Is there any audience in writing plays anymore?

Is there any audience in writing plays anymore?

she seems like the kind of person to be unexpectedly cool

>writing for an audience
You're doing it wrong.

What i mean is will there be an audience to read a play if.i did write one?

Is it possible to get published?

It's gotta be a musical to find an appreciable audience. Weez in hard times, people want that Busby Berkeley shit.

Otherwise no, the play is not the dominant social-artistic idiom and has not been (at least as written/performed in the English language) since the 17th century.

But there is an audience for it in 20th century for sure

Heaps of great plays were written

are you friends with any actors? If you live in a hip part of town you can easily get an audience.

In Spain there is. In the USA, audiences are kind of niche. There are definitely followers of play festival circuits. There's a big one that happens every year in Louisville. Because there are so many playwrights in the USA, you have to make it with the niche in-crowd of playwrights before you can really mount larger productions. People on the coasts in major cities still watch plays and go to theaters.

The goal isn't to get published. The goal is to mount a respectable production. In fact, getting your play published can actually make it more difficult to get it staged and result in you making less money off of it. For your first play, shoot for a play-writing contest, not for publication. Contest winners actually win prize money, get their play produced at the contest's festival, and gain more notoriety than somebody that gets some random publisher to publish a play that has never been performed anywhere.

How do you know this stuff?

creatives need to be business savvy
you gotta learn the field you're trying to get into

My girlfriend published a play and is in the process of getting a production together. She was only able to get a production together because of networking skills and connections from when she was a journalist. Nobody told her not to try to publish it first, because nobody knew she was trying to publish it, but different successful playwrights that she knew told her she should have opted for a play-writing contest first. It was only a non-issue because she had the connections to leverage a publishing deal into a respectable production. If you don't already have those connections, you need to start with contests. Anyway, all of this is happening in a different country. We're planning on translating her play this summer and adapting it for American audiences, but we're going to have a much harder time mounting a production as successful as the one in her home country. We're hoping that we can ride any possible success from her home country to the USA, but it's doubtful, so we'll likely submit the American version to contests if we can't find a production company interested in producing it immediately (not sure how rights work for translations or what her deal stipulates, but this is tentatively the plan). One of my professors suggested submitting it straight to contests, because it will be very difficult to get the attention of any production companies here in America, regardless of success in another, non English-speaking country.

the problem with plays is you have to involve actors, who have their own career ambitions that mostly do not involve realizing your vision for the play. this is especially true at lower levels of acting where you would probably be starting.

Yeah good luck getting a play produced with more than 4 actors if you aren't already famous.

Then wtf do you do starting out

Isnt america perfect? Broadway and off broadway? Isnt there heaps of production companies?

Write a play with only a couple of characters, shop it to contests, get it performed at the contest you win, develop a name, and then have other plays that you write produced in commercial venues. Eventually if you develop enough notoriety in commercial theater, you can get a production company that is big enough to support more than just a couple of characters.

There's also a lot of aspiring playwrights. It's very competitive. If you get a slice, it's likely to be smaller, which isn't necessarily all that bad, just different from how it works in some smaller countries.

What is her play about?

watch La La Land, it'll explain everything

What movie is that from?

How?

I've worked in theatres; we had a lot of student projects going on but I'm not exactly sure how you'd go about moving from that into the industry. Dare I say it, you're not likely to because everybody involved in the actual factual theatre industry is middle/middle-upper class. UK here.

Popular Movie: The Musical.

It's a formula that always works: Lord of the Rings, Shrek, Lion Kangz, etc.

Psycho: The Musical
The Thing: The Musical
The Fly: The Musical
King Lear: The Musical
The Hunger Games: The Musical
Jaws: The Musical
La La Land: The Musical
Ghostbusters: The Musical (this would actually be more successful than the recent Melissa McCarthy movie)

How do we stop this?