Is this a good calculus textbook?

faculty.etsu.edu/knisleyj/calculus/final.pdf

Written by a guy who thought the way calculus needed a serious overhaul. After writing and using this textbook, Knisley reported a dramatic improvement in the grades of students taking calculus-related courses after adopting this book. It has computer algebra exercises and it's also free.

Is this a worthwhile textbook to use if you want something better than Stewart but doesn't focus on proofs?

Other urls found in this thread:

math.wisc.edu/~keisler/calc.html
faculty.swosu.edu/michael.dougherty/book/book.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Looks generic as fuck. The only improvement I've noticed is Fourier series at the end but it's missing all the usual multi-variable stuff.

Just read:
math.wisc.edu/~keisler/calc.html

If it's just a single variable textbook then it's not missing anything. I know the guy has an online multivariable "textbook" that's separate to this one, too, but it's not neatly outlined onto a pdf.

bump

bump

>Is this a good calculus textbook?
Why don't you read it and find out?

I think it's a good textbook. Better than Stewart at least. But I don't know if it's worthwhile to recommend to others.

bump

bump

I went through undergrad using Stewart. In my free time I read through Tom Apostol's calculus, and would really recommend it. My 70 year old calc 1 professor always talked shit about Stewart and said Apostol was great--he was speaking the truth.

Looking for something below Apostol for the moment. Not interested in proofing.

Then use Stewart...

Stewart is shit. There are better books for its role.

bump

bump

bump

Such as?

Thomas's Calculus, meaning mostly 2nd-4th edition, 5th-9th edition for more brainlet-friendly content and presentation. And perhaps the PDF as well.

Nobody cares about your stupid ass failing a course highschoolers can pass. Let your shitty thread die.

I aced it in high school too, user. Just wondering if this is a good textbook. Thanks for the bump!

you're taking calculus, and stewart has too much proofs for you? please fuck off. anything is good.

*taken

I'm just looking for a good calculus textbook to serve as a resource for tutoring. Have you tried tutoring calculus with Spivak to your average student? It's not going to be a good experience.

I liked using Thomas's Calculus for the purpose, but I wanted to see if it was a good idea to start using this PDF as a resource as well, especially since it's free and available online. That's it.

Besides, I never said that Stewart had too much proofing. If anything, it has too little proofing with too little motivation to inspire any sort of mathematical curiosity, but I digress.

Looks kinda boring.

Could use more colors/better font

I don't know how people expect to teach calculus when they're using a boring ass format.

check out whatever the ocw.mit.edu 18.01sc course uses

bump

what more do you want?

>Calculus
>Boring
Nice bait Oldfriend

bump

Thompson's calculus and Keisler's calculus are both avalable as free PDFs online. What more could you want for tutoring?

If you are implying you cannot read proofs, theorems and definitions. Then to be frank you're incapable of comprehending non-rigorous calculus.

t. pompous, pretentious math fag with a rod up his ass

To be honest it really is boring

What's with the infinitesimal shills?

Ikr
This is the only decent free calc textbook.
faculty.swosu.edu/michael.dougherty/book/book.pdf

braaaaaaap

Anyone know a text that specifically handles multivariable well? Parameterization, finding bounds of integration, etc, in particular? Div, grad, curl, etc, are all simple concepts. Stoke's and Green's theorems make sense. But then when it's time to evaluate them, I trip.

Larson