Stupid chemistry things

I'd like to make a nice reaction with no material. I mean I have no material that is typical of a chemistry lab. So I'm wondering (I know nothing about chemistry): are there simple reactions you can make with poor tools and elements that you can buy everywhere? I am always fashinated by chemistry reactions but I've never could to start to try someone

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j-PrAczOGb0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtube.com/watch?v=j-PrAczOGb0

Nice! I'll kidnap somebody with thatXD

Try the old vinegar and baking soda. If you want to try something that will put a bit more hair on your chest, bleach and ammonia.

I got a idea maybe you could mix NaCl(salt) and H2SO4(battery acid) and tell us the results.
2NaCl + H2SO4 = (give the results) .

You could use battery acid or concentrated sulfuric acid. Its really cool.

No problem m8.
Learning chemistry from bottom up is boring anyway isn't it? Reactions are so much fun, i would suggest using rust (Iron(III)Oxide) mixed in powder form with alluminium.
It creates beautifull snakes (in field we call these rusty snakes).
To preprar them you'll need
>1 part powdered rust
>2 parts powdered alluminium
>Strong ignition source (christmas sparkler should suffice)
>table on which to do your experiment.
Mix the powder together, put it in a bowl and stick the sparkler in it, ignite the sparkler and watch the fun!

Now what is happening?
You see iron(III)oxide actually gives up its oxygen and passes it to alluminium, this process also traps surrounding air inside alumminium(III)oxide-carbonate (AlO3•CO3) shell created by reaction of hot alluminium with humid air (carbon dioxide, oxygen and water). This results in beautifull snake-like structure simmiliar to pharaoh's serpent.
Oddly enough i couldn't find much about it online even though this reaction is pretty old and my anorganic chem prof was quite fond of it.
Well, hope you have fun! I would suggest doing this experiment on kitchen counter with baking paper beneath your bowl with mixture, since iron particles will be scattered around it.

I can't understand how there are so many idiots in the world. And it is more embarassing they've a fucking degree. Stupid men who think chemistry is unreachable by the most of people. Please guys we're talking about chemistry not math or physics... I think my 3 years old son can understand the basic chemistry theory without difficulties. He only doesn't want to waste time.

HERETIC! SOAK HIM IN HYDROCHLORIC ACID AND SUBMERGE HIM IN THE SACRED CAUSTIC BASINS!
THROW HIM THEN ONTO CHLORINETRIFLUORIDE PLANES SO HE MAY BURN TO THE BONE AND HIS ASHES MAY FUEL THE RAGING FLAME OF OUR CREATOR!!

OH GREAT BENZENE! WHY MUST WE LOOK AT THY! YOUR AROMATIC NATURE BEFODELS US! WE ARE YOUR LIMITING REAGENTS, YOUR LIFELONG LIGANDS!

SYNTHESISE US! SYNTHESISE US! SYNTHESISE US!

the >parts thing pisses me off so much
does it fucking refer to mass or volume?

XD I think chemists don't know the difference

My mistake, use 1 mol (159 g) of rust and 2 mol (54 g) of aluminium.
As long as you use ≈ 3:1 ratio you should be in the green.

¤¤PVNRT¤¤¤¤GHST¤¤¤¤14pHpOH¤¤

Oh great benzene you father of all.
With your biochemical body and soul.
We are just a worms in your great hall.
With you we stand or fall.
*-
Before your protein shell i shake.
Your guidance i shall take.
Your children i make.
*-
Your ether crown.
Your covalent cane.
Onto our world you came.
*-
You saw the ground so lifeless, cold.
You saw it with tears in bonds.
And those tears made the ocean, sea.
And your soul was full of glee.
*-
And as you stood there i attest.
You walked into the ocean to rest.
And as you walked deeper you dissolved.
And dissperced complex biochemical structures you hold.
*-
And so lady life, RNA had formed.
And your nonpolar substances that were not dissolved.
Fell down to the ocean floor.
Everone walk the dinosaur.

