How can you use time in an equation of time doesn't exist?

How can you use time in an equation of time doesn't exist?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?t=334s&v=nCDVEyKUKd8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

*if* time doesn't exist

Most theories that assert that "time doesn't exist" actually mean that time is derivative rather than a fundamental quantity (see Barbour for example). So, the same way we use temperature in equations even though it is actually only a macroscopic result of molecular motion.

My mass can increase
My velocity can increase
Why can't my time increase

Time exists. This meme needs to die. If time didnt exist there could not be an order of events in the universe. Notice how you dont get wet when you walk outside even though it rained last week? Thats because time has passed. Time not existing is just round the bong brainlet stoner talk based on an Einstein quote they were too fucking stupid to understand.

No one disputes the ordering of time. The issue is duration and what it means or how to define it.

> time doesn't exist?
> OP ~2017
Dont they though?
Also time doesnt mean anything and it doesnt matter how you define it. Definitions are what we make of them. There is no right or wrong unit of length, unless you want to measure everything using the planck distances, literally no amount of length has any defined value besides the value we want to apply to it. Time is no different, but everyone likes to get all deep and pseudoscientific about the same problem that they ignore when it comes to anything else because time is more difficult to define your experience of.

Mass is relative. Velocity is relative. Time is relative. They all "increase and decrease" with respect to various inertial frames.

I believe this instructional video will help clarify things for you.

m.youtube.com/watch?t=334s&v=nCDVEyKUKd8

It is different. Defining a unit of time (clock) is way more difficult than defining a unit of distance (rod). Even a caveman can use a stick to measure distance but timekeeping is a tricky thing. Again read Barbour's articles on the subject.

>Notice how you dont get wet when you walk outside even though it rained last week? Thats because time has passed.
>time has passed
>has passed
And there's the reason why people argue time isn't real.
If time is another dimension like width, length, and depth, then it isn't "passing" at all.
You at the moment when you were outside at point T isn't wet because the rain is at point T-7 and not at point T.

Because time is a fourth dimension that explains why objects in space move.
You can consider it a parameter that increases at a constant rate as an object moves.
In other words, it's impossible to explain motion without time.

Ok. If what you say is true.
1. What is the difference between time passing and being at T7 against your will? If you are dirving in a car, using any two points in time as reference, distance will have passed.
2. How does time being another dimension make it any closer to non-existence?

Your argument doesnt even make time a little bit less existy. You are just explaining a possible mechanism behind it.

now let's all agree
to never be creative again

t = s / v

Time is just the acceleration of all Mass in Space

>events happen in a certain order
>that can't happen without time
Says who, who's to says hats just not how the universe works.

Time seems like it isn't really needed

>it's impossible to explain motion without time.
Its currently impossible for humans, that doesn't mean there is a fourth dimension which is time.

>let's use a variable in an equation if that variable doesn't exist in the first place

This isn't a good comparison. We are specifically talking about time and it's variables.

>What is the difference between time passing and being at T7 against your will?
I don't understand this question. I've tried reading it a couple times and it just isn't making any sense to me. Could you rephrase?
>If you are dirving in a car, using any two points in time as reference, distance will have passed.
That's not always true. Very often cars will be at the same location in more than one point in time e.g. while stopped in traffic.
>How does time being another dimension make it any closer to non-existence?
Like I mentioned in the last post, the idea there's a passage of time is what's usually the basis for claims time isn't real. If you conceptualize time as one of four dimensions that describe locations in space-time then the idea you're moving from one moment to the next no longer applies. Instead, there would be a line of "you"s stretched out from cradle to grave, all equally present as different locations on the space-time map.
It's like the Copernican Principle, where just as it's a bad assumption to believe Earth is the center of the universe, it's also a bad assumption to believe what you think is "now" / "the present" is THE absolute present. As an alternative to that way of thinking, you can suppose everyone at every point in time believes their present is the absolute present and none of them is any more or less correct than anyone else at any other point in time. The sense you're one being experiencing the passage of time would be an illusion, like how a flip book seems like a character moving around but it's really just a bunch of individual frames having content similarity associated with frame to frame proximity.
You could argue this doesn't "count" because there's still something we're calling "time," but that's what is meant most often when you see a claim about time not being real. And to be fair the "time" that is nothing but an axis in 4D space isn't very similar at all to the "time" where there's a passage from past to future.

