Med school is a meme

Med school is a meme.
I'm a med student, I would know about it.
AMA

When did you realize youre a faggot?

MDs should be shot. Iatrogenics is the primary cause of death in the western world.

>Iatrogenics
Go to a country without allopathic medicine and see how long you live, you science-denying luddite.

Are all stem fields memes because if you get a degree you're not guaranteed a job the second you get your degree. Fuck off you entitled little shit

How's the Caribbeans treating you?

>tfw finally decided yesterday I want to be a doctor
>tfw even if I get accepted I'll be 23 by the time I start studying
T-t-tell me it's not too late, guys?

It's not. Don't worry user.
Prepare yourself for the crippling depression and the shitty people you will find in your classes.
Good luck.

are med students as insufferable as premeds? i hate like 90% of these faggots.

Yes, they are

Depends on where in the world you are i think. In the US, maybe. Where i'm from? Hopefully not. I don't think any of us are any particular dicks compared to others.

Business students on the other hand.

How many of the other students think that Organic Chemistry is just the HARDEST thing ever?

>respecting dental students as equals
Has anybody ever actually done this?

>How many of the other students think that Organic Chemistry is just the HARDEST thing ever?

I'm not OP but from personal experience I never understood this meme. Most pre meds I've known, which is a hell of a lot, would complain about how hard physics and calculus are because they never got good with basic math. I rarely if ever heard them complain about organic chemistry.

>tfw pharmfag
>doing it for the money but the job market is total shit
cut my life into pieces and compound a shit ointment with it

>be premed
>do good in orgo at uni with notoriously rigorous organic chem department
>premeds that didnt wanna talk to me before or be my friend start sucking my dick and asking me for help
Premeds are cunts

>rarely if ever heard them complain about organic chemistry

yeah you’re full of shit kek, you almost had me though

It isn't too late, a lot of people here are far older than that

Nope

you got a SDN account? go on the MCAT discord?

took exam on may 19th this year got a 515

GPA is absolute dirt at 3.3 after graduating in May aswell. fuck its either med school or start paying loans.

I'm a med student and I'm insufferable. I'm not a faggot though, traps aren't gay.

Yeah you're looking at a DO school in the south buddy

Post MCAT / Medical discord pls?

It's not, I started with 18 and graduated a week ago. Wish I did something else before studying. Your age seems just right. But ask yourself: Do you really wan't to work as a physician for the rest of your life? If so, why? Why do you want to become a physician? Why would you want to help anyone?
If you can answer above shit for yourself, you're good to go. But if your answer is some bullshit like longing for prestige or a "right to exist", I promise it's gonna be an unpleasant experience, it fucking was for me.

Really hoping you die of tuberculosis my man

Extrapolate on what you mean by right to exist?

I suspect if I ever end up in med school the two biggest problems I will have are fuckwit classmates and god complex or just generally insane superiors . Am I right?

>seppos have to graduate uni as """""premed""""" before med school
kek, this is just like "college algebra"
mutts go hundreds of thousands in debt just to waste their years in glorified daycare

Just your run of the mill dysfunctional thought you get in depression when you seek to stop feeling / stop having consciousness (of mind) and hope to turn into a machine. When one couldn't bear being and started medicine unable to end your existence hoping that if it at least would turn you into a useful cog, there would be any worth in you being.
That's a shitty attitude is all I wanted to say, because conscious or unconscious nobody really wants to turn into a cog and if you think what you're doing is a way of becoming a cog, then you're constantly fighting with yourself and you neither can proceed nor stop only boosting your feelings of insufficiency. Shit is literal hell until you sort your problems out.
I may be alone with this specific kind of starting point but I've seen quite a few students that came from severely dysfunctional families, only studying medicine because it was expected from them or because they felt forced to. A part of physicians are a sick bunch of people with unhealthy convictions and a poisoning style of parenting. Take care of yourselves anons.

Docs and teachers are usually chill, but busy and with high standards.
Classmates are a mixed bag, just like anywhere else

The biggest problems will be your shitty attitude and the ridiculous amount of bullshit you need to deal with.
Seriously dont blame other people for problems you havent even had yet
First get there, and then you can start worrying and complaining

>not being a physician because it’s the right thing to do
>not wanting to be kind
Any other reason for wanting to do it is a meme
>muh money
>tfw bankers make more money and do less work to get there
>tfw working for UPS would net more money in the grand scheme of things after 10 years

You quoted the most meme reason ever to study medicine

A healthy mix of curiosity about the human being and competitivity are key imo.
Add elitism to taste, maybe some family or rolemodel issues and a point to make

Do you seriously think "le helping ppl :)" (i mean sincerely and not to be perceived as a good person) is drive enough to sacrifice such a brutal amount of your life for a shit pay?

