Female character dabs her mouth with napkin

>female character dabs her mouth with napkin
>female character has cute ear
>all characters from children to professors casually reference Western philosophy and esoteric books

Am I missing anything else?

Cute ear? Does Murakami have a thing for ears?

Cute ears attatched to fat and crazy women.

you forgot all those missing cats

>cats
>everyone listens to jazz music / american rock music
>passive male protagonists
>divorced / unhappy couples
>suicide

I actually read all of 1Q84 despite thinking it was dogshit the whole time. Has he written anything even remotely worth reading?

Norwegian Wood is not worth reading. After finishing that I haven't bothered to read anything else he has published.

the guy always masturbates or is masturbated at least once throughout the book

I disagree, I thought Norwegian Wood was his best. IQ84 drags on and just isn't captivating

>Incredibly disproportionate karmic retribution for small "wrongs" that make Flannery O'Connor seem reasonable

>Main character has a weird/non given name
>Somebody plays the piano
>Main character likes cooking
>Main character has too much casual sex

His best book was Sputnik Sweetheart.

Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Hardboiled are both great.

That's his worst book though

No wonder those kind of opinions emerge : he's shit everywhere

These two and Kafka are my favorites. I enjoy all Murakami to some extent though, he's a very comfy author

My favorite of his is The Elephant Vanishes. His style is best contained in the short story.

this shit sucks cause you read stuff in high school and then when you're in college you spurn it completely and read more "mature" stuff and then when you're an adult you make fun of yourself and new college kids for trying to be so smart
i hate life can we go back a few decades so i can be more in shape and make out with somebody

All his books are his worst books.

I like Norwegian Wood, Kafka on the Shore and South of the Border, West of the Sun for what they are.

Someone lights up a cigarette then either forgets about it or puts it out after one puff.

I can't believe Kafka on the Shore made it on the mandatory high-school reading list over here (Croatia). Whoever memed that into reality needs to fuck off

Wow, if this actually happens in his novels, I'm glad I've never read any. I would have a fucking heart attack if I read about people doing this. FINISH SMOKING THE FUCKING CIGARETTE YOU GODDAMN WASTREL DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW MUCH THE THINGS COST

I know that feeling. It's called pure ideology.

Nicotine is pure ideology?

You know what, actually, that makes sense.

>smoking in the first place
I'd put you out if you know what I mean.

>never trying smokes
I'd laugh at you.