Theoretical computer science course

>theoretical computer science course
>20 people max, mostly math students
>course that just teaches you some meme language or framework
>150 enrolled + wait-list
Why is this? Why do CS majors hate theory? Note that anything past 2nd year data structures and algorithms is optional for CS students.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1Gwsh9ukuxA&list=PL2FUpm_Ld1Q2OWFAvit-84D13TJhM3g2n
peelified.com/index.php?topic=23582.msg1469805#msg1469805
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

CS has a long history of encouraging people who really shouldn't be studying it to do exactly that.

>Why do CS majors hate theory?
Way back when, when I was an undergrad and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, the perception was that theory was for people who intended to go into academia and practice was for the people who wanted to turn their BS into Big $.

Pumping lemma is lit, I'd prefer theory over programming sometimes, there's some annoying stupid data structures to implement out there

>theoretical computer science
youtube.com/watch?v=1Gwsh9ukuxA&list=PL2FUpm_Ld1Q2OWFAvit-84D13TJhM3g2n

>mfw CS major taking mandatory theory course this semester

Most computer theory is irrelevant in the job market. Most people do not study CS to go into academia.

is pretty spot on, though you need some degree of logical, mathematical ability to be successful.

Maybe you should have picked a school which aligned more with your interests, user

Nah, son. This school gave me the most money. I was actually going to go into journalism before I took a CS class in high school. Now I have 3 internship under my belt, and am interviewing with companies who would give me 70-80k starting.

>1 theoretical CS course, plus a shit ton of math and being set for life or going into a shit-tier SJW field and being a poor fag

My senior year was split between running the CS dept.'s Unix lab and taking graduate CS courses, mostly theory. A handle on the theory was what made me productive, and well compensated, in my first job after graduating.
>going into a shit-tier SJW field and being a poor fag
What really makes that suck is that, as a society, we need good journalists to make information otherwise too opaque available to the general population. That is, if you want a democracy that actually works.

Couldn't agree more with the second bit. Too bad that when this information gets exposed (i.e. WikiLeaks), it gets ignored by the general public because HuffPo, NYT, CNN and other garbage fake news sites flood it out.

Part of the reason I went into CS is because I saw that was where the future of media and journalism was going. Then last year happened and I almost went off the deep end. Really sad how most of our peers could care less about how what we do impacts humanity.

>"theoretical" "computer" "science"
Literally a meme so CSfags can feel they do "hard to understand" stuff.

Good thing the US isn't a true democracy :)

Hows that 300k starting salary?

How long ago were you an undergrad?

The people representing us in our Representative Democracy get there by manipulating the population, which means my point stands.
Early '90s.

CS people will fight the memes here day and night but deep down they know that the memes are right and that they are retarded so they pick the easier classes just to not fail them.

It is pretty natural if you ask me. CS students are actually not that smart. They have maybe one extra brain cell compared to liberal arts major. This means they can learn to code and maybe learn to compute integrals, but this also means that it is impossible for them to truly understand what their code does, or what an integral actually means.

So what should one look for in a "quality" CS program, if they exist?

>Note that anything past 2nd year data structures and algorithms is optional for CS students.
kek this is why americans cant compete with pajeets

Quality CS program is an oxymoron. The field itself is fundamentally flawed. Don't waste your time.

Just become either a mathematician, an engineer, or a codemonkey

At my uni, Data structures was the last weed-out core class for CS majors. After that, everyone started their own specializations; theory was one of the options.

Even still, in order to graduate, all students need to take either a class on algorithm design/analysis (goes more in depth than data structures), a formal verification class, or a computational theory fundamentals class. These are usually done in the final year

CompE if american. Don't fall for memes otherwise.

Why do people say to get a math degree instead of a CS degree when the former is literally just as unemployable as the latter?

You cant make videogame with math degree

cs is truth

some really neato shit in CS spawned as a direct result of video games so I halfway agree

The dudes right, but why shill for economics?

What if the universe is a videogame with a double buffer before the draw function?

peelified.com/index.php?topic=23582.msg1469805#msg1469805

computer science was supposed to be for studying computation
then computers were invented
a simple name change and things might have been very different

this made me so happy, saved

BEST

I’d like to ask something tho.
I really loved coding, enjoyed brainstorming and problem solving until my high school. So I went to college with the impression that I would like to study more of CS.
But theoretical CS turned out just plain boring. Like design and analysis of algorithms was fine but I couldn’t really appreciate the topics in theory of computation.
At the same time, I was enjoying the math classes, like abstract algebra and real analysis, so I switched over to a major in maths (and I am really loving it rn)

PS - I still like to code and I do it whenever I get some free time from academia.

Anyone else who had a somewhat similar experience?