Sooo

sooo...

Am I supposed to start by reading this from front to back or can I just read it in some particular order first?

Read Genesis, Exodus and Joshua first to understand how much of a joke it is to treat the Bible as the word of God. Then skip to the good stuff like Ecclesiastes, Jonah, and the NT.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of some phony god's blessing, but because I am enlightened by my own intelligence.

or jsut like any book... read it from beginning to end all the way through.

This seems like a good place to ask this.
Phobic means you fear something yeah? How would one say they hate something in the same manner? Like instead of being arachnophobic you're arachno_____. And it means you hate spiders, instead of fearing them.

Phobia means repulsion basically.

"I believe in Bronze Age penis mutilation fairy tales."

Just skip to revelations, the guy who wrote it was high as fuck and there are whores and and giant grass hoppers and scorpions

Good luck on the begats.

You use the prefix "mis-" but it's not common at all, only common word I can think of is misanthrope.

Or irrational fear to the point of compulsion.

You're not even trying with your shitposts, reddit.

Go back to making family guy references on Veeky Forums

Coincidence?

Misogynist
Misandrist etc

I read it completely at random, which is how God intended it

I've only read Genesis and John.

Now what?

Something similar to this. Its a weird read to go through cover to cover, you'll be completely disoriented as far as religion/Christianity/and the effect on Western culture before really getting into the new testament, assuming you'd even make it that far before burning out. Its a couple thousand years of myth, law, lore, poetry, begat begat begat begat, prophecy, despair, and proto-existentialism before Jesus ever enters the scene.

I'd go
Genesis, Exodus, Psalms, Ecclesiastes, Isaiah, Gospels, Acts, The Letters, prophetic books, Old Testament Bible stories, Revelation, throw Job in there somewhere, Proverbs, etc.

Its important to set the stage for the Gospels with Isaiah, and prepare for Isaiah with Gen/Ex, and follow up the gospels with the Letters if you want to actually understand the Abrahamic narrative aspects

>the guy who wrote it was high as fuck and there are whores and and giant grass hoppers and scorpions
But that sounds like a good argument for reading it.

Start with Plato

Luke is good, Job is good.

What works from Plato should I read to get a better understanding of the Bible? Serious answers please.

Timaeus inspired a lot of medieval theologians, that's probably a good one.

Fedon, Timaeus, Republic.

see: but just fyi Fedon = Phaedo
if I were you I would read Euthyphro Apology Meno and Crito as well. Also Symposium. Maybe Parmenides
Plotinus and Porphyry would be helpful authors too potentially.

Thank you.

Yeah but you have to read the Latin neoplatonists to make sense of how they made sense of it. At least read Macrobius and Boethius too if that's what you're into.

Yes read it from front to back.
All the parts build upon and complement each other.

lolno. The Bible is a collection of various books from various centuries that are united only by being important to a particular religious group. It's full of redundancy and information that's irrelevant to modern readers.

>that part in Genesis when Abraham tells Abimelech that Sarai is his sister
>that part in Genesis when Isaac does literally the exact same thing with Rebekah
I feel bad for Abimelech, everybody thinks that he wants to cuck them or something

Maybe if it were complete, yes, but the Catholic Church culled and added a great deal of it over the centuries, and kept most of it in Latin until the mid 20th century.

It's very unlikely anyone will ever have a "true" Bible as it was in the early years of Christianity.

>It's very unlikely anyone will ever have a "true" Bible as it was in the early years of Christianity.
The biblical books are the most well-documented and thoroughly(and accurately) reproduced ancient texts in existence. There are currently over 40,000 original manuscripts from the early years of Christianity(predating Latin) many of which are still used in the Jewish church. You could retranslate and rewrite every book of the bible using entirely original documents.
granted it didn't exist as a singular "Bible" as we have today, but a religious canon of separate texts.
>t. I went to a Bible museum last year and it was actually really comprehensive and fascinating

I actually tried to read this just front to back. I don't think I got through Genesis, it's so fucking boring. I eventually read the Skeptic's Annotated Bible, which is basically just the Bible with commentary by a very snarky atheist.

I'm trying to read it front to back. Right now I'm mid way through Judges, about 300 pgs in of 1400. Lots of parts are redundant. For instance, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy cover pretty much the same stuff. I'm sure it would be fine to skip some books but I'm enjoying it and I'd like to know that I read the complete Bible.

>>>/reddit/

just read wherever

you're bound to find an interesting passage except for the bits in the early old testament where the jews write down a bunch of non ten commandment rules that don't matter, and of course their genealogies

>thinking Genesis is one of the boring
Stay pleb