How do you deal with it?

The fact that, sooner or later you'll be gone and, no matter your achievements, they'll be but a tiny pebble. We won't get to explore the universe, see colonization become more than a meme or see the rise of AI. We're just stuck here, imagining fantastic things but not being able to ever do them.

How do you keep going, despite all that? Is Augemented Immortality close enough so that we'll get to live to see such things?

I mean, I'm studying my Physics at Uni and all, but this has gotten me down the last few weeks. What's the point of it all if you won't live to see Star Trek:TOS? Why study day and night if all your legacy, at best, will be a bunch of equations that maybe, two centuries from now we'll be used by someone to actually traverse the Universe? Should we just shift to bioengineering, figure out life-extending augs and THEN, after having solved the lifespan issue, deal with the more... "fantastic" aspects of science?

>implying that existential struggle is not the true purpose of life
Bitch plz

I'm already tired of living and smartphone and laptops are pretty cool.

Jesus saves, bucko.

Just don't think about it

Try not to think about it, OP. No one has the answers you seek. I once thought I did have the answers and I came up with a plan and everything. I thought I could make it and live long enough to see all my dreams come true but I all but abandoned that for the simple reason of how ridiculous it is to plan that far into the future. I don't know what to tell you other than to try and not think too much about your mortality. The most you can do is to try make sure you enjoy your time while it lasts and to make the most of it. That's all you can do.

But perhaps there is some light at the end of the tunnel: humanity is on the metaphorical eve of the invention of AI. Perhaps you and I will be lucky enough to witness an exponential rate of the development of technology and medicine with the advent of AI. Perhaps that would mean that in twenty or thirty years, we'll have the means to rejuvenate our bodies and live longer. We can only hope.

>Should we just shift to bioengineering, figure out life-extending augs and THEN, after having solved the lifespan issue, deal with the more... "fantastic" aspects of science?
No, because advances used in other areas may spark significant steps in all other fields from the methods used (see: calculus being used in every facet of science/math).

Don't worry, we'll make it.

They say that you only truly die when your name is uttered for the last time.
Pythagoras will never die. Isaac Newton will never die. Leonhard Euler will never die. Albert Einstein will never die. Perhaps you