¤¤PVNRT¤¤¤¤GHST¤¤¤¤14pHpOH¤¤

baking soda + anything acidic
or acetone + calcium carbonate + fire

Balancing the equation is telling him that you know whats going to happen.

I know what will happend It will be a beautiful yellow gas. But do it in a closed room you don't wanna lose that gas.

Powdering any of those is hardly easy.

YOU NEED TO WORK TILL YOUR HANDS ARE BLEEDING IF YOU WANT TO DO CHEMISTRY BOY!!
IT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR MOLDING THE BODY AND SOUL OF OUR LORD AND CREATOR BENZENE!!

OP I'm a chemistry grad studen (organic materials). You can ask me any questions you have and I'll answer if I can. I'll monitor this thread periodically for the next while.

A pretty easy and fun one is to dissolve Copper (II) Sulfate, CuSO4, (can get from root killer) in water to make a beautiful deep blue colour that is an iconic copper (II) colour. Then add a piece of Zinc metal. You can get these pretty easy from C type batteries (it's the casing)

You will see the solution almost instantly start to go clear with a dark brown powder forming and falling to the bottom as the zinc disappears. Its basically turning the copper ions in solution into normal copper powder, while dissolving the zinc.

I’m currently getting my Chem degree and I can vouch for this, this was one of the first labs I ever did it was pretty cool at the time

This was actually the last one I did in a series of 6 reactions to see if we could retrieve as much copper as we used in in the first reaction. The first one involved pure copper metal and mixing it with nitric acid

The reaction went this way:
Cu+4HNO3->Cu(NO3)2+2H2O+2NO2

Copper metal dissolved in the acid and produces water, a salt called copper nitrate which is dissolved in the water and gives it a blue color, and releases nitrogen dioxide, a kind of orange colored gas. It’s pretty neat.

Different poster here, curious what your opinion is on something I wrote the other day, would a reaction like this work?

Ni+2HCl->H2+NiCl2

Ah yes, the classic "surprise thermite" trick. Great for birthday parties.

Not the same guy but it won't work very well with HCl because of passivation. You'd need high concentrated HNO3 to get NIckel in solution.

I was thinking of just using nickel granules. I wanted to produce nickel(II) chloride out of it. Would it not work then?

You could try using dilluted HCl, heating and strong stirring. Also powderise the granules as much as possible. These things should speed the process up.

I see, would the energy from the heat push for the reaction to happen?

Bleach and ammonia. Just pee in a bottle of bleach over and over. Sniff the vapors for good flavor. (Note: you'll die).

Are there any acids that can dissolve gold

1:3 ratio of Nitric acid and hydrochloric acid. It should turn orange.

Why are they both needed? How come gold won’t simpyl switch out with hydrogen to form AuCl2

Why do you want to do a "nice reaction" if you do't know anything about chemistry? Are you an egotistical maniac that just wants to say "you're so uncivilized" to your friends?. Happy to help because that's me.
SODIUM HYPOCHLORITE AND AMMONIA.
No, but actually Salt and Battery Acid sounds really cool.Wouldn't it be an arrow instead of =?
PD: since when is hydrogen chloride black? it's transparent.

You need to look at redox potentials. Gold is known as being incredibly hard to oxidize. That's why gold (and some other precious metals) are often found in nature as the elemental form; they are very stable as a neutral state.

The reduction of 2H+ -> 2H2 is less favourable than Au+ -> Au. That means HCl will not turn Au into Au+ as it's very unfavourable.

You need the the nitric acid to act as the oxidizing agent to force gold into solution.

and what is your degree

You. I like you, user. It's nice to see fellow non-hypocritical men of justice.

Anyone can understand the basics of any subject without difficulties, but I guess you're too much of a moron to realize that.

ill fuck you up if you say some dumb shit like that to me in person

arent these reactions youre describing all inorganic in nature? genuine curiosity, how much does that hold bearing on your research in the field of organic materials

Yeah that's all inorganic. Not really related, just inorganic reactions are a lot easier to do at home for the most part with random household things, as well as putting on more of the show.

