>i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

pirateproxy.cc/torrent/9158259/Raymond_E._Feist_Riftwar_Saga_Complete_(30_Books)_-_sam2085
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I love fantasy and science fiction, but the OP provides no impetus for the thread. What are you trying to achieve, here? It feels like you're making this as a containment thread out of distaste rather than appreciation.

OP didn't list a theme, so lets have a thread about series featuring Death Worlds?

/sffg/ was once a very active community with hundreds of posters, now it is a rather slow thread that gets posted mostly out of habit. Because things stagnated and people got bored of talking about the same tiny selection of books over and over again. The threads are kept alive by shitposters and people with no lives, and the occasional newfag who wanders in asking for recommendations.

What would make discussion exciting and vital again?

New authors who don't suck.

Which haven't popped up in a while. Sanderson is honestly one of the better modern SFFG writers as sad as that is. There's been a massive literary brain drain in the last 30 years.

Can we do group reads, or is that not cool?

A super popular new fantasy author taking the genre by storm probably. Even though this thread pretends to hate mainstream authors that's basically all they talk about, plus a few niche favorites. Funnily enough, Rothfuss probably would have been the one to do it if he hadn't decided to play release-delay-chicken with GRRM and stall his third book for most of a decade.

When the third Stormlight Archive book drops later this year we'll probably see a spike in discussion and speculation from that.

Probably. I'll probably read it, even. I can't help but think Sanderson could put out some legitimately good work if he'd just be willing to step outside his Mormon sensibilities and create characters that he doesn't necessarily like though.

Any good books with a girl protag and a reverse harem?

Currently reading through this series, not the best books i've ever read but they're fun

The closest you're going to get to this is male homosexuality with no females.

>Third book is on Kindle
>First two aren't

I don't suppose anyone has the Simon Vance narrated rendition of 'War of the Worlds'? I've been on a huge war of the worlds kick, and while I have the book itself, there's just something powerful about it being narrated by someone with skill. Not to mention it's a whole lot easier when you're stuck riding in a shitty subway for hours a day.

Unfortunately, the only commonly available audibook rendition of it is done by some trannie bonger that butchers it, and a few other renditions done by americans in a fairly plain and mediocre voice for some reason like they're doing a software lecture.

Had to get mine from here: pirateproxy.cc/torrent/9158259/Raymond_E._Feist_Riftwar_Saga_Complete_(30_Books)_-_sam2085

If the fucker took some classes on dialogue and worked on dialling back the nothing personnel characters he could legitimately be comfy epic fantasy author of the decade. I'll read the next book and enjoy it, but the frustration will be there. He's so close.

I read those in late middle and early high school.The original Riftwar saga and the Daughter of the Empire series he co-wrote with Janny Wurts are the best of it. I have a soft spot for parts of the Serpent War Saga but it's barely worth reading honestly. You can skip the rest.

When summer starts we will see an increase, as all the collegefags will be on holiday. Same shit with Christmas, huge increase from collegefags and those too busy to work, read, and sffg.

Try death world by Bv Larson. But it's a book within a series, and you will kinda be lost if you don't start at book one.

>My name is Kvothe which is pronounced almost like "Quothe"
Sounds like a childish, camp voice lisping "gross".

>It wasn't the hundreds of redditposters flooding Veeky Forums every time somebody updated the infographics
>Or the jemisinposters who attacked every dinoposter until they abandoned the thread and now exclusively meet on discord
>No it was people got bored of discussing something we've discussed since time immemorial

Is the C.J. Cherryh user about? I feel like reading something about other worlds and societies, as well as having the high adventure of space opera. Cherryh seems like a well known and award winning writer of these sorts of stories, so I'd like to read something by her, preferably with likeable characters and immersion. Chanur, Hestia, and Down Below Station seem to fit the bill, but the author's bibliography is vast. What's good for a first timer?

What has more rape, Black jewels or Night angel? In terms of it occurring not just mentioned as backstory.

any books with helicopter parenting?

Has any one read Three Parts Dead? Wondering if it's any good.

These are great. Harrison is one of my favorites.

Got recommended Stand on Zanzibar recently, anyone know if it's still relevant and worth a read through?

>Or the jemisinposters who attacked every dinoposter until they abandoned the thread
I like how revisionists change shit to match their agenda. If you weren't here long enough. It was the dinoposters (the original one to be exact) who started this feud. Don't try to garner sympathy where none need go. We can discuss both old and new books here, there is enough room. But when you start the shit flinging then duck out, it just shows you are weak sauce and don't deserve to simmer around such complex flavours.

>and now exclusively meet on discord
Good. Just shows they are redshitfags at heart and wanted a name and email tracking social media site. The real anonymous stay here to discuss our books.

I'm not sure which series to start next, The Wheel of Time or Thomas Covenant.

It sounds like WoT is pretty comfy, which is what i'm after.

By the way, the /sffg/ meme was right. I walked into a bookstore the other day, grabbed a random WoT novel, flipped to a random page and literally the first sentence I read had the word "tugged" in it. It was quite remarkable, actually.

