Where to start?

Where to start?

As I Lay Dying

Sartoris

Don't fall for the meme, OP. His books are trash. He hates his readers. He has one or two good ideas and then obscures them in a torrent of verbiage. His "fans" are smug assholes who like to think they're smarter than you because they took the time to feel around again and again in the same garbage pile until they could identify the individual pieces of trash & shit.

I don't even like Faulkner that much on account of his corncobbishness but this has to be the most aggressively plebby pseud hack criticism of anyone I've ever seen.

>There are times when he seems to be writing with a blunt chisel on his grandfather's grave-stone alone at midnight by candlelight; and times when he seems to be babbling into a microphone as if he were addressing a crowd of twenty thousand people.
sounds sick

It's not where that matters. Just start.

>I can tell right in the middle of a page when he's had his first one.

Absalom Absalom or the Unvanquished

I don't know why, but whenever a pseud gives their garbage opinion on Faulkner I get really angry. Anyone who can't see the genius and mastery in Faulkner's work is irredeemable.

Light in August

A light in August.
I read as I lay dying first, but light in August blew me away

He definitely had talent but on the other hand he was a fucking corncobber through and through (have you seen the paris review interview? What kind of inbred whitetrash redneck says they prefer bourbon to scotch?) which drags him down significantly.

I get that corn is funny and it's funny to say corn but I don't see what that has to do with Faulkner (or McCarthy for that matter) being a bad author

i always thought wit was just a similar and funny sounding name for cormac (corncob)

of course, i'm uncultured and live in the middle of nowhere.

Newfags

Look up what Nabokov said about Faulkner.

well yeah nabokov's a douche but why do you have to be

Nabakov is a fucking hack.

Don't

How did Faulkner go from writing Absalom, Absalom! to writing Pylon

wtf