Why is philosophy a failed field?

Why is philosophy a failed field?

Aristotle

It's not. Read Schopenhauer's forwards to World as Will and Representation. Real philosophers are always 99.999th percentile and show up in unexpected places while the academy is busy circle-jerking. With the advent of technology circle-jerking has just gotten more efficient, that's all.

It fails only in that it can not end

I mean it's pretty much just intellectual masturbation for verbally gifted people

Sort of how high level mathematics is useless but it gets numerically-minded peoples' jollies off

There've been a few good political systems to come of it but its mostly just masturbation through the centuries

Continental philosophy is a failed field. Analytic philosophy actually makes progress, albeit rare progress.

>Continental/Analytic

Pleb

The problem is philosophy shouldn't be treated as a field. It's just literature should be treated like fiction fun to read but not a science

>mfw im majoring in philosophy and economics.

The divide is real. Keep crying hegelboo

Baseline human cognition is incapable of solving human cognition.

Just do economics philosophy is something that can and should be self learned

>attempting to learn Kant, Hegel, and Heidegger on your own
Okay champ. Good luck

>not having the mental capacity to digest work on your own accord instead of being spoon-fed interpretations.

Because only a monkey could do it and think it had meaning.

>Zizek is an international Hegel-quoting mega-meme
>Peterson is complaining about post-modern neo-Marxist intellectuals Foucault, Lacan, Derrida
>gets shit on by disciples of gender theorists like Judith Butler
>Sam Harris does Sam Harris things as guest of honour on Bill Maher & wherever else
>Veeky Forums is weekly invaded by /pol/ or elsewhere, bringing in Nick Land, Evola, Spengler threads
>why is philosophy a failed field

it's humans that are becoming obsolescent. philosophy will do fine

Spoken like someone who has never read philosophy. Go read the preface to Phenomenology of Spirit and repost

>MY professor will be able to explain it to much better than these hundreds of other professors!

>has to be assigned Phenomenology of Spirit

Go back to plebbit.

I'm sure your genius IQ allowed you to soak in all the meaning in the works of Kant, Hegel, and Heidegger on your own.
It's ironic, I have a friend that says people should study philosophy on their own, but hasn't actually ever read beyond Plato or Socrates.

That's not ironic, that's just an irrelevant anecdote

>philosophy can be done by oneself
>implying philosophy does not begin with the Other

>Philosophy caused enormous advances in linguistics
>In mathematics
>In physics
>In neuroscience
>In economics
>Gave birth birth to psychology
>All in the last century
Sure is a failed field all right.

The self already implies the other, so to say that the self cannot "do philosophy" in isolation is to be ignorant of what the self is contingent upon by prior implication. All states are transient, and solitude can be a very a profitable one.

>high level mathematics is useless
Only because we are too stupid to utilize it yet. The advent of AI, conscious or not, will be able to use it.

Surely there should be commentaries then that are accepted as being meaningful guides to interpreting those lines of thought as a whole?

That's the 'problem', as soon as philosophy yields something clearly useful people cease to consider that this was philosophy.

ITT: Pseuds

The only problem I can see with philosophy is that most philosophers are either irrelevant or wrong. That being said, if we admit that a priori knowledge is possible we're going to run into philosophical issues at some point.

>That being said, if we admit that a priori knowledge is possible we're going to run into philosophical issues at some point.

You don't know what the flying fuck you are talking about. Better keep silent sonny.

why are you an idiot?