QTDDTOT

Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread (QTDDTOT)

Post your question here instead of making a thread just for that.

Other urls found in this thread:

u.nya.is/yjyvss.epub
u.nya.is/srxrgb.epub
youtube.com/watch?v=nCc8kSQqyXU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'll start Kagan's "Introduction to Ancient Greek History" and noticed it has an assignment for the first lecture (Introduction), that is to read 40 pages of Pomeroy's book.

Now, I know this is an awfully dumb question, but I'm expected to read the assignment before or after watching that first video?
I'm not used to have this "tasks" for my classes at college.

Why is qtddtot thread not a thing on Veeky Forums?

How did Pynchon manage to be so talented

I can't remember a word and it's bugging me. It means something like: achieving the same result but by using different methods. I think I heard Wes use it on the partially examined life before. Driving me crazy.

He didn't write any of the books. It was all Irwin Corey.

Anyone have an image for cyberpunk recommendations? Couldn't find any in the wiki.

Any recommendations for a short stories anthology? I'd like to read a variety of writers and styles

How do I get pseudo enough to get a gf and get off Veeky Forums?

Veeky Forums isn't a board where 90% of the catalog are generals so if people want to ask a question they can just make a thread about it, as moot intended.

50 Great Short Stories edited by Milton Crane.

Getting a girlfriend won't magically make you get off Veeky Forums. I've been married for four years and I've been on Veeky Forums daily for well over 7.

Do people legit like DFW?

How do I got about getting noticed as an author

Alright then, what are some books about schizophrenia and stalking people? I'm sure others would like to know.

How do I cope with the fact that even though I read fiction and non-fiction, I will never use the knowledge I acquire to make a better world, let alone better my self?

If you've been dead for two months why are still larping on lit pretending to be Pynchon? Dammit Irwin just rest already

Anybody got an ebook of either:
>The penguin book of Japanese verse
or
>One hundred poems by the Japanese
?
Can't seem to find them on bookz or libgen.

If nobody has an ebook,but someone has a physical copy of the penguin one, please tell me:
Does it have romanized versions of the original poems?

Capitalism and schizophrenia by Deleuze lol
Is stalking people really interesting? I don't think so. Read American Psycho instead

What I did this evening: find a stranger in your city who brags about his PUA success online, and message him asking to show your skills. Then accompany him to the bar and play the shy and hard to get weirdo, while he does his PUA thing and uses you as a prop. I got the #s of two girls this evening and will text them tomorrow apologizing on behalf of the PUA asshole. They probably won't text me back but it's better than nothing

What's the deal with a lot of "Young Adult" fiction? Why do authors of this sort of literature think so poorly of their readers?

And more importantly, why are they successful?

(Sorry for double-post.)

The same reason all garbage media is successful. It's easy to make and digest. the faster you can consume something the better.

Cheap,easy to read and most importantly,entertaining for the target demographic who refuses to let it go.
And they aren't hard on the author either.

If the author is even a bit self conscious,he will know his target audience.("Pretty father's girls")
And they don't require any more than this cheap romance and synthetic deepness.

This is the female side.
I consider fantasy to be the "male YA"

That is just escapism.
People want to feel exceptional,so they project themselves into the main character. (This happens on the female side too,but in traditional romance, I think it's more about the need for care)
They want to be catalisators,but being one in reality is too much effort.
I think the relationship of fantasy and video games is natural.

Improve. Start with learning about the question mark.

It isn't interesting. I want to know why other people do it. American Psycho was just OK.

What's a site like abebooks but for film?

You should ask /tv/, my friend.

Explain to them basically what is AbeBooks and then ask if there is a "kino" correspondent.

Yes. If you want to see for yourself how the man was turned into a member, as opposed to being a meme, watch some of his interviews on YouTube. And then maybe read something that is not infinite jest from him, like his essays or whatever.

No, he can't think, he can't write, he has no discernible talent.

I can speak russian just fine (russian speaking parents), but I'm having difficulties reading material more advanced than say newspapers. I never really took an interest in reading until recently. Any advice? I can read in russian , but it's quite slow.

How do you teach someone to appreciate literature on a deeper level than reading for the plot?

Doesn't exist, people don't buy films.

Read more. No really, just read more, that's how you get better at it.

Alrighty then. Should've guessed.

Here you go, friendolino.

u.nya.is/yjyvss.epub

Hey guys,

In "Julius Caesar," Portia is trying to get Brutus to reveal his secret plans to her and she says

>I have made strong proof of my constancy,
>Giving myself a voluntary wound
>Here, in the thigh. Can I bear that with patience
>And not my husband's secrets?

I don't get it. Did she cut herself at some point before the play to prove her mettle? Is this a Roman marriage rite? Is she cutting herself on stage during the scene?

These are lines 322-325 of Act 2, Scene 1.