The time will pass anyway, user. You'll reach 23 regardless of your choice of study.

23 is nothing, don't worry about it

Yeah I do it’s one of the 3 reasons why actually for me

Well congrats i guess

If you keep that motivation in 10y you are officially mother theresa-tier

She was not a good person
Pls user

Yeah no worries user. I started my med studies at age 25.

>help people by being 300k in debt
Is there a bigger cuck than a ducktor?
Even dentists and pharmacists admit they just do it for the money

The "I just want to help people" reminds me of ditsy broads who say "I just love children" and go into teaching
>tfw med students are about as smart as public school teachers

Nigger that debt goes away with in the first 5 years as long as you don’t become autism with your income
And why wouldn’t I want to help people? It makes the area I live a better place which will make it better for my kids in the future

"Helping people" sounds a lot more fulfilling than working a dead job with a boss up your ass or being a piece of shit who lives solely for entertainment. Besides you're not wrong about having other qualities but do you honestly think a passion for helping people is not as important as the other qualities you listed for a job where you are constantly on overtime and on-call just to help people

I don't understand this med crap, how much weight does the MCAT even carry?

Like, if you had a rocky 3.0 GPA but a 528 or whatever MCAT, could you get in for MD anywhere?

It’s equally weighted with GPA but the review process is a wholistic one so everything matters. I would say a higher MCAT would be better than a higher GPA though because with the MCAT you’re competing vs everyone that took it that year because it’s based on a percentile thing for your score. So like a perfect MCAT + 3.3-3.5 GPA >>>> 4.0 GPA + 508 MCAT

Now that you have been through the process and know that blacks/hispanics have much lower admissions standards, would you ever pick a black/hispanic physician over an asian one?

I’m not OP but I wouldn’t in my opinion unless it’s for some general check up type of thing then it wouldn’t matter. But if I were to need to get knee surgery or something of the sort then I would choose someone who is not a “URM” under represented minority as the admissions boards call them. They even openly acknowledge that being a URM is a plus for you if you’re an applicant.

>dead job with a boss up your ass or being a piece of shit who lives solely for entertainment
You literally just described the life of an internist and most general surgeons.
That would even get you into DO school anymore after residencies merged.
The lowest you can possible go is a 3.4 now and you better have a stellar fucking MCAT and extracurricular.
Do you not understand how debt works?
That 300k is accuring for at least 4 years of med school and 3 years of residency if you cuck yourself with PCP. That's 7 fucking years of ~7% interest that you're either deferring or paying the minimum on.
The only possible way to pay that shit off in less than 10 years is to live like absolute garbage, but guess what, after 7 years of being stressed out for at least 70 hours a week you can bet your ass you're gonna be buying luxury shit left and right.
I shadowed multiple physicians and a surgeon before deciding to just fucking count pills, and all of them were miserable in some way.
The surgeon the most. He was fantastic at his job, and easily made 500k a year. But guess who spent that money? Guess who lives in the nice house, drives a Porsche SUV, goes shopping everyday etc? His wife.
He spends 90% of his waking life in the hospital. And the 10% when he's not there he's either doing paperwork or retarded shit like continuing education when the guy would write a fucking text on GI surgery.

Go check lizzyMD.
Getting into medschool is so easy as a black dude it's fucking comical.
Even more as a black chick.

That surgeon fell for the marriage meme the major thing that sucks about medicine is that it’s significantly harder to find a good wife because everyone thinks that you’re loaded because you’re a doctor

Yeah I know about the calculator thing she made and it’s fucked

got a 526 MCAT but 3.2 GPA and didn't get into any schools.

what should i do man?

>take courses
>do well
>raise GPA
>reapply

Business students are some of the nicest I've met. They are actually shat on by everyone else.

I only get along with insufferable cunts because I am one

If they got there as everyone else, why not pick them? Fuck off.

