Serious

Should compsci (undergrad) be integrated into (applied) math curriculum?

I feel like my uni puts way too much emphasis on programming, which is a skill in itself, but too little on math/theory. We don't even have distinct math classes while other unis do. Things like linalg, real analysis, calculus, etc., are only presented in condensed form and integrated into courses like graphics, 3d modelling, (advanced) algorithms, etc.

Do note that some unis, not necessarily technical ones, do provide these distinct math courses (maybe shared with math department?).

The issue I run into is that the curriculum is good for regular software engineers who want to go into industry. However, if I want to do proper research in compsci, I'm gonna have to go against mathfags who have way more rigour in math and therefore theoretical CS. I'm going against the hill here and being better in programming will not last forever.

What do you think of this awkward split between programming and theory? I'm thinking of making CS more math heavy, or even fusing it with math, and then making a seperate degree like software engineering where it's more about programming and some softer skills oriented around business theory.

Other urls found in this thread:

elte.hu/en/computer-science-bsc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>I feel like my uni puts way too much emphasis on programming, which is a skill in itself, but too little on math/theory.
Thank the retards who treat compsci as a trade and are just there to get a "good job".

Why can't you take math papers as electives?

Literally this. Just go to a university that actually teaches you how to be more than a coding monkey.

Also, what program is that from? Why are there only classes in spring and fall?

>personal grooming and hygiene
also, I've never seen a cs major that includes this many math courses. This seems like Veeky Forums's wet dream of majors put together.

>just go to a uni without gen eds
right after you find me a qt gf

It is not a real CS major. It is a CS major whose difficulty has been ramped up to the slightly less than the difficulty of a math major. It covers the core of modern math but key ingredients are missing because obviously you need to include courses like algorithms.

The magic of that list is that it makes you realize that if CS majors did not have 5 shitty courses dedicated to the same shit like "Intro to the intro to Java Programming", "Intro to OOP using Java", "Advanced OOP", "Advanced OOP but now for real which means we use C++ instead of Java", "Finally a real algorithms analysis course" then they would have plenty of room to still get a healthy and balanced diet of pure mathematics.

>Chem/Bio
Why? For what reason?

>he fell for the CS meme
Just do Math.

Actual computer scientists (not java codemonkeys) did/do Math in uni

>What do you think of this awkward split between programming and theory? I'm thinking of making CS more math heavy, or even fusing it with math, and then making a seperate degree like software engineering where it's more about programming and some softer skills oriented around business theory.
Those already exist. In most countries, there are the distinct subjects of computer science (which is the math heavy thing, often closely related to mathematics, and focuses on the theory behind computing and related topics), taught by universities; and software development, taught in trade schools. There may also be the subject of software engineering, which like all forms of engineering is basically the trade school, but at a university-equivalent intellectual level.

It seems that in America specifically, this sharp distinction does not exist, and instead there are only "computer science" courses taught at "colleges" which cover a wildly expansive range of intellectual levels and points on the academic-trade diverge. It sounds like what you really want is to fix that local gap in the educational system.

You do realize that CS curricula along the lines of do in fact exist, right? No, not that exact list, and yes there is usually a fair bit more real computer science in it, but programs that on the whole are comparable to this. Right down to the sole "SE basics" course near the end.

Aside from some stuff like Real Anal and Complex Anal we call this Systems Engineering(idk why desu) in my third world country

I mean, they don't have courses in real and complex anal.

You know what honestly Veeky Forums needs to stop hating on CS. It's a fine degree as it is if you're even remotely intelligent, went to a half decent state school at the very least, took as many of the hardest electives as you can, and tried hard

>I make more money than all of you
>I was a CS major at a shitty state school

>Intro to the intro to Java Programming", "Intro to OOP using Java", "Advanced OOP", "Advanced OOP but now for real which means we use C++ instead of Java", "Finally a real algorithms analysis course" then they would have plenty of room to still get a healthy and balanced diet of pure mathematics.

I wanna know what kind of shithole that's from

Did anyone really take 6 courses per semester? This program also assumes zero labs.

No, CS shouldn't be an undergrad program at all. It is just an umbrella term for a lot of research fields and it is stupid to have the same undergrad for people going into ML/Computer Vision, Robotics/Control Systems, Theoretical Computer Science/Formal Methods/Programming Languages and Software Engineering. I don't see why somebody in FM needs to have any background in Physics I-III like this autist suggests. I loathed my Calc 3 course and do type theory now and have colleagues in Computer Vision who failed the Intro to Automata theory course twice. We all would have benefited from a more in-depth course in our core discipline instead of having stupid courses which has to consider everyone.

Some universities do it right:
A Software Engineering program for people who want to learn programming + management + economics
A Computational Engineering program for people who want robotics/computer vision and all that applied stuff
A Computer Science program in the maths department which is basically a maths undergrad with a focus on logic and discrete maths
The programs have a common first year and then you must choose

>needs to have any background in Physics I-III

The vast majority of CS majors have no problem solving skills whatsoever.

It's standard for engineers and they do more if they double major or minor.

>just go to a uni without gen eds
Every european uni.

>None of you children remember when CS degrees didn't exist and the only applicable degree to the field was Math.
>Nobody even mentions the BA in CS that can be had in some places today

Let's face it, most computer sciencing done today doesn't need more than a quick reference sheet to the various math library function. CS people don't need to know why it works, just that it does.
And then if they want to do things like optimization or simulation they can minor in the appropriate field.

>I loathed my Calc 3 course and do type theory now and have colleagues in Computer Vision who failed the Intro to Automata theory course twice

You both should be ashamed of yourselves.

That looks like more of a shitty CE than CS.
However there are CS programs which come close:

elte.hu/en/computer-science-bsc

Click on Structure to see the mandatory courses.

Good thing everyone lives their life for the amassing of material wealth like you.

Just double major, its not hard.