Any ideas would be much appreciado, thanks!

Typically you do readings before class. But if for some reason you love the idea of doing them afterward, I don't see why you wouldn't do that instead.

Kagan roams around a lot though. I think having something more structured like the Pomeroy textbook might be better as a base for his lectures.

I hated Pomeroy, personally. Remember to get the full version, not the "Brief" one. If you want something denser, try Bury & Meiggs' History of Ancient Greece.

Can you help rec some good non fiction for my upcoming wokeweek?

Also please don't plague this thread with rolls. If you know it's a problem, cut it out. Otherwise Google RNG

roll

Let us roll

You're going to feel full of energy six days from now!

But, Varg would approve of CKII. . .

>11

Poo

Does anyone have an epub of "My Work Is Not Yet Done"? It wasn't on library genesis.

Here you go, friendolino.

u.nya.is/srxrgb.epub

God bless you user.
A thousand times,God bless you.

Maybe "Thoughts" by Blaise Pascal

Hi, can you recommend me some good literary critics?

Depends what you want criticism on.
Bloom, Samuel Johnson, Barthes, Matthew Arnold, Jarrell

good writers usually make good critics, your favorite author probably has some.

Thank you, man, that was great advice.
I'll sure look into Bury & Meiggs' book, especially since it can be downloaded freely at archive.com

Adding to the other user's list, Northrop Frye too.

Yeah she cut her self at some point (typical woman desu)

why do French, German etc. books have the name on the spine backwards? if you put them in a pile face up the spines are all upside down and that seems just really dumb to me.

Why are there so many reviews in Arabic on Goodreads?
I pretty much never see the language on the internet unless I'm deep in Youtube somewhere, but it's all over Goodreads.

Man I need the best prose writers in spanish

Needing to do some namedropping ain't you, user?
Want to impress that qt señorita don't you?

Lads,

What are the best book publishers? My book closet is beginning to get filled with Everyman's and Oxford World Classics

DFW is really good. I was reading 'The Soul Is Not A Smithy' today. Didn't finish it, but I will - it's pretty good. Why is he a meme again?

roberto bolano

What do you guys think of the novel One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Why does Jesus refer to himself in 3rd person in the NT?

The affordable ones that I remember right now are, in no particular order:
Dalkey Archives, Pushkin Press, Oxford World Classics, New York Review Books, Norton, Penguin.

its one of the books i've read in the last two years that i was thoroughly impressed with

Where can I download Taschen's book 100 Contemporary Artists A-Z?

Thank you

You probably can't, my friend. Since Taschen doesn't put out ebooks you'd depend on somebody scanning the book you want and sharing somewhere.
Because scanning (and then editing) is really time consuming, you won't find a lot of Taschen's books in digital form out there.

I just read "The captain's verses" and "The Peregrine".

Pls recommend me similar books.

>Pic not related

What are pants like this called? I had a gf you wore these and they drove me fucking nuts

Jeggings i think

>I consider fantasy to be the "male YA"
It sucks because Fantasy has a lot of potential

Damn, thanks for the info. I didn't know it.

It has potential when not made on a conveyor belt.

Thanks mister :)

Roll

What are some of your favorite poetry collections?

roll

So, I'm reading a heavy book and it's giving me neck pain. What's the best posture for reading?

Read the tunel by Sabato.

I didn't like Gravity's Rainbow. Why do people like it?

Weird name, don't you think? :^)

How do I become a Zen Buddhist?

in fact I want some authors that I can study

thanks bros

I found extremely useful the lectures of Jauss and Iser on the aesthetic reception.

Bump

bumperino

Read poetry until you figure out that the mastery over the language matters in prose as well.

"Son of man" is a literal translation of the Aramaic word (bar 'ěnoš) for human.

youtube.com/watch?v=nCc8kSQqyXU

Are there any good books or online resources for writing exercises?

My favorite is the Norton Anthology of Poetry.

There are HUGE editions, there's also shorter ones, and the best thing is if you're American apparently you can get the older editions dirt cheap.

Worth a roll

Reroll bc impractical at the minute

Can some user rec me something on the philosophy of experience?

If you're talking about empiricism, then Hume, Locke, Aristotle, Lewis etc. If you're talking about 'experience', as in the reason why people go backpacking, then a self-help book like The power of Now. The latter isn't my field of expertise though.

Rolling.

HOW DO I START READING MORE

WHEN DO I READ WHEN I AM IN ENGINEERING? I HAVE FREE TIME I JUST DONT MAKE GOOD USE

rolling

Get off of the computer and pick up a book.

YOU HAVE TO START WITH QUALITY BOOKS THAT ARE ALSO EASIER. THEN YOU GRADUALLY TACKLE THOSE A LITTLE MORE DIFFICULT.

TRY CHOOSING SOMETHING FROM THIS CHART TO BEGIN YOUR JOURNEY.