>his whitecoat is sleeveless

Do a post bacc. I highly doubt that you didn’t get in with that MCAT. Even if your GPA isn’t the best, if your extracirriculars are decent hen you should be considered a competitive candidate at almost every school that isn’t HPY

Because the standards for them are significantly lower. A black student and sometimes even Hispanic students will take priority over Asian and white students given that they have the same qualifications
Go to Student Doctor Network and look at the LizzyM calculator. It uses admissions stats to give a general guideline for applicants and you will notice that at the scores where whites and Asians are accepted 70% of the time, blacks are accepted at a significantly higher rate. Almost a 100% rate at those scores and higher. It’s ridiculous

i got A's in all my premed classes ( i mean not ALL but i did very well) i just got a few D's in some upper division Physics classes (that was my major). this is a downward trend.

i really don't want to spend money to do a post-bacc just to take the same premed reqs again that i already did well in.

i am applying again in june and this time will apply more broadly. but i really wanted to stay in NYC.

While chad thundermedfailure was smoking weed and fucking bitches on thursday night, the enlightened nigga was in the library studying for the next exam. That's why they're always going to be better than you, whitey.

Just because they can get in more easily it doesn't mean that they can finish it more easily. All doctors end up meeting a minimum standard of skill, which is more than enough to help people.

Why do you want to be a doctor

Yeah those Ds are the problem friend. I’m pretty sure medical schools have a rule about any grades that are failing that they won’t accept those and I would assume that applies to your Ds. In your case if you don’t want to a post bacc I would apply to the lowest requirement schools in the US. You’d want to get into what ever what school you can.

That is true but just the fact that your skin color plays a role in your admissions in the first place is not just. And I would also make the assumption that it plays a role into getting into residencies if even the top medical schools use minority quotas.
It’s autistic because the reasons they give for it is because minorities are poor and financial status affects grades and such, but they already take financial situation into consideration. So what ends up happening is that the minorities that are not poor have a huge advantage in the application process than any other group.

I’m not white try again
Although some people have called me a Jew based on my skin color

>So what ends up happening is that the minorities that are not poor have a huge advantage in the application process than any other group.

And so do the legacy applicants and generally wealthy (both domestic and foreign) applicants too.

Sorry to hear you're just a failure then.

>implying

Well yeah that’s what happens when you have money. You have more resources to better succeed. But that doesn’t mean that making skin color a factor the right thing. Just by making a person’s financial status a point to look at during admissions is more than enough.

watch patch adams and stop feeling like a faggot you fag

I don't think you understand user, wealthy and legacy applicants (particularly legacy) have the ability to get "slots" before they are officially documented for the rest of the applicant body.

In other words if there was 100 slots and 10 legacy applicants there would actually be only 90 slots officially available. Because those 10 legacy applicants are brought up and considered beforehand. And this isn't even anything new it happens in the labor market also.

Now mind you those 10 applicants have to still meet the requirements to get in but that is a distinct advantage if you couple that with the ability to effectively shadow their parent(s) if they in medicine themselves before getting in. It's not just about the finances here user.

Virgin study is pretty good. Doing a PhD at a med school, some of those are dead on: "respects dental students as equals", "wears a name badge at all times while on campus", and "Finishes emails with 'MD candidate'". Know a few Chads, though it seems to vary by class. One year had some that always lifted together. They were actually legit, former college athletes benching, squatting and what not.

If I withdrew from a language course my Freshman year, will it screw me over when I apply to medical school?

I don’t see why? Unless you’re trying to go for a California school

You have a good point and I agree with that. It’s just that higher education systems and also some parts of the labor market are forcing diversity quotas on top of what you already mentioned already. So it further harms normal people who are going through the application process by further decreasing the amount of actual available seats. I’m ok with people getting in if it was based on their abilities alone. Some things in life you can’t control like if you’re born into a rich family or if you’re a legacy applicant and I agree that legacy applicants getting favoritism is bad but I don’t think it’s as bad as getting favoritism because of a person’s skin color.

I really hate depressed people who go into fields they hate then go to every forum in existence to shout from the mountaintops that unless you have an absolutely obsession for [well-paid field anyone with sense should major in], then you will be just as miserable as they are.

Because it's simply impossible the reality is you would be miserable anywhere else right? Stop projecting your neurosis onto others and dissuading people from picking a major that will lead them to success.

Medfag here. Started at 31. 23 is babby-tier.

Yes. Med students were once premeds, and don't bother shedding that annoying fucking skin.

