Dude life is meaningless lmao

dude life is meaningless lmao

Lo quality b8

you should read it again

His goal was to defeat nihilism, retard.

just like enjoy life bro dont let society keep you down

b ur self

Whenever I see this image I always think it's a videogame cover for a second.
I don't know if there is a specific one I'm linking it to.

How so? I haven't read the book, but I'd like to.

morrowind?

He failed.

Because saying ''life is meaningless and without morality'' isn't nihilism if you finish with ''but we should pretend otherwise''. People just don't like the label.

retard

No. His life was meaningless because he didn't know how to find purpose. Camus was not an existentialist. He said so himself.

Lol read it again bro, Camus was totally against pretending there was meaning. He was only interested in finding a genuine way to extract meaning from the non-meaning. You may consider that to not count as geniune meaning, but he disagreed and certainly didn't believe he was pretending. Also, his point wasn't so much that there is no inherent meaning as that if there is, the universe is completely silent on the matter and leaves us with no means of discerning it.

Proving wrong rather than just resorting to ad hominem, faggot.

>does prove that he's not a retard and uses ad hominem

pshhh nigga

>tfw you found meaning
fees good

>find a feeling that you like
>call it meaning
>but life is meaningless
>unless you realize that we can't find any objective meaning
>then your life can meaningful

Camus was a hack. That's why he's so popular among high schoolers.

>he's pointing at your diary

Like I said, you can disagree with his conclusions, but the post I responded to just flat out got them wrong.

I'm not all too familiar with Camus, so please tell me if I'm wrong, but the fundamental difference as I understand it is the following.

Nihilism: Life is intrinsically meaningless

Absurdism: Our attempts to impose a rational order and meaning to our surroundings brings forth absurdity. Realizing this inherent conflict allows you to find meaning in life for the sake of life itself. This is not contingent on the the non-/existence of genuine/objective meaning, but rather the world as we perceive it in relation to these terms.

*shoots arab*
heh nothing personal kid

The most asburd (heh) thing about this book is the way people describe and sympathize with Meursault.

Often they'll say he's morally superior and reveals the hypocrisy of the justice system he's put in front of. That he is a victim to the blind moralism that rules the minds of all the sheeple. While not a view that's completely without merit, the point that's being missed is that Meursault's actions are the natural consequence of operating without a strong moral center, something which isn't precluded by Camus' philosophy.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Camus would never have been so cowardly as to advocate "pretend" meaning, and spoke out against it as often as he spoke about anything.

Meursault refuses to tell more than is true (which is the worst form of deceit).

He arrives at this point of self-truth precisely because self-truth requires a moral decentering (to be "morally centered" is to capitulate to arbitrariness, or untruth, for the sake of smoothness). This conscious choice to resist feigning emotions of any kind leads to his emancipation from the social contracts of society, which, as expected, expedite his death

Life is not meaningless here. Meursault simply grows tired of pretension, and finds, when he looks life squarely in the eye (an exhausting feat) that base reality is more comically simple and brutish than everyone around him makes it out to be

this is initially cynical, yes, but also freeing and *funny*, which is why he finds glee in the fraternal nature of his indifferent self and the indifferent stars in the night sky

Diablo 2

>Meursault refuses to tell more than is true (which is the worst form of deceit).

I was more referring to his actions that landed him in court in the first place, as well as abetting Raymond in his crimes. He's a deeply unsympathetic character.

>to be "morally centered" is to capitulate to arbitrariness, or untruth, for the sake of smoothness

Read Kant.

>lmao
I don't remember Meursault laughing about it, did he?

Why do posters on Veeky Forums seem so triggered by nihilism lately?

That's the point. You will always fail, but the attempt is still honorable and can still be enjoyable despite the inevitable failure. Just enjoy the ride mate.

My mom said I sounded like Mersault jesus I felt bad because that dude sucks

not OP but it reminds me of oblivion for some reason

That's especially disturbing coming from your mother. She's trying to tell you that she feels unloved. Give her a hug.

wtf i hate camus now
thanks for convincing me original postar

no problem my friend

>i guess i truly was The Stranger all along

Dropped it right there

Noticed this as well. Ever since the election.

Its like everyone's scared to look into the mirror and be honest with themselves. This is Veeky Forums, not a bible studies forum. I'm sure there are genuine non-nihilists here but a lot of it comes across as larping /pol/tards

I guess it's because I have so much meaning in my life that I really didn't care for this book too much. I don't see the appeal of it.

>Funny, the more Arabs you shoot, the Stranger it gets

Camus, I...

Albert Camus? MOrel ike a big runny pooh. Haha. ANyways

People are strange when you're The Stranger

Really Camus? plagiarizing the Doors and all? wow just wow

You could be apolitical and still want to learn about the bible.

Arabs look ugly, when you're alone

found meaning in my pitiful life too lazy to actually put it in motion, truly a genetic dead end