James Joyce is not a good writer

Nobody calls James Joyce bad because they are worried a pretentious libcuck with glasses will call them stupid, even though Joyce wrote things like this

>"I thought we would start with a little full metal alchemist" she said, reaching into a cardboard box and setting a stack of manga on the table "and if there is a little time, we could watch some anime, I brought in some Dot Hack Slash Slash Sign, have you heard of it? It's based on a video game sort of like Fields of Fantasy"
>"Nice" I said impressed by her selections, and here I was worried she would whip out a Pokemon or Sailor Moon in a lame misguided attempt adult effort to be cool.

or

>He ripped down the flyer I had just put up and studied it with narrow eyes. "But, what the hell is a manga club?" he asked, pronouncing it "mahn-jah." "Does that mean 'vampire' in Swahili or something?"
>"Funny no. It doesn't. But I wouldn't expect your pea brain to jnow any Japanese, so don't feel too bad." I was impressing myself with my witty comebacks. Who knew I had it in me? "ooh, you're so smart, Freak Girl. I wish I could be a nerd like you and start a mahn-jah club at school"
>"It's manga." I corrected "Hard-G"

Now I admit that's decent prose, but it's not the best piece of writing ever. Plus there are weaker parts of Ulysses that honestly aren't even as good as some of the writing in Metal Gear Solid, yet that doesn't get praised because it's a video game. What writers do you think are overrated Veeky Forums?

You just cherrypicked poor examples. I could find a thousand good pieces of prose for every mediocre sentence he wrote.

I'm confused: this is too obvious to be bait, but too silly to be sincere.

wtf i remebered it being digimon instead of pokemon

anyone else? is this the mandela effect

Anyone got the infamous "cute girls doing cute things" leters to his wife?

Would Joyce be weeb if he lived today?

He was actually fluent in japanese, so it wouldn't be a stretch tbqh

We are reaching the era of post-bait.

[citation needed]

Trieste-Tokyo-Paris, 1914-1921

digimon is superior, but OP is write Joyce wasn't a good wrighter so it's pokemons in the original. they named the actual pokemons series and cards after it, like how they named quark cheese after it too. all very bad ideas compared to digimon tbph

That's what I'm thinking. Has our society become so saturated with irony that we're coming to a point where people are sincerely ironic? Are we becoming so sarcastic that when we try to be sincere, we can find in our souls only the barrel bottom of irony?

Yes, I think the answer is yes. This is why I'm working toward accruing enough skills and capital to live innawoods or buy a farm in the middle of nowhere.

Irony has become a way of acting sincere while still keeping the appearance that you are fitting in with everyone else. It might be the only way to live in a society that constantly imposes patterns upon you and izolates you if you deny them.

It has a lot of bullshit, but then it has stuff like this
>Onward to the dead sea they tramp to drink, unslaked and with horrible gulpings, the salt somnolent inexhaustible flood. And the equine portent grows again, magnified in the deserted heavens, nay to heaven's own magnitude, till it looms, vast, over the house of Virgo. And lo, wonder of metempsychosis, it is she, the everlasting bride, harbinger of the daystar, the bride, ever virgin. It is she, Martha, thou lost one, Millicent, the young, the dear, the radiant. How serene does she now arise, a queen among the Pleiades, in the penultimate antelucan hour, shod in sandals of bright gold, coifed with a veil of what do you call it gossamer. It floats, it flows about her starborn flesh and loose it streams, emerald, sapphire, mauve and heliotrope, sustained on currents of the cold interstellar wind, winding, coiling, simply swirling, writhing in the skies a mysterious writing till, after a myriad metamorphoses of symbol, it blazes, Alpha, a ruby and triangled sign upon the forehead of Taurus.
All of which is in a parodic tone to boot.

"Do you know what? The Russians, they'd only be an eight o' clock breakfast for the Japanese." - James Joyce

You could always become genuinely religious instead.

>aren't even as good as some of the writing in Metal Gear Solid, yet that doesn't get praised because it's a video game.

This would never be seen as bait on /v/ because a lot of them legitimately believe that.

go home mecha

WTF did Joyce actually right that?

madam psychosis said what?

>>"I thought we would start with a little full metal alchemist" she said, reaching into a cardboard box and setting a stack of manga on the table "and if there is a little time, we could watch some anime, I brought in some Dot Hack Slash Slash Sign, have you heard of it? It's based on a video game sort of like Fields of Fantasy"
>>"Nice" I said impressed by her selections, and here I was worried she would whip out a Pokemon or Sailor Moon in a lame misguided attempt adult effort to be cool.
wtf I love Joyce now