>the reality is you would be miserable anywhere else right?
I probably *would have been*. Shit's thankfully over. But you're right, medicine is irrevocably associated with memories of misery for me and I tend to become contorted in my thoughts and words regarding this field of study. I shall take your objection into consideration.

I want to stress that I'm not trying to be dismissive of your feelings. But I think that a lot of people get persuaded not to go into demanding majors that will lead them to well paid careers.

Yes, getting an EE degree or going through med school sucks. But do you know what sucks more? Having some shitty liberal arts or business degree and having no job security and getting paid half what the dudes who suffered through their 20s earn. Do you see what I mean? I think it's dangerous to go around trying to convince people to "follow their passions" when dancers and artists and musicians earn a fraction of a fraction what engineers and doctors make.

/rant

It's all good man, I get you. No need to be considerate about some random anons snows of yesteryear. You were right, I shouldn't have projected my situation onto others for I'm no good model at all (started multiple second degrees myself instead of working in a clinic, therefore still being poor as fuck) praising passions while having a fail-save.

guess i'm doing caribbean.

fuck my life.

i have a lot of research experience. no publications though.

That high of a MCAT and As in the actual pre med courses along with research means you could easily get into other medical schools assuming nothing is wrong with your interview skills. Just apply to more places than New York. At least 10 schools overall.

Your feelings and experiences are valid user and I don't want you to think I think they're invalid. Idc if it sounds gay.

Have a genuine internet hug user.

my stats:

>2 semesters of English (Writing) - A and A
>General Chemistry I and I Lab - A and B+
>General Chemistry II and II Lab - B and A
>Calculus I and II - A and A-
>Organic Chemistry I and I Lab - B+ and B
>Biology I - A-
>Organic Chemistry II and II Lab - B+ and B
>Biology II - B
>General Physics I and II (including labs) - A and B+
>Biochemistry I and II - A and A-

however, in my senior year i got one D, and a few C-'s.

the D was in a computer programming course, and I'm having my professor write me a letter for medical school saying that i aced all the assignments but since the exams were paper-based i fucked up.

i also do a lot of programming for my research in cosmology. i do research in neuro-psych as well. will get very good LOR's from them.

GPA was a 3.6 until senior year and now it's 3.32.

i appreciate you giving me hope though. think i can get into a school near a big city?

what did you do before that?

You just had one bad year that's acceptable. I really bet it was just because you only applied to few places ie only New York. You still need some explination for that year but it doesn't need to be perfect. New York is just a hard state to get in and medical school is a pure numbers game as it is. You can be rejected for things completely out of your control like too many boys could be already accepted so they only let in more girls to keep the ratio and etc. You'll be fine next time you apply more places.

>think i can get into a school near a big city?

I mean sure there's good and bad schools near big cities. But I wouldn't limit yourself to just those schools.

I forgot to say, I also have 4 W's.

State schools are guaranteed interviews

baylor, JHU etc is a reach because you can explain the MCAT

The american system seems a tad silly, to be honest

When I sucked your dick.
no homo

Dude if you don’t get in this time around when applying to lower US schools, just go and do a post bacc. If you get all or mostly As like a 3.6 or 3.7 finishing the. You could easily go into top 30 or 40 medical schools. Caribbean schools are meme to trick people who didn’t do well in undergraduate don’t fall for it. Only a handful of people who go to Caribbean get into good or half decent residencies; you’d have to do really well there.

Then they make three to four times what europoor doctors make once they graduate residency.

forgot pic

Very impressive MCAT

ahhhh i love that you called us seppos. I remember when my australian coworkers taught me that. fun times.

>implying your quality as a med school applicant has any relation to your quality as a physician
>implying your grades in organic chem and physics 2 has an impact on how well they can treat your health
>implying your undergrad GPA and MCAT score are correlated with your empathy and work-ethic
>implying anyone actually gives a fuck about the opinions of a /pol/tard

test

>do worse for your entire academic career
>this has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on how you'll perform in med school
>med school has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on how you'll perform as a physician
do you honestly believe the bullshit you're spewing, or do you just willfully delude yourself into the "le everybody is absolutely equal, the only difference is hard work xD" to feel good

Perhaps for family medicine or psychiatry, but a good like anaesthetics absolutely does require a good foundation in ochem, physics, and (basic) mathematics.
An academically weak candidate may have the ability to be a safe doctor, but they likely won't be a good doctor, and certainly won't be a great one. You're delusional if you don't understand this.