Christian books

Which list is better, this...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Pio5pf-Eoi8
youtube.com/watch?v=YxgsxaFWWHQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

or this?

read only what's termed 'orthodox', don't bother with any other heretics

You only need the one at the top. The rest will only get in the way.

>t. Protestant

>Lord of the Rings
>Catholic literature

Implying those lists aren't getting across entirely separate points

Lord of the Rings emphasizes a small scale, decentralized society; where technology, modernity, and empire building are inherently evil.

That's catholicism's subsidized wet dream.

>empire building are inherently evil
That's Catholicism's worst nightmare.

That and the fact that Tolkein explicitly said it was a catholic book.
youtube.com/watch?v=Pio5pf-Eoi8
youtube.com/watch?v=YxgsxaFWWHQ

Reminder that most Christians are not Christian.

I'm protestant too. I'm reading through Ezekiel right now

I didn't make the lists. I also don't think The Shack belongs in the OP list but it's not under my control

I just said that. The secular state should be small scale and decentralized. Only the church is the sole organization/political body that's unified worldwide.

You just said it was its wetdream you faggot

I'm saying Catholicism yearns for empire building.

That "bishop" is a hack.

That's what I juuuust said, Chad. The church may figuratively "empire build", in being the only worldwide organization. The secular state and other bodies may not.

And that's what I, twice now, just said was wrong.

>That's what I juuuust said, Chad. The church may figuratively "empire build", in being the only worldwide organization. The secular state and other bodies may not.
And that's why there's never been a Catholic Empire ever, and why the Spanish never went to the Americas. For fucks sake you Catholics need to stop your LARPing and read both The Bible and some history. You guys have this weird vision of the Catholic Church entirely removed from reality

He also said he hated allegory; yet set the novels on a prehistoric earth, with the shire being where modern England is located, and all the aggressive evil emerging from the south east for conquest.

Yeah it's almost as if that wasn't allegorical.

That's like countering charges that the orcs are stand-ins for the Ottomans, by saying the orcs emerged from what would eventually become turkey in tolkein's universe.

It's like countering charges of allegory by pointing out that he hated allegory, and also that you really really have to try and hammer that round peg into a square hole.

It's a round peg into a square hole if you're a chinless, fanboy, shill.

And also if you're a chiselled aryan patrician. I assume.

He also wouldn't have been Catholic if he hated allegory "in all its forms"

I felt the wind from that whiff.

user do you maybe want to reread the comment

If you ever decide to learn a little bit about Christianity aside from the surface level mainline protestant shit you'll find out why the LOTR is Catholic.

second one is better

Does anybody have some theology or philosophy recommendations for someone who can't quite seem to make the leap of faith towards believing in God? I go to church, read the Bible, generally love religion, but I can't get myself to really pray or believe. It's a difficult situation, being raised agnostically.

To add to this, I so far have been interpreting all the Christian religion as either a real-life, complex work of art, or a necessary organizational structure for western cultures and peoples.

Pascal's Pensees

I have a couple books you may like depending on your circumstance. Answering Atheism by Trent Horn if you're looking for a more accessible look at classical arguments for theism. If you have a little background in philosophy you might prefer Aquinas: A beginner's Guide and The Last Superstition by Edward Feser.

In any case I don't think any one book will convince you to believe in God. At least for me it was a very gradual process and I couldn't even tell you when I started to believe. I just had an interest in theology and because I'm always reading two or three books at a time I made sure at least one of them was related to theology. I think the best way to become a genuine Christian is to just pretend to be one, try it on for size and see how you like it. You may wake up one day to the realization that you actually are one.