My research is in organic conductors and organic semiconductors, so I very rarely due inorganic reactions, although oddly enough, as another user suggested doing battery acid and salt, I do that very frequently to generate HCl gas for water sensitive reactions. I know I do some others on rare occasions but I'm drawing a blank. I've done some work on organometallic compounds but that still not traditional inorganic.

Aside from normal organic reactions, I also do redox reactions to test the conductors stability, using cyclic voltammetry

Curious if any salts exist that are a deep purple color. I expected managenese salts to be here colors but most of them seem to be light pink

For this reaction you need aluminum foil, toilet bowl cleaner (The Works is fine but Poly Zag is the good stuff), and a 2 liter soda bottle.
It will produce cool salts via a reaction between aluminum and the chlorids component of the toilet bowl cleaner. However, excessive oxygen will ruin the reaction, so that's where the bottle comes in. Stuff a bunch of aluminum foil in the bottle, pour in the cleaner, and quickly screw the cap on. Within a few minutes the aluminum chloride crystals should be forming.

you can make nitric acid with air pumps water and a high voltage arc source

>What is [math]H_2S[/math].

Yep there are. One I can think of off the top of my head is chromium (III) chloride. Very pretty salt.

That makes hydrogen chloride not hydrogen sulfide. Still not great but a lot better.

elaborate

nitric acid is HNO3 so water and the nitrogen gas in the atmosphere has all the elements necessary
lightning is a source of nitrates so I would believe that can use high voltage electricity to make nitric acid under the right conditions

Take some borax, mix it with glue, add whatever food coloring you'd like, and you have homemade silly putty.

And to add to this, you can use your nitric acid with sulfuric acid and glycerol to make nitroglycerin, which is always fun.

Any book recommendation on inorganic chem for an user who's been focusing mostly on organic stuff?

I guess that depends on what kind of inorganic chemistry. Is there a particular application you are interested in? Maybe materials, electro Chem, catalysis, analytical etc? Or just general inorganic principles (salts, periodic trends, metallic bonding etc)

there are some vegetables that have juice you can use as a pH indicator

dont do this OP

Seriously dont. Baking soda and vinegar produce Chloramine, a very toxic gas.

A general one is fine, but the more rigorous the better.

Bleach and ammonia creates funny fizzing and cools the container with your reactants. Pretty harmless
Whether baking soda and vinegar create toxic and corrosive gas.
Don't do it.

bump

Are there any that are that color as hydrates?

Can someone explain to me the purpose of aqua regia. For example for a reaction like W+HCl+HNO3 whats the purpose of 2 separate acids why doesn’t Tungsten just react with one or the other separately?

See my general answer here

So does HNO3 oxidize Tungsten/Gold so it’ll be more willing to switch with H+? I’m sorry I don’t 100% understand the concept

Essentially, yeah. Nitric acid is a very powerful oxidizing agent and allows for the ionization of gold so a bit will enter solution. HCl drives the reaction forward by giving Cl ions which stabilize the gold in solution as the AuCl4- complex

Nitric actually is reduced to NO2 and H2O, no hydrogen gas is formed.

Would that, for example, allow for copper to react with sulfuric acid to produce copper sulfate? I vaguely remember doing a reaction in intro where copper salts were produced and NO2 was released

Research the iodine clock reaction. Requires hydrogen peroxide, iodine tincture and ascorbic acid, all of which are available cheaply from your local pharmacy or even grocery store.

I don't like people insulting my field of study as much as the next person, but I'm calling your bullshit.

Anhydrous copper sulfate gives a nice color when hydrated.

Yep, totally could work. With ntiric alone it forms NO2 and -OH, so adding sulfuric would neutralize the base and form water, leaving SO42- to form salts with the copper.

