Have you taken the breadpill yet mateys?

Have you taken the breadpill yet mateys?
"Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is."
Jesus died for you, all you need to do is accept that gift! Get washed in the blood of the lamb

Bread is literally a pleb-tier food.

Whoever cometh to this bread shall never hunger; and he that believeth on Christ shall never thirst.

Sorry I don't download bread.

this is you

I've tried to get into it. Read some Lewis, read some Chesterton. Read some scripture.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

deb8 me faggot

Lewis is a hack. The only books worth reading on your list are the orthodox ones desu.

I don't know why, but this comment hurts me deeply.

how dare you

bread is awesome

I'm an atheist but I really enjoy fiction that explores religion, whats my fucking problem?

atheism

Because you're a child

>being too patrish for Christ

Repent, and hear the Word of the Lord. All are welcome before the Altar of Christ.

Reminder that Jesus was a failed prophet.

>You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. (Matt. 5:38-39)

>Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. (Matt. 5:43-48, Luke 6:27-28)

It makes no sense for Jesus to say the above unless he believes that the apocalypse is imminent...

>But immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory. And He will send forth His angels with a great trumpet and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other. Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door. Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.“ (Matthew 24: 25-34)

...which he does.

Except the world didn't end, and literally 2,000 years later people are still falling for the ramblings of a lunatic.

>he didn't include "The Case for Christ"

Dropped

heres your (you), friend

i pray that you read more on biblical interpretation

Holy fuck I hate Internet bible scholars.
Go back to The Amazing Atheist you unbelievable retard.

>the world didn't end
False

Back to riddit, child.

So edgy.

>>here are literal statements from scripture clearly showing that jesus' beliefs were false
>omg i hate you you dumb

Bread is the foundational food of civilization you colossal faggot.

Maybe reading the bible would be a good starting point, I mean at least to not embarass yourselves in public like this. Not even christian btw.

Actually grains are. Bread is a later invention. Bread was actually thought of as a variation of gruel for a long time afterward too.

simply epic

Beware of the yeast of the pharisees.

>literally quotes the bible
>"go read the bible faget"

good post

I mean reading it from cover to cover, with some notes helping your obviously childish understanding of it.

/x/ users are illiterate

I did read it cover to cover. Twice. Maybe you should try it too sometime. There's plenty more quotes I can drop about Jesus being a failed prophet.

>blake
>protestant
He's a borderline Gnostic who makes John fucking Milton the hero of one of his later poems.

>failed
Just because you didn't understand what you read doesn't mean He was 'failed'.

All protestants are heretics, so why does it matter anyway?

Really? So you understand what he meant better than the people he physically spoke to and his first and second generation of followers, all of who understood him to mean that the apocalypse was immanent?

The level of denial in christianity - 2,000 years worth of mental gymnastics about why the world hasn't ended yet - is simply mindboggling.

Well then kill yourself. I mean who the fuck can read the bible twice and still try to disprove it by a literal interpretation? Did you do the same with parable?

*imminent

were you raised religiously? maybe you just enjoy the religious themes cause of your upbringing

The apocalypse is imminent, you fucking dope.
>mental gymnastics
ANYBODY WHO ACTUALLY THINKS ABOUT A THING I DONT LIKE IS JUST DOING WEIRD SEXY POSES WITH THEIR HEADS
THOSE SEXY POSES MAKE ME FEEL UNSAFE THEY MAKE MY UNDIES TIGHT
MILKY MOMMY MAKE ME FEEL SAFE MAKE MY UNDIES NOT TIGHT

>it was a metaphor, bro
t. augustine

Because literally pages and pages and page of text exactly tracing the genealogy of people all the way back to Adam was meant to be taken metaphorically, the same pages that all the early christians said were meant to be taken literally.

>THE APOCALYPSE IS IMMINENT
>*2,000 years pass*
>THE APOCALYPSE IS IMMINENT

>"Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." - Jesus

The generation has not passed.

>the bible is one book
Oh look, a troll.

>it was a metaphor

There we go again.

