FUCK BIOLOGY

FUCK BIOLOGY

i'm just going to change my major from biochem to chemeng. I don't understand how anyone can memorize any goddam metabolic process and phylum traits of some stupid goddam plant in the middle of fucking nowhere and still keep their sanity.

There just way too much shit to memorize for bio. its not even hard its just soo goddam time consuming and couldn't be anymore boring.

My diff eq class while harder, is honestly a 1000x better than god dam evolutionary biology.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lQrCsPrh11M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Brainlet detected

Why would you give up on the most fundamental science. Without biology not even maths would exist. It is the most important subject.

can't tell if you're baiting or not. math and physics and chemistry exist with or without life. pretty much those three can't exist without each other and without those three, nothing else can exist.

Memorylets should end themselves desu

No. If there was no perceiver to perceive the world, it would not exist. Simple as that.

just because no one is there to hear a tree fall, doesn't mean it doesn't make any fucking sound.

What the fuck did you expect to do in biology? Differential equations? Topology?

Good riddance.
The truth is that all bio class up to junior senior year are weedout classes lol chem eng you ll take organic Chem which I can assure you will require you to do some memorizing.
Dumbass don’t whant to put any effort think everything is easy because much IQ.

i'm in ochem 2. i honestly love it. I have an A in the class and i find that so long as i have tons of experience practicing it, i can get away with little to no memorization.

There is no proof of that.

i don't know. i just started taking biochem because i thought, "lol it would be cool to go do genetic research and work with crispr and shit."

[/thread]

which speaking of, genetics classes are probably 1000x more abstract bullshit memorization aren't they?

It's interesting, it's not hard to memorize things like that when you are smart and interested, what you just described is literally what I have done for recreation since I was a young child. If you have to do rote memorization you are doing it wrong.
Differential equations are common in the life sciences. I do topology

rote learning for this shit i find is effective if i can muster up the motivation, but its so goddam time consuming and boring.

teach me your ways masta.

I find memorizing metabolic pathways to be mind-numbingly boring, but molecular biology-type stuff is pretty cool. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Also, is there any particular reason you're taking Diff Eqs?

You have to get into it. Each process does some shit that the organism or cell needs, like that motor protein. It can be really interesting once you piece everything together. It is like a puzzle piece I guess, you wonder where it fits.

Congrats, you don't have the mind of a female. I either have low test or I'm autistic so all I enjoy is rote memorization. Pretty much guarantees I'll never get a job, but just to be sure, I majored in bio.

True. And there is likewise no proof of your assertion.

because my original thought process was bioinformatics / genetics.

but i think now i'll just go chem eng or some shit. hell if it made any fucking money or was a booming research field i'd consider going purely organic chemistry.

Not at all. Genetics classes mostly go over the mechanistic side of things, with very little memorization. Chances are, either goes to a shitty school/shitty program, or they're a brainlet who thinks they have to memorize things instead of just knowing the mechanistic underpinnings and working from there. Memorizing metabolic pathways is a pain in the ass, but most of the time the only memorization is which name goes to which molecule- the interactions are necessitated by the logical progression of the system.

Genetics is a cool field, and most of the learning in genetics is how to perform the kind of mutagenesis experiments, how to read and operate LC/MS/MS, sequencing DNA, the different kinds of genetic study that can be done, and then the biomolecular side of figuring out what will work in any given mutation or creation.

t. geneticist

i am op and So should i stick it out for these gay classes in order to keep going and find out if genetics is actually what i want to learn?

I think so, yeah. Physiology/biochemistry are often some of the most dry parts of biology, and they are more often than not aimed towards the pre-med audience, as opposed to people who are just trying to study the prospective field.

Try taking a genetics class next quarter/semester if you can, there are some that probably don't have high pre-requisites.

relax brotendo, the rest of us bioscientists (paleofag here) are just as horrified by the amount of rote memorization in biochem as you are.