He also goes by the name catfag. Post a book with a catgirl on the cover to summon him.

While Night Angel has copious amounts of forced breachings, it's not THAT vital to the plot. The veer does live off suffering, but the book is not centered around it.

Now black jewels trilogy, rape is a vital plot point, both men, women and loli get raped. The book is centered around rape.

Thank you for choosing my shilling, and I hope your erection leads you onto more and more better works, which you in turn will share with us.

Welcome to the fold™ brother.

Even better, one of his (many) aliases is Kote. German for "I defecate."

Since you listen to our memes. Read neither.

One is a book that meanders all over. And is filled with repetition.
The other is filled with angsty cries of a disease and FUCKING REPETITION UP THE ASS HOW EVERYTHING IS NOT REAL. SEE WHAT I DID THERE WITH UP THE ASS? THEY DO THAT TOO. OF COURSE IT'S NOT REAL AD NAUSEAM.

Read something else. Don't add your cries to the hundreds that came before you and thought they knew more than the advice offered to them.

I really liked it. The world in particular is easily the best part of it, and the interpretation of gods as magical corporations is very interesting.

Your posts radiate insecurity and an infantile personality.

I actually dropped Black Jewels because I got sick of how often rape kept getting brought up. It's like the author wanted everyone to be sad and angsty, so she has them all get raped, because she couldn't think of anything worse.

I see Wheel of Time get brought up here a lot. I'm curious, what would you guys change about the books to make the series better? Besides removing the tugging and smoothing, that's a given.

you say that those two are not worth reading yet you offer no alternatives...

I wish we were capable of speculative, constructive analysis beyond "lazy navelgazers chatting about nothing and barely seem to care" -tier discourse.

I don't know what you likd.

>If you want long and adventurous
Try Black Company and Malazan.
>Want a standalone novel that mixes sci-fi with fantasy?
Try Iron Dragon's Daughter, and library and mount char.
>politics with magic appearing a total of one page in a 800+page series?
Try long price quartet and dagger and coin.

Enjoy if any gets your fancy.

Christ. This book is really awful.

My Life as an AH-64 Apache Longbow.

newfag here. Is there any books similar to berserk or dark souls?

Try The Eternal Champion trilogy or anything by Moorcock

is this like Zothique or Gene Wolfe ?

Covenant is better than WoT, and I'd defend it, but it's probably not for everyone.

Myanonamouse has it as well as a version read by some of the ST:TNG cast.

>tfw our civilisation resides in an outer arm of the milky way
>tfw civilisations residing in the dense, central galactic cluster will find aliens much more easily than we will
>tfw central galactic alliances and mega-civilisations will reign supreme on us outer-arm loners
>tfw humanity destined for neither greatness nor conquest

feels man, bad

WoT is quite comfy from time to time but it's also really long and sometimes literally nothing happens for at least a thousand pages. As long as you're ok with that, go with WoT.

>implying there's life anywhere else than earth
we're all alone senpai

by "nothing happens" do you mean mundane "slice of life" things occur? Because if so, that's extremely comfy.

I'd not remove the tugging and smoothing. I'd have the slowest mid-story plotlines go somewhat faster, for example it felt like Perrin hunted the Aiel for 10 books, another plotline preparing him for the final battle would probably have been better. Also Egwene inventing a counter to balefire out if nowhere in the middle of battle is kinda stupid. And of course I'd have Jordan write the whole thing.

Welcome to Earth. If their's a bright center to the galaxy, you're on the planet it's farthest from

Well I guess. Or rather they do plot relevant things but at the speed trees grow. It's quite impressive actually.

>kindle

Thanks user, much appreciated. I thought about checking out the cheeky star trek version as well.

>not realising life is incredibly common, and has likely existed on Mars and Venus already in our solar systems history, and likely currently on some gas giant moons

awful

As a fan of WoT, there was an entire book where basically nothing progressed at all. It was a pretty popular and valid criticism at the time, but thankfully the plot picked up in the next installment and if you can stand that sort of thing it won't be a problem for you reading WoT.

Thanks for the replies. I'm probably going to get the first book of both WoT and Thomas Covenant and read both, then decide from there.

Alternatively, I may read one and listen to the other at work.

I'm looking for a new book to read and came across The Book of the New Sun
Is it enjoyable or will I waste my time?

You need to read it at least 3 times to get everything.

I must admite, I absolutely loved the first portion of it but at a certain part each chapter seemed to turn into pointlessly "clever" little parables as the characters just wandered from place to place. I do plan on returning to it at some point as I'm hoping once I get past that part the wonderful world taht the book began with will return.

inb4 pleb

Lifecycle of Software Objects was a nice little novella. Very concept driven but still had that human element grounding it. Incidentally I agree with Chiang's views on artificial intelligence (as purported by one of the characters) so the jabs at the demon-summoning camp later on were appreciated. Thought it ended pretty abruptly but I guess that just speaks to his views on the subject.

