberal arts majors?

The business majors are insufferable. I'm in a fraternity that is infested with them and they're all very high and mighty about their finance degrees. They think all the liberal arts majors are bleeding-heart retards and that all the hard science majors are socially inept and weird.

Engineering majors are the nicest but are usually complete spergs.

Schizophrenia belongs on