I just hate how most bio majors go into med school, fuck that I wanna develop some cool chemical weapon or bio weapon, I fucking hate people wish more of them would die

My assertion is obvious. No reality has ever been experienced that wasn't experienced. As far as your argument goes, you might as well claim dragons exist. There's no proof they don't. Maybe they only exist in the forest when there is nothing there to experience them.

>soo goddam time consuming

same with any science field.

I think you're being edgy for no reason, but I agree entirely.

The amount of people in almost any class related to healthcare or any sort of living shit that want to go into med without wanting to put in any work and just want to fuck around is insane. Do they not realise that med school is insanely competitive? Or are they just delusional?

reading this thread I think

holly shit biologytards are fucking stupid

>I don't understand how anyone can memorize any goddam metabolic process and phylum traits of some stupid goddam plant in the middle of fucking nowhere and still keep their sanity.

Biology is not for brainlet

Oh my god, I love this image. If I can't find it online as a poster, I might just get it printed at a knko's.

Man, life really is a meaningless waste of time. This image makes me want to kys myself.

Curious, but how much of this detail is any course likely to expect of you? Assuming undergrad of course.

Theoretically, you should know everything. This picture is the minimum to understand what's going on in our cells.

But for example, the photosynthesis is really, really, really more complex.

And everything started by accident... sure...

I hang this poster in my room

Go to bed Wheeler.

Theoretically, sure, but that seems like a whole bunch more technical terms to remember than pretty much any course I've seen.

At what point would you say a class would expect you to know all of that?

Asking because I'm considering picking up some more science courses, but if the workload is insane I'm not going to bother risking my GPA.

Sounds like you were taking molecular biology courses, not biochem.

I took a bio class and the professor(who did his undergrad at UCSD) said he took a course and the professor put that image up and said “this class is going to be memorizing this entire thing” and so he had 10 weeks to memorize it.

there were laws of phys and chem that actively supported it
youtube.com/watch?v=lQrCsPrh11M
hydrogen bond < covalent bonding < ionic bonding

Just seems kinda unreasonable to expect that much just rote memorisation, unless there's some way to help that along.

Even anatomy courses I've taken didn't have that much shit to just remember, and that's pretty much most of what an anatomy course is.

I might just be looking at it wrong or something though.

Biology defies math, physic and chemistry.

Life sciences are a world apart.

You want it to be one way but it's the other way. Biology is a whole lot of "what" with little "why" or "how".

that's your mentor

Yeah, I might avoid it then, I hate classes that are just "remember this shit to pass the test".

At least anatomy stuff generally had pretty good links to other stuff.

Thanks user.

It's not "remember this shit" , it's : understand this shit. First, it's pretty easy to remember when you understand all the steps between molecule A and molecule B. Second, it's biology, not medicine.

>No reality has ever been experienced that wasn't experienced.
Math isn't """experienced""" you retard. You could probably debate that about literally any empirical science, but not math, because that's not how it works.

brainlets man, I swear.

>Math isn't """experienced"""

Of course it is. What do you think all the mathematicians do all day ?

Maybe you misunderstood me then, or I worded it badly, that's what I meant by stuff to help you along.

If there's a logic behind why it flows that way, and stuff to understand, then I'd be interested in it. If it's just "You need to know what this is", then I'm not, because that stuff is miserable to me at least.

And I realise it's bio not med, but the only other subject I've had that was mainly a bunch of remembering stuff was a human anatomy course, so I compared it to that.

>There just way too much shit to memorize for bio
>My diff eq class while harder

I think the principal issue here is that you're of the dumb persuasion

>i can get away with little to no memorization.
so you don't memorize any reagents?

>differential equations
>not useful af in population ecology

Biology isn't even a real science, its just memorising tonnes of individual pockets of information, whcih are largely unlinked and have no real rhyme or reason as to why they are that way.

t. physics grad with no job.