What are some good Christian novels?

What are some good Christian novels?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican's_list_of_films
youtube.com/watch?v=g-voeq7Cebo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Letter To A Christian Nation by Sam Harris

Silence
Les Miserables (if you count a deist as Christian)
East of Eden

>le Tolkien was a Catholic Author meme

I forgot about that part where the hobbits roasted Hugenots

Anything by Dostoyevsky
Tolstoy's later stuff (although it's pretty heretical)
Gulag Archipelago

Weird I can only think of Russian orthodox authors off the top of my head at the moment

These are good
Of these, only Silence is written by a Christian

Most of Bernanos.

whats his best

i was going to suggest A Case of Conscience by James Blish, but i could never decide whether Evertchi was actually an agent of Satan or if he was just an asshole Lithian, and if the planet blew up because those idiots couldn't build a working fusion reactor with any safeties, or if it was the priest's exorcism.

J.F. Powers' Morte D'Urban

you can't fuck up with sous le soleil de satan, at least
also léon bloy

le desespere is bloys best?

I don't know, I don't read

The Divine Comedy is good, not really great and amazing, but its good.

This. He's more a mad old pagan than anything (and the better for it).

Anything by Taylor Caldwell

The End of the Affair by Graham Greene.

The Bible

120 of sodom
beyond good and evil
story of the eye

Mr. Blue by Myles Connolly

Also Diary Of A Country Priest -- at least I've found it's his most widely read book. All the others are pretty hard to track down desu.

Mr. Blue is a shit book, do not read.

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
The Desert Of Love by Francois Mauriac
All of Graham Greene's Catholic novels are pretty good also, the best being Brighton Rock and The Power And The Glory.

Are you stupid or American?

This is the current state of Veeky Forums.

Laurus
The Way of a Pilgrim

>Mr. Blue is a shit book

How would you know? You haven't read it.

The Solar Cycle by Gene Wolfe.

Why did you post twice? Are you trying to make it look like more people are agreeing with you?

Or maybe people agree with Tolkien more.
Take a look at the afterlife in LotR.

What? That person replied to the same two people, with the same response, twice, within two minutes.

> novels

this

my diary, desu

Newfags detected. Do yourself a service and at least pick a biography of his or two. He, and his work is thoroughly Catholic. Now, you many have caught a wild theory or two from the nethers of this forum, but no serious scholar ever even looked at it. In fact they're all universal in proclaiming him Catholic author.

lol are you actually mad about people shitposting about tolkien

Mad over a person exhibiting imbecilic behaviour? If you two examples that never lurked before took a hint from mockery directed at you, you'd see that attempt at 'shitposting' failed on every level. Now take a hint and do read a book or two, so you'll do better next time you try it.

lol, yes, I'm the only person outside of elderly syndicated Catholic columnists who has ... it's a cloying moralistic tract, not a novel with any of its own artistic merits. And its overt religiosity isn't even deployed in an engaging way: it could've been written by or about a Buddhist and it wouldn't have changed anything. Fuck this book.

Oh and also, to OP, don't forget your poetry.
Canterbury Tales
Gerusalemme Liberata
Orlando Furiosio
Le Chanson de Roland

Look especially to the last few for lots of good bits about slaughtering "paynims" (pagans) (Muslims) (Mohammedans) (Arabs).

No idea about the other two, but Chanson and Canterbury aren't Christian poetry. They are written by Christians, but that's it. Other themes prevail.

I can recommend Huysmans. En Route is brilliant. Not preachy and grounded.

At least half the books on this list portray Christianity in a positive light.

is there any Christian-kino? something that makes me believe in God, i'm an atheist but not a fedora edgylord, i just want a good reason to believe

Tristram Shandy is the most genuinely anti-modern, Christian novel there is. The sermon in book II is the heart of the whole thing.

"We trust we have good conscience..."

It's also extremely funny and sad at once. Check it out.

The Young Pope. Beautiful show that made me start going to church again.

>In 1995, on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of cinema, the Vatican compiled a list of 45 "great films". The 45 movies are divided into three categories: religion, values, and art.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican's_list_of_films

The Brothers Karamazov

Damn the Vatican is Patrician as fuck

is it i have heard it is very modern. i would like it if it weren't

Jesus Christ Superstar is a fantastic film

youtube.com/watch?v=g-voeq7Cebo

Nah it's counter-enlightenment. The book is basically an attack on the notion that we can "reason our way" through life, and on Locke in particular. It's definitely avant garde but not at all inaccessible. The "philosophy" of the work, "Shandyism", is basically one of Christian tolerance and charity towards others.

>my uncle Toby had scarce a heart to retaliate upon a fly.

>—Go—says he, one day at dinner, to an over-grown one which had buzzed about his nose, and tormented him cruelly all dinner-time,—and which after infinite attempts, he had caught at last, as it flew by him;—I'll not hurt thee, says my uncle Toby, rising from his chair, and going across the room, with the fly in his hand,—I'll not hurt a hair of thy head:—Go, says he, lifting up the sash, and opening his hand as he spoke, to let it escape;—go, poor devil, get thee gone, why should I hurt thee?—This world surely is wide enough to hold both thee and me.

But more important than all its philosophizing it is laugh-out-loud funny. It's not an easy book to describe because it is truly sui generis.

Kinolicious list

>Vatican
>Patrician as fuck

Well no shit...

>Brideshead Revisited

Worst ending ever. It's like he suddently remembered his faith, and had to write every character into it not to dissapoint the pope...

Not that guy, but I'll check it out
I'm intimidated by the size of the book, though

sigrid undset's writing

Hugo was actually Cathlic until his death bed I thought, in which he renounced his faith and saw to it his children would not be buried in a Catholic cemetery or something

This.

Christcucks btfo

How was Tolstoy heretical?

>not really great and amazing
>one of the most important works in the western canon by one of the top 4 most important authors of the western canon is "good, not really great or amazing"

Didn't believe in the Resurrection desu

Harris can't even BTFO David Hume, he doesn't touch the Gospels.

Really? I have to read that

wow really? thats pretty bad how in the world did he justify that? thats basically not believing in Christianity