POO IN ME MORE MOMMU AHAHAHAHAHAFA THERE'S YOUR REACYION BABU AAHAHAGA!!!!!

CHEMISTY??? MORE LIKE KEMISWEEEEEEEEEEEEHEEEEHEEEEEE YOU BABVA BOODOO FUCKSTICKer

And if you let the NO2 gas pass throught water, you'll get mix of nitric and nitrous acid.
This is actually part of Ostwald process.

Bump

I cut one 12v adaptor's jack and peeled the wires abit, then put them in a cup of salty water and turned it on. Bubbling was visible so electrolysis worked.
Why didn't I make any hydrochloric acid then? Nothing happened even after leaving it running for ages. I even stuck stuff inside to see if its acidic and I honestly think i could have drank that shit without anything happening, just stupid salt water.

Althought there may be some small concentration of hydrochloric and hydrochlorous acid as chlorine gas reacts with water, i don't think it would be significant.
Much of the electrolysed brine will escape in the form of chlorine gas + hydrogen gas.
You should be able to capture this gas in some container and set it on fire tho..

>escaping chlorine gas
I just realized I've been spewing that freely in the basement floor where I live.

Welp, if you had mold problem you don't anymore!
Or you have much bigger problems now..

Okay so what is your opinion on this reaction

W+6HCl+6HNO3->WCl6+6NO2+6H2O

If it works, would WCl6 dissolve in water? If it does is there a way to retrieve it? Or could I do the reaction in heated conditions where the water produced would be in a gaseous state

This is thermite.

What are you talking about you brainlet? Didn't you read my post? It is not a thermite and it is completely safe.
You should try it in your kitchen user..

Nope, sorry not gonna work. Tungsten Chlrodie is not very stable, and hydrolyzes to give off HCl (meaning in water HCl will not produce WCl6 to any significant quantity). In water, WCl6 will decompose into WO3 and HCl. Other metal Chlorides do this as well, such as TiCl4

Also I don't know if you're memeing but what said is right. This is thermite. Its in fact the most famous and common example of thermite. What the fuck do you think it is? Thermite by definition is a mix of powdered metal oxide and metal that undergo a vigorous redox reaction.

No, as i explained, it creates oxide-oxygen complex which resembles pharaoh's serpant.
Fucking brainlets, do you even chemistry?
Like really, i hope you're just memeing.

It doesn't matter what it makes or looks like. By definition it is a thermite reaction. That is the definition of what thermite is. Thermite is not one particular ratio of aluminum and iron oxide. It is a redox reaction of metal and metal oxide powders.

How come WCl6 isn’t very stable then? Is the same reason also why it hydrolyzes? Also just out of curiosity are there any more stable tungsten salts?

Yeah that's what I mean by not being very stable. It basically comes down to charge density. The W6+ cation has a very high charge density and is thus quite reactive. The metals tend to then ligate with water, and the charge density is stabilized through further oxidation either forming the corresponding hydroxide or oxide, and ejecting acidic protons. The higher the charge density generally means a more vigorous reaction.

This is a semi simplified explanation, because other factors can affect why metals may or may not hydrolyze like bond strength of ligands or electronic configuration. Like in this case, the chlorine bond is a relatively weak bond compared to something like an oxide.

And yes, there are stable salts (although for transition metals salt isn't always the best term). Tungsten oxides are stable and found in nature generally as the hydrate. You may have heard of Scheelite for example, which is CaWO4 . You can also find just plain tungsten oxides as well

So is that just a universal rule then, for any metal cation with that high of a charge, would they all act that way?

Now I take it that WCl6 is very volatile and reactive, but if a more stable salt/oxide formed with a high charge cation in a reaction that doesn’t produce water. Doesn’t necessarily have to be tungsten just in general with any kind of similar compound. Or do high charge cations cause high reactivity in itself

My friends and I used to do this all the time when we were kids

KNO3 (aka stump remover) + sugar = solid state rocket fuel