>“Do not seek a wife. This is what I mean, brothers: the appointed time has grown very short. From now on, let those who have wives live as though they had none, and those who mourn as though they were not mourning, and those who rejoice as though they were not rejoicing, and those who buy as though they had no goods, and those who deal with the world as though they had no dealings with it. For the present form of this world is passing away.” (1 Corinthians 7:27,29-31)

I'll translate for you: don't even bother getting married because you're going to die any die now.

It isn't, but more than one gospel opens with a genealogy based on the OT.

I'm starting to think you haven't even read it and your 'faith' comes from /pol/ and artifact-riddled jpgs.

>*to die any day now (via the apocalypse)

???????
genuinely confuse by your hate of any symbolical interpretation. You do know that is it the reccomended way of reading?

>metaphor
No, you're just fucking stupid.

I've read the Bible more times than I can count (because it's long).
I'm not from /pol/, I'm from /a/. Are you going to spew more presumptions now?

>recommended

>Are you going to spew more presumptions now?

You started it.

Kropotkin is the real breadpill

No, it is clear you haven't actually read the Bible, whereas there is no reason to believe I am from /pol/.

Half of my posts on /a/ concern a single series which /pol/ either doesn't know or HATES.

Do you think he keeps a loaf in that beard?

All that's clear is that you refuse to credit me because I come to different conclusions that you do based on our different hermeneutics.

>different conclusions
You: didn't actually read it
Me: has actually read it

I think so.

This thread has been SEIZED by the proletariat. This is now a Peter Kropotkin thread. Read "the conquest of bread" if you havent yet already.

Me: put forth my position with scriptural evidence and reasoning that demonstrates a familiarity with both the NT and OT
You: nothing but shitpost and "no you're wrong"

And you wonder why I think you haven't read it, troll.

The history of human thought recalls the swinging of a pendulum which takes centuries to swing. After a long period of slumber comes a moment of awakening. Then thought frees herself from the chains with which those interested — rulers, lawyers, clerics — have carefully enwound her.
She shatters the chains. She subjects to severe criticism all that has been taught her, and lays bare the emptiness of the religious political, legal, and social prejudices amid which she has vegetated. She starts research in new paths, enriches our knowledge with new discoveries, creates new sciences.
But the inveterate enemies of thought — the government, the lawgiver, and the priest — soon recover from their defeat. By degrees they gather together their scattered forces, and remodel their faith and their code of laws to adapt them to the new needs.
- peter kropotkin

>scriptural evidence
No you haven't, you've posted trash out of context. Abloobloo my Godless soul can't comprehend a sacred text!

If you reason instead of repeating what is taught you; if you analyze the law and strip off those cloudy fictions with which it has been draped in order to conceal its real origin, which is the right of the stronger, and its substance, which has ever been the consecration of all the tyrannies handed down to mankind through its long and bloody history; when you have comprehended this, your contempt for the law will be profound indeed. You will understand that to remain the servant of the written law is to place yourself every day in opposition to the law of conscience, and to make a bargain on the wrong side; and, since this struggle cannot go on forever, you will either silence your conscience and become a scoundrel, or you will break with tradition, and you will work with us for the utter destruction of all this injustice, economic, social and political.

The means of production being the collective work of humanity, the product should be the collective property of the race. Individual appropriation is neither just nor serviceable. All belongs to all. All things are for all men, since all men have need of them, since all men have worked in the measure of their strength to produce them, and since it is not possible to evaluate every one's part in the production of the world's wealth.
All things are for all. Here is an immense stock of tools and implements; here are all those iron slaves which we call machines, which saw and plane, spin and weave for us, unmaking and remaking, working up raw matter to produce the marvels of our time. But nobody has the right to seize a single one of these machines and say, "This is mine; if you want to use it you must pay me a tax on each of your products," any more than the feudal lord of medieval times had the right to say to the peasant, "This hill, this meadow belong to me, and you must pay me a tax on every sheaf of corn you reap, on every rick you build."
All is for all! If the man and the woman bear their fair share of work, they have a right to their fair share of all that is produced by all, and that share is enough to secure them well-being. No more of such vague formulas as "The Right to work," or "To each the whole result of his labour." What we proclaim is:

The Right to Well-Being: Well-Being for All!