This. Time is a result of increasing entropy

>Could you rephrase?
If you start at spacetime location “T1” and you move zero distance through 3d space but you are now at “T7” how does that make time any less real? You are in a different place in ____ than when you started. Fill in the blank with whatever you want, its going to be analogous to time.

>That's not always true. Very often cars will be at the same location in more than one point in time e.g. while stopped in traffic
Ok a moving car. Happy? Either way you could use a stopped cars change in distance as a metaphor for a particle traveling at light speed’s change in time.

>And to be fair the "time" that is nothing but an axis in 4D space isn't very similar at all to the "time" where there's a passage from past to future.
If that change in 4D space is unavoidable and impossible to traverse without extraordinary means then yeah they are pretty much the same. Only difference being one implies time travel is possible while the other doesnt expressly forbid it.

No matter what way you choose to look at time(a 4d vector or rate of passage of entropy) it exists enough to be used as a variable in an equation. Which makes the OP, his premise for this thread, and all the people who think like him completely retarded.

>If you start at spacetime location “T1” and you move zero distance through 3d space but you are now at “T7” how does that make time any less real? You are in a different place in ____ than when you started. Fill in the blank with whatever you want, its going to be analogous to time.
Except the time people believe in involves "passage" and space-time has no such "passage." Space-time just is.
>If that change in 4D space
That's exactly it though, there is no change. It's all one giant shape with every moment included in it. If you're imagining something moving in this shape you're defeating the purpose of conceptualizing 4 dimensional space-time because then you'll need some new second order time to explain how that movement additional to the movement explained by the 4 dimensional shape is happening.
>it exists enough to be used as a variable in an equation
Something exists, but it isn't "time" as most people think of it. The fact it has the same label of "time" isn't really an argument for anything. You can call anything you want "time," the question is whether the "time" people believe in is real.
Anyway, you can check out J. M. E. McTaggart's The Unreality of Time if you want a thorough write-up of these sorts of ideas (he doesn't come to the same conclusion I did here though, he basically just shows why "time" in each of the different senses it's interpreted as ends up not making any sense when you scrutinize it.

>Something exists, but it isn't "time"
You are splitting hairs. OP asked how can time be a variable if it doesnt exist. You just said something exists that we label as time. You just agreed with my original point i was making that started all this shenanigans. Im talking about the time used in time dialation formulas. It exists enough to be used as a variable and have real world applications for the formula that uses said variable. I dont give a fuck what actual mechanism is behind it until we know for sure, because at this point its all speculation.

Ok then. What separates a point in space at 12:00pm(arbitrary time measurement idgaf) and that exact same point at 1:00pm? They cannot interact with eachother in any way so they arent exactly the same, there is a difference. Explain that difference as something other than time using evidence based observations instead of saying “u cant know nuffin” and you will have convinced me. Until then, occams razor tells me time exists.

The passage of time not existing isn't splitting hairs, that's a massive difference.
>You just said something exists that we label as time.
Which again isn't an argument at all. You can label anything you want "time." By your logic here a magician really does saw a lady in half and then put her back together because he calls his act "sawing a lady in half and then putting her back together." That doesn't follow at all.

>What separates a point in space at 12:00pm(arbitrary time measurement idgaf) and that exact same point at 1:00pm?
Seperate what? The space at 12:00pm no longer exists at 1pm. No space needed.

Nigger, do you even into time dialation calculations?
You may not need space but you sure as fuck need time.

>You may not need space but you sure as fuck need time.
Time is just a descriptor used to better understand things other than itself. It however is not a real thing