more like hanagay lmao

Altman, Tarkovsky, Tcherkassky, Frampton, Mekas, Bergman, Koreeda,

inb4 I get BTFO by tryhards

/tv/ is all capeshit and waifufagging.

ctrl + f hitchcock
nothing
*cracks knuckles*

and why is that our problem?

Not one mention of Eric Rohmer yet, yet he's the definitive "literary" director.

Godard is the only real literary filmmaker I can think of. He's the only one that uses great in amounts of on-screen text in his films, in both his fiction and non-fiction films. Many of his films are essays and most of them engage with the written word.

Many of the other filmmakers in this thread are artistic or dramatic, but I wouldn't call any of them literary other than Godard. Godard used to be an influential film critic before he took up filmmaking.

Pasolini and Cocteau are the only ones who also wrote good poetry and literature

Herzog is Veeky Forums as fuck. Favorite writer is Conrad, loves McCarthy, Baker, and the like.
Tarkovsky is pretty Veeky Forums too

Give me a basic gestalt.

>gestalt
I've seen you in another thread....

Not him but My Night at Maud's and Claire's Knee seem to be the first two to watch if you're getting into Rohmer.

>I've seen you in another thread....

That's not me because I didn't use that word anywhere recently.

The season tales are also great.
If you watch them in order you should realize that the first one (Spring Tale) has the biggest flaw in character development (just observe the girl) other than that the film is great and you should watch all movies.
The Autumn and Summer tales are my favorites

first post best post

Ridley Scott? Idk

Cocteau and Passolini both wrote novels.

Vincent Gallo is the DFW of Film.

haneke's my favorite director but i'm not that deep into literature yet. anyone knows of books on the vein of his style/interests?

coen brothers

Truffaut, Rivette and Rohmer were too you know

Yep. He utilises dialogue and the written word very well.

>Favorite writer is Conrad
shit taste

This, the amount of quoting and referencing different books in his works is gigantic

imamura and buñuel

passolini was a pseud and his adaptation of 120 days sucked

What is Veeky Forums's favorite film?

jelinek and handke

Welles, Godard, Bergman, Haneke, Tarkovsky, Truffaut and Passolini.

Orson Welles' The Trial is one of my favorite films made up to this point.

Adam Curtis

Tarkovsky. #1 filmmaker of all time and also the most literary. These long russian pomes in the middle of Zerkalo. Stalker is based on the novel Roadside picknik. Solaris as well.

Bergman. He mixed filmmaking with theater and therefore is obviously literary. Long monologues with great literary value. Direct quotes from Strindberg and Ibsen.

I don't see why Bresson and Godard are so literary. To me their act lies more in the cinematic/picturesque than in the cinematic.

Also Rohmer as user said. Straight up discussion of Plato, Pascal, etc.

I don't have a favourite film but top 5 would probably be:

Aguirre, The Wrath of God
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Tree of Life
Paris, Texas
Eraserhead

ctrl + f: pasolini

>named only once

kys Veeky Forums

Vertigo.

Kobayashi

fuck you Conrad is god and you are not intelligent enough of comprehending his greatness