As soon as we study animals — not in laboratories and museums only, but in the forest and prairie, in the steppe and in the mountains — we at once perceive that though there is an immense amount of warfare and extermination going on amidst various species, and especially amidst various classes of animals, there is, at the same time, as much, or perhaps even more, of mutual support, mutual aid, and mutual defence amidst animals belonging to the same species or, at least, to the same society. Sociability is as much a law of nature as mutual struggle. Of course it would be extremely difficult to estimate, however roughly, the relative numerical importance of both these series of facts. But if we resort to an indirect test, and ask Nature: "Who are the fittest: those who are continually at war with each other, or those who support one another?" we at once see that those animals which acquire habits of mutual aid are undoubtedly the fittest. They have more chances to survive, and they attain, in their respective classes, the highest development and bodily organization. If the numberless facts which can be brought forward to support this view are taken into account, we may safely say that mutual aid is as much a law of animal life as mutual struggle; but that as a factor of evolution, it most probably has a far greater importance, inasmuch as it favors the development of such habits and characters as insure the maintenance and further development of the species, together with the greatest amount of welfare and enjoyment of life for the individual, with the least waste of energy.
- peter kropotkin

God damn, I hate Commies.

I mean, every now and then it's almost like I forget why I hate them so much and then some autistic user posts some of their utterly clueless shit and the rage I have for them is immediately kindled.

God damn, I fucking hate Commies.

Just more "you're wrong" with no reasoning as to why it's wrong or counter-examples.

>Abloobloo my Godless soul can't comprehend a sacred text!
>Not even christian btw.

>reasoning
I don't care about secular memes.

you're confusing two people, though. This guy talks with you since
I'm the one who said I wasn't christian and that your understanding of the bible is childish :

The need for a new life becomes apparent. The code of established morality, that which governs the greater number of people in their daily life, no longer seems sufficient. What formerly seemed just is now felt to be a crying injustice. The morality of yesterday is today recognized as revolting immorality. The conflict between new ideas and old traditions flames up in every class of society, in every possible environment, in the very bosom of the family. … Those who long for the triumph of justice, those who would put new ideas into practice, are soon forced to recognize that the realization of their generous, humanitarian and regenerating ideas cannot take place in a society thus constituted; they perceive the necessity of a revolutionary whirlwind which will sweep away all this rottenness, revive sluggish hearts with its breath, and bring to mankind that spirit of devotion, self-denial, and heroism, without which society sinks through degradation and vileness into complete disintegration. [...]
In periods of frenzied haste toward wealth, of feverish speculation and of crisis, of the sudden downfall of great industries and the ephemeral expansion of other branches of production, of scandalous fortunes amassed in a few years and dissipated as quickly, it becomes evident that the economic institutions which control production and exchange are far from giving to society the prosperity which they are supposed to guarantee; they produce precisely the opposite result. … Human society is seen to be splitting more and more into two hostile camps, and at the same time to be subdividing into thousands of small groups waging merciless war against each other. Weary of these wars, weary of the miseries which they cause, society rushes to seek a new organization; it clamors loudly for a complete remodeling of the system of property ownership, of production, of exchange and all economic relations which spring from it.

>your understanding of the bible is childish :
False
Of course you aren't a Christian, that's why you don't understand the Bible

On the contrary. To understand the bible is to reject Christianity.

>I'm not willing to even consider being convinced by other viewpoints but I make threads attempting to convince other people of my viewpoints

And I'm out.

False,
>muh udder bewboince
Humanist meme
I didn't make this thread btw.

Where is this from?

Yes, but no thanks to NEET new-christian /pol/acks like you

>putting Ed Feser, William Lane Craig and other /pol/ meme authors in the same category is the Holy Bible

Jesus Christ, is there any amount of cringe /pol/ christians can't tolerate?

