How do other STEM majors manage to study without wanting to claw their brains out and commit suicide?

How do other STEM majors manage to study without wanting to claw their brains out and commit suicide?

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/college-majors-producing-the-highest-unemployment-rates-2017-10
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Personal goals outside of "getting job" or "making money" as priority motivation.

For instance I became an engineer to optimize my own stuff at home with regards to my hobby (building/restoring/racing cars) I didnt even care about getting a job in the field. Satisfying my own curiosity was always the primary motivator for me along with constant access to solidworks.

Curiosity doesn't have to be yours, but there must be some other fulfilling motivator that you are constantly aware of getting closer to with every concept learned.

And Satie's complete works

I also would like to know this.

You can build the right attitude to think of studying as fun. Like treating it like a puzzle game. Only normalfags and brainlets believe that studying is annyoing.

Yeah I guess you just have to cultivate discipline over time. Curse my perpetual bad habits.

I didn't study, developed an anxiety disorder I'm still dealing with, and came very close to not graduating on time. So just fucking study.

Involve yourself in self experimentation and see what works for you. Everyone has some cues that makes it easier to study but we are never aware of them if we don't pay special attention to them. The next time you really feel like atudying pay attention in what kind of circumstances you are and you will be one step closer to be able to get yourself in the study mood willfully.

How many study STEM out of interest and not just because all the other majors have bad job prospects? I have almost no interest in what I study and to be honest graduating and getting a decent job (in the ideal case) is not even something I could look forward to. I just have no motivation. My mind is constantly somewhere else. It's like School 2: Electric Boogaloo only that in school I could just study one day before the test and pass while that's not possible in college (at least for me with my average IQ) and quite a bit of constant effort is required with weekly homework and lab exercises.

I mean.. the reality is your going to have trouble in the field if you have no interest in it. Fresh engineers at my work get worked like 70 hours a week. That sounds soul crushing for someone only doing it for a paycheck. You won't get interesting small firm / specialized jobs without projecting passion in your resume and interviews, both for engineering itself and whatever the subject is the firm works with.

But sure, you can graduate and get a job and a BMW..

I had a lot of interest in math and physics until I found out there are hundreds of thousands of kids in the world 1/3rd my age that know twice as much as I do
never went to college, got accepted to mensa, struggling with drug addiction since 17
why haven't I ended it yet

>BMW
Why would I want that shit if I get money? Lexus are actually reliable luxury cars compared to german shit that has a "check engine" light go off every humid day.

Don't people in Japan work such long hours without any passion for the work?

I find it depressing how it seems like you can only lead a fulfilling life if your interests happen to be in demand. I envy people with a passion in STEM. If you have a common passion like art you need to be the best of the best to make it and you will get paid badly and not have a good job stability.

Not being a retarded weeb helps a lot.

I find what I’m studying right now (thermo 2) to be really interesting for about the first hour or two. After that, my motivation is “I don’t want to have that feeling of not knowing what to do on the next test”. Also knowing what stuff is on a job is important

The joke is on you: STEM has equally bad job prospects while making you work 10x harder.

t. recent grad

I think the issue for me has more to do with the disconnect between what I'm learning in school and what I want to do after graduating. I don't even want to do pure design work or R&D, but engineering education is heavily focused on courses relating to those topics. I'd much rather to project management or operations than sit in front of desk doing calculations and CAD all day.

>Fresh engineers at my work get worked like 70 hours a week.
Tell me the shithole you work in so I can avoid it.

It can be shown that's statistically false. So why do autists like yourself keep pretending your situation will be the same for everyone else?

>mensa
Literally a giant circle jerk of unaccomplished people bragging about an arbitrary number, I never understood the appeal of wanting to join it.

>It can be shown that's statistically false.
Then show me those spicy hot statistics. Best case scenario you make about as much money as those high school dropouts putting up houses.

>best case scenario you make what (specific small sample of highschool graduates make)
Just admit you're a fuck up and stop blaming it on "the system".

You're going to be making $60k a year as a mechanical engineer. Look at the salary stats. Don't say I didn't try to warn you.

businessinsider.com/college-majors-producing-the-highest-unemployment-rates-2017-10

Obviously not all STEM fields have super high employment rates, but on average engineering fields and health sciences fields have very low unemployment.

>The findings suggest that even if students pursue STEM fields, which data show are lacking in new talent, recent grads aren't guaranteed a job.
Oh I am laffin

Are you actually complaining about making $60k? I never said you couldn't get to that point. You said that you couldn't be employed at all. Thanks for showing you're a dishonest fuck for moving the goalposts.

I enjoy the math, but I have to abuse caffeine to study the more boring subjects and I have to drink alcohol to force myself to write the reports and code

You can't support a family on $60k. This isn't the 1990's.

Let me put this in perspective: you can attend a one month long coding bootcamp and get a job making over $100k a year doing the stupidest web design shit. STEM is really underpaid because of oversupply.

A fair amount do. Ever heard of survivorship bias?

>STEM is really underpaid because of oversupply
Probably true. But that's a far cry from saying STEM has "equally bad prospects" When you can make $10k more starting than median household income.

>Let me put this in perspective: you can attend a one month long coding bootcamp and get a job making over $100k a year doing the stupidest web design shit.
I see you posting this drivel in every thread. Stop it.

and $60k is totally fine since both men and women work these days, and people shouldn't be having more than 2 kids

>non-white people shouldn't be having more than 2 kids
FTFY

lol completely and utterly annihilated by

Not really. He just got flustered and changed his argument midway through because he knew he was bullshitting.

Major west coast commercial construction firm. Structural engineers. ~2 bil revenue.

Then why aren't you in industrial engineering? civil engineering? logistics? or project management? or getting an MBA or something? Talk to someone in the department about it don't just trudge through with shit you don't like doing because ME specifically is literally all R&D outside of school until you're a manager. If you don't enjoy R&D and especially CAD I'm really wondering why you're doing it at all. You can make engineering salary numbers, probably with less "work", in a lot of different industries.

$60k is great for a young adult and above average for an actual adult. You sound incredibly sheltered.
You'll be lucky to make that after a decade in a trade and your body will be ruined. You won't be sitting at a desk clicking a mouse.

Amphetamines

Harvard dropout here

Went to trucking and bought my own truck and now i'm making 6 figures.

It's hard to dream about restoring cars or other hobbies when you can hardly make the end meet

Owner/operator isn't really a trade, you're a business owner.
But, I never said you couldn't make money in other industries.
My gf makes 75% my salary as a manager in the service industry.
I have brainlet friends that make more than me in sales and marketing.

Hence wondering why people bother with Engineering when they don't really have any interest in it.

>How do other STEM majors manage to study without wanting to claw their brains out and commit suicide?
just get into accounting if you don't like your stem major. you make the same amount of money anyway

Not really. The point is that non-STEM majors make about as much or more.

Why would you only have 1 dream you nigger

>try to study
>goes great for the first hour
>start falling asleep afterwards
I guess it's too much exercise for my brain.

Not really. Most non-STEM majors don't make as much or more. But feel free to keep plugging your ears and screaming like a 5 year old.

>without wanting to claw their brains out
but they don't. which is why most of them get completely bald before 40