Hestia is for tragic feral catgirl waifus. It's a weird little book that won't give you a good feel for Cherryh's other writing.
The Chanur Saga and Downbelow Station are both good entry points, I usually suggest them as such. Downbelow Station is her political epic with a large cast. The action focuses on a single station, with other events learned from survivors and passing ships. There are some space battles, but Cherryh writes mostly of their effects on the station.
The Chanur Saga is a tighter story with a very limited cast, most of it is written from the perspective of a single ship's captain with a few sections featuring crew members. The action ranges across many star systems. It feels kinda like a submarine thriller. Lots of tension and grimly anticipating the opponent's next move. Politics is also featured, but not as heavily due to the limited viewpoints.
If you want to dive into her meatiest political thrillers, start with Downbelow Station and proceed to Cyteen.
If you'd prefer more space opera and fewer, more fleshed out, characters, start with the Chanur Saga and follow with her Merchanter novels. Tripoint, Rimrunners, Merchanters Luck, etc. The order isn't that important (except that Hellburner is the direct sequel to Heavy Time).

I admire your dedication, Catfag.

sounds like chanur is more to my taste. there is an omnibus of the first three novels.

Thanks I, errr, was rereading her stuff every year for a while :3
Yeah, that omnibus is weird because the first book is self-contained, but the next three are a trilogy, and the final one is a sequel with new characters.

Also, you didn't mention Foreigner, but it fits your description as well. It is her most fully realized alien society, but with the theme that the differences between deceptively similar cultures are what get you killed (the aliens look like tall, dusky elves with night vision). I believe that later on in the series it catapults into space opera, but haven't read all the books currently out (every time I want to read a new entry I have to start over from the beginning, and she's at 18 books and counting).

This looks interesting, and vast in scale. I guess there is GRRM levels of world building and intrigue?

I'd try to merge the Elayne/Nynaeve go on adventures into just one of Tanchico/Ebou Dar, because they felt too similar, but it's hard to make the timelines match up. You'd also obviously cut most or all of Elayne in Caemlyn too because that fucking dragged on.

I guess for most it wouldn't be cutting to many events, just writing them faster so it didn't feel so dragged out.

I dunno, haven't read GRRM.
It's fairly heavy on the politics/factions, but perspective is entirely constrained to a single viewpoint IIRC. Worldbuilding is practically all cultural and political, there isn't much emphasis on unique locations, though sections involving the Atevi conservative faction focus on it.

It's not for everyone. I'm not quite sure if I enjoyed it or not.

Didn't see anything in the OP images, so what does /sffg/ think of The Name of the Wind?

Read it for the first time a few years ago and I find it's one of the only few books in the past 20 years that I could re read

Reeeeeeee

The book is shit, Rothfuss is shit, your taste is shit.

Reasons behind this? I'm genuinely interested in hearing your arguments

Seriously, imo it's a book deep and wide as autumn's ending, like a fine lady to be plucked only by the most masterful of lute-playing fingers.

It's a planned trilogy. The first book was pretty well received, but the second book (Wise Man's Fear) was absolutely atrocious. Publication of the third book has been delayed for years, with rumors of a manuscript being rejected by the publisher for being terrible.

You do get a second pov a few books in.

I had an idea for a story about the far-flung descendant of the oracle of delphi. The family's magic had long since dwindled to almost nothing and the girl grew up proud to live in a time of scientific and industrial revolution.

When her mother dies under inexplicable circumstances, the girl is forced to reconstruct her model of the laws of reality, as well as her mother's mysterious past

Y/N?

Hmmm, was it Jace?
It might be time for me to read through to the latest again.

Mary Sue protagonist, conlang alphabet soup, anime-like amounts of padding, disgustingly purple prose, awful worldbuilding.

Start with some of Wolfe's earlier stuff. It might not be more accessible but if you don't like his style you at least won't waste as much time. Try 'The Fifth Head of Cerberus.' If you don't like that book you're 100% certified pleb.

>rumors of a manuscript being rejected by the publisher for being terrible.
Does this ever happen to big name writers? Surely at this point Rothfuss could shit out anything and his fans would buy it.

Y to first para
N to rest

Anyone read the Drenai series?

Are all the entries worth reading up to a certain point?

It's overwritten to the Nth degree, so that you can only read it without cringing if you're a complete literary neophyte.

>GRRM levels of world building and intrigue
That's not saying much

Lame attempt at deconstruction
>If Kvothe was a hero like the stories he would have princess carried
>Instead he put her over his shoulders like a real person
Rothfuss is an awful writer

Every book is worth reading. Only real complaint is that Gemmell tended to use the same themes in a lot of his books, but they're still good anyways. The entire series is good so read that shit.

>I don't understand what a deconstruction is
Why do people make posts like this?

No dinosaurs as a form of measurement?

can someone tell me why the second part sucks?

That book is from 2010. Dinosaurs were extinct.

Where is the audiobook board?

Listen to The First Law trilogy, Steven Pacey absolutely kills it.

Covenant. Donaldson is a good writer. You have to get used to the idea that the protagonists are ill, mentally ill, or both. Donaldson treads where others will not.

>what would you guys change about the books to make the series better?

Edit out 85% of it.

>all this nostalgia

There isn't one, we listen to our books here >:^)