"The spirit of revolt" written by russian zoologist and political theorist Peter Kropotkin in 1880

Kropotkin was one of the major anarchist theorists and a great opponent to Lenin

Marxism is kind of a reverse-engineered Gnosticism. Putting all Givens under grueling scrutiny, at first with Archonic dialectic, until it and the Givens collapse under their own absurdity, and the Subject is then gradually revealed to be the only truth and the only good.

Protestantism is extraverted Gnosticism.

The Bible is a laughable compilation of incoherent, self-contradicting bullshit, by a rabble of bat-shit authors.

The gods of the Old and new Testaments aren't even the fucking same. Jahweh was just another bog-standard Bronze Age patron deity. He even demanded ritual sacrifices FFS. Modern scholars have identified him with Saturn.

LOL @ Chisttards. They can't even draw basic conclusions from the most studied book of all time.

I like the idea of Jesus and I'm sure he was a cool guy and good role model. If only he existed.

Take the Gnosis Pill

Your silly heresy was refuted in the 2nd c. get with the times and take the Irenaeus Pill.

Indeed, even Scripture tells you that Scripture is dangerous.

Post more Kropotkin, guy.

>refuted
"Gnostics bang prostitutes and are literally satan" isn't a refutation. Your church fathers wrote unverifiable hit pieces on the gnostics.

One could almost say they lacked gnosis *tips sacred geometry*

I was a very religious youth. I swallowed the pill with gusto. All through HS I listened to Christian rock exclusively, attended bible camps, and went to church 3 times a week.

Then in preparation to head off to seminary, I read the bible straight through instead of just the new testament book we happened to be doing that season for our bible quiz league, or what was prescribed by my talks with my pastor (he was also my best friend's father, so I was around the guy a lot in and out of church). Prior to this read through, even my non-bible reading time was spent in Christian texts. Mostly with a focus on anti-science or anti-satanism, which if you read either type of text, you quickly realize are the same thing.

After reading the various contradictions between what was written, and what I was told to believe by the church, I started questioning everything. Why were some things constantly cited by the church from the old testament reviled, while other things we given a pass? How could one book be the unerring word of God, but have passages that "Don't apply in our modern world"?

Why was it that the Christian Science books I would read would work so hard to disprove demonstrable facts? Often the books would use the excuse of "This is what Satan wants you to believe" as the answer when the author had no reasonable explanation. Id God created the universe and the rules it operates by, then how could a fallen angel affect physics? None of it made sense.

Slowly, I changed my reading habits. I slowed my church participation, eventually dropping it completely as I started to read up on various theologies.

Over time I gave them all up as bullshit. I eventually decided that I could be a good person through simple empathy,. If I wouldn't like a situation, or I would be made uncomfortable by it, I didn't do it to others, and I would work to help those who were suffering. I found myself being more charitable than I ever was with the church.

These days I would call myself agnostic. I can't prove or disprove any theology. They are based on faith, and arguing with the faithful is fruitless. I still read a ton of theology and philosophy, but I apply what I read to the world through the lens of empathy, and I toss out anything that I don't see as useful to me or my fellow man.

Restricting yourself to any one discipline makes you one dimensional. Gone are the days where i would parrot back the ideas I was taught. Gone are the late night restaurant discussions about religion, where I adamantly opposed any dissent from the framework I was raised in. These days, I realize that no one has the answers. And that's fine. These days I'm content to just let people enjoy whatever does it for them. I might question it. But any discussions are strictly to seek mutual understanding. What is the common ground in various belief systems that allows us to move forward as a species? "Breadpilling" would never answer that question,

>After reading the various contradictions between what was written, and what I was told to believe by the church, I started questioning everything. Why were some things constantly cited by the church from the old testament reviled, while other things we given a pass? How could one book be the unerring word of God, but have passages that "Don't apply in our modern world"?
As an agnostic who tried to give Christianity a fair shot, this is what struck me as well.

