Is the speed of gravity of any practical importance

Is the speed of gravity of any practical importance,
like, for satellite operations?

Other urls found in this thread:

peelified.com/index.php?topic=23582.msg1469805#msg1469805
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Van_Flandern
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

well if it were ftl, there'd be applications there. If it isn't, there's not really.

I just wondered because GPS only works when taking relativity into account,
figured other kinds of highly sensitive satellites might need to take the speed of gravity (= c) into account, to account for changes in the gravitational fields

Gravity is merely the result of collisions and vacuum applied to matter.

The speed limit for light is set by the absolute speed by which information can travel.

In high density localizations, there is a high amount of information being transferred, via collisions of particles.

I described these concepts in this thread:
And in this thread:
peelified.com/index.php?topic=23582.msg1469805#msg1469805

The latter is a futurama message board where I originally posted these concepts.

Jesus, please stop spamming your pop-sci theories and Futurama links all over the board.

>speed
>of gravity
your mother's a nice lady

>Speed of gravity
>Huh interesting
Literally kill yourself you brain dead cunt

Gravity travels at the speed of light.

>Is the speed of gravity of any practical importance,
Yes. It affects the speed at which they can acquire data about gravitational waves at LIGO
>like, for satellite operations?
No. Satellites communicate using electromagnetic waves/photons. Perturbations in gravity are impossible to detect without massive, expensive, specialized equipment, and even more impossible for humans to create or modulate.

I thought everything with mass attracts everything else with mass simultaneously
>there's no "speed" of gravity but there is an acceleration

No, it does not attract everything else with mass simultaneously. Also, massless particles are attracted by gravity

Gravitational waves travel at light speed
If you magically doubled the mass of the Moon, it would take about 1 second to affect the tides on Earth

It does. Every particle in the universe is touching other physical particles all of the time.

The speed of light is the fastest information can be passed through collision.

When light "moves" it carries information with it.

Information and mass are the same thing.

When light travels it carries the smallest unit of mass with it. It has mass because it interacts with other things with mass and it carries information (red, green, blue, etc.).

Mass and information are the same thing.

Gravity is caused by vacuum.

No. If, hypothetically, a new, massive object appeared out of nowhere in the universe, its gravity would propagate outward at c. Anything its gravity hadn't reached yet would not be affected by it.
The gravitational force itself is an acceleration, but that's not related to its rate of propagation.

t. The Crazy Guy

If light doesn't carry information, how do you see?

Light interacts in a physical way with your eye (or with plants for photosynthesis).

Non physical things do not interact with physical things in a physical way.

If you get it into a car crash, the collision occurs because you hit a physical object (or a physical object hit you).

Light has to be carrying something physical. Light carries mass, a tiny particle with mass.

We can't measure that yet though, because it is the smallest unit of mass. We don't have a small enough knife to interact with that particle. It's too small. It is the smallest unit of mass/information, and that's why it's the fastest form of physical travel.

None of that is crazy. It's simple.

Samefag. Light carries energy, not mass.
>hurr durr E=m though
Wrong. That's only valid for particles in their rest frames (which do not exist for light-speed particles). The relation valid in all reference frames is [math]p_\mu p^\mu = m^2[/math] or E^2-p^2=m^2

fuck off back to

How does energy interact with mass?

It doesn't. Matter interacts with matter. Physical collisions are a real thing that actually occurs. Energy magically telling matter to move without having a true action -> reaction relationship is made up bullshit that nobody can explain.

It can't be explained because it's illogical and it cannot be observed because it doesn't exist.

Energy is just an abstraction of a measurement of something else.

You're wrong.

There are no massless particles. That's illogical.

If it doesn't have dimension, then it can't be measured, because it can't be observed, because it's nonsense, and it doesn't exist.

Mass is information that defines particles. All particles have mass, some have less mass than others because they carry less information.

Because they are smaller.

Some particles are so small we cannot yet measure them because we don't have tools small enough to directly interact with them.

The smallest particle, which has mass and carries information, probably cannot be directly measured because we won't be able to build anything small enough to interact with it, not even itself.

This smallest particle is either carried by light (which is why light travels the fastest) or it's virtual particles which are the only things small enough for light to collide with. Light also seems to travel at a constant speed because it's small enough to not collide with all other particles and instead goes between them.

Notice how I can explain all of these things using simple concepts. I've never read this in any textbook, and I've read lots of textbooks.

It isn't in them because the authors don't understand the subject material enough to break it down into it's simplest components. Instead they resort to describing magic, and that's why their models are incomplete. Because they're modeling made up phenomena that doesn't exist.

Making calls of authority to textbooks that have trouble explaining topics in a simple manner is illogical. Stop being illogical and spend 10 minutes reading what I fucking typed.

If you read it, you'd either understand it and fucking agree, or you'd be able to say exactly what magic bullshit I made up and I would fail to explain it any further.

>what is electron-positron pair creation
How about you get back in your time machine, and go back to the 19th century, alright?

Can't you just take your meds or go be crazy somewhere else, or at least stop spammong long, insane posts? Everybody here except you knows that you're nuts.

The problem with GPS is that the satellites are closer to the edge of earth's gravity well than we are so their time flows slower. Or faster. One of these anyway

The speed of gravity is NOT of importance to the operation of the GPS system. Gravity waves travel at lightspeed so we have to wait a billion years to find out what's going on "now" a billion lightyears away. If this wasn't so we could have FTL radio by waving a mass around and picking up the waves on a LIGO detector.

Propagation velocity only matters when something changes. True for electromagnetism, gravity, and ordinary sound. The Earth's gravity field is steady. Relativity still works.

There _have_ been cranks en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Van_Flandern insisting gravity travels at several billion cee. His "proof" has been thoroughly discredited. Relativity _can_ be subtle.

Gravity is not real, seriously, it's an illusion caused by the curvature of space time.

Not a "force" as Newton would have put it, but not an "illusion" either. Stepping out of 10th floor window not recommended.