Are this and Slaughterhouse V worth reading?

Are this and Slaughterhouse V worth reading?

Yes

If you're 12, yes. If you're an adult, skip the starter pack bullshit. You can thank me later.

If you want to enjoy Pynchon and Wallace better work your way through this stuff first

I personally didn't either. I might be influenced by my peers (in Uni currently) who all love these two books. I'm a bit of a contrarian by nature.

I never finished catch 22. vonnegut and bradbury are much more interesting

Catch-22 is one of the funniest books I've read.
Slaughterhouse is a good, fast, and easy read.
You could argue that both aren't worth reading though. It depends what you consider "worth reading".

I read catch-22 when I was about 16 and I loved it. Haven't read it since though so I'm not sure how it would hold up at my age. Woul still reccomend reading it.

Slaughter House Five was an easy and fun read, I'd say go for it. You ould finish it in a night and it has a unique charm about the prose and use of themes. Not a challenging read though

Kys yourself

Thanks guys, I guess I will read them

Are you me?

Yea, good reads.
Wrong.

yeah, catch-22 is definitely a forerunner to later postmodern stuff. its good. slaughterhouse-five is a good intro to postmodern books as well.

I really liked catch-22 but found slaughterhouse five boring. But its not a long book, so check it out if it clicks.

slaughterhouse is good. catch-22 is comic masterpiece and essential reading.

>Catch 22
Definitely
>Slaughterhouse Five
Overrated but it's really short so why not

People always compare Catch-22 and Slaughterhouse 5, but only if they haven't actually read them. They sound kinda similar if you read the wikipedia pages, but the books are actually very different from one another and inherently trying to do different things. Catch-22 is one of my favorite books I've ever read, you should definitely read it. Slaughterhouse 5 is good but there's a lot of good books out there. Also Slaughterhouse 5 might trick you into spending more time than you need to with Vonnegut. But I also agree with Slaughterhouse 5 is short and written simply enough that there isn't a whole lot of reason NOT to do so. I mean you could probably do it in one sitting.

This

Yes but unless you're fairly new to reading odds are you won't be blown away by them the way r/books types are.

>enjoy Wallace

The only thing pseuds enjoy about him is the ego boost it gives them.

I couldn't stomach Bradbury after 5th grade.

I like his ideas but the execution is very poor.

I read something wicked this way comes in like 5th grade. It was cool enough at the time but it was my first and only bradbury.

I found catch 22 to be repetitive. All the jokes just became expected.

>file this paper
>but our filing cabinet is made out of paper
>well then file the filing cabinet
>but now we don't have a place to file this
>huruadfhsgjkahdflgkl

It's hard to read a lot of in one sitting because of that.

Is Kafka On The Shore worth a read?
My older brother left it behind for me. He said it was a great story.

They are pretty similar though, Catch-22 I think is more about camaraderie, Slaughterhouse 5 is a partially autobiographical tale with a very weird twist.

>Also Slaughterhouse 5 might trick you into spending more time than you need to with Vonnegut.

Yep! I dropped Vonnegut after Breakfast of Champions.

Vonnegut's an ok time-waster every once in a while between heavier reads. His novelty definitely wears thin quickly though. I would've probably gotten sick of him a long time ago if I ever read two or more books by him in a row.

Catch 22 is even worse than Slaughterhouse Five somehow