This sounds harsh, but Christians are either ignorant or disingenuous when they tell people to read the gospels first and see the rest of the Bible in relation to them. If you read the Bible through, you find that it's 3/4 about the national god of a middle eastern kingdom. A local god called Yahweh who protects or punishes his people depending on how much they respect him. Very little in the Old Testament points to the gospels, if anything it shows how much the gospels are really about Israelite kingship and jewish history. The messiah means "anointed one", after the tradition of Israelite kings being anointed with oil, it's about local iron age royalty. Being king of Israel isn't a metaphor for being executed by whoever happened to rule Israel at the time, it's about ruling Israel yourself!

(but of course, Israel got twisted into a metaphor for followers of Jesus)

In my opinion it's only possible to hold the Christian view if you've pre-decided that the Old Testament is just a prequel to the gospels.

>In my opinion it's only possible to hold the Christian view if you've pre-decided that the Old Testament is just a prequel to the gospels.

And that's what I've found as well. I have a hard time seeing Jesus as anything but another person amassing followers through the use of existing theology. It is far easier to sway the masses if you can appeal to their existing beliefs. Not to say that some of the ideas Jesus is supposed to have taught aren't useful. But I think we need to treat it in the same way we treat any other philosophical work. When it comes down to it, the vast majority of philosophies revolve around knowing yourself, and being cool to each other. Those are the things that are useful in our lifetimes. Any bulllshit about the afterlife is just that. Let's be good to each other because we know how we want to be treated. Doing it because there is some reward attached to it is disingenuous. I hate when people claim that they do what they do because of the Lord. It feels like they are one imaginary friend away from being complete psychopaths.

Move to Jerusalem, otherwise you're not a real Je- I mean Christian. Dumb LARPing faggot.

Knowledge doesn't exist.
There are no contradictions, you were just horribly student and not actually taught how to read the Bible. Good job, heretic.

Lots of the OT doesn't apply to non-Jews. Holy shit, are you still in fucking high school or something?
>empathy
Humanism is disgusting

THE LAWS OF THE JEWS
DO NOT APPLY TO GOYIM
WHY IS THIS DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND?

The laws of China do not apply to you in the same way because you aren't Chinese most likely, do not live in China, and will probably never set foot in China.

lol, and here's the canned apologetics response. I wasn't even talking about the torah law.

> (You)
>There are no contradictions, you were just horribly student and not actually taught how to read the Bible. Good job, heretic.

This is poor bait. If one of us has reading comprehension issues here, I can assure you, it is not I. "Taught how to read the bible". Listen to yourself. Your interpretation is so narrow that someone literally has to tell you how to read a book in order to preserve your beliefs.

>civilization
stop eating bread

Wait, is Karamazov a Christian book?

>Think for yourslf
>Literally sounds like he's been programmed to speak by Dawkins

So which is it, "lolwtfcomics.com" or "quickmeme.com"? Getting mixed signals here.

They apply if you're circumcised.

Not per se, but it features orthodox Christianism pretty heavily throught the novel. Specially on the words of Father Zosima, and beautifully so too.

Do you christfags ever retreat to anything but "Hurrrrr Dawkins"?

I wrote a fucking litany above about why I left the church. That was all 24 years, and thousands of books ago, long before I'd even heard of Dawkins.

After leaving the church, I spent time exploring dozens of philosophies. Searching for myself in the words of others. What I came down to is this:

I am a good person.
I don't need a religion to tell me how to be good to myself or my fellow man.
I can take what I read, and apply what is useful to myself and others without attaching anything more than empathy to it.

The systems of belief I tend to relate to the most are Eastern. Most of the Zen/Taoist/Buddhist works focus on self discovery and personal enlightenment. Which I think fits my non-proselytizing nature. No one has the right to interfere in another's journey. Discussion is fine, but when you start threatening damnation, you've got to far. Life is what a person makes of it. There is no grand judge. If you are at peace with what you do, then so be it.

>Knowledge doesn't exist.

Get behind me.

yet another who fell for the new age meme

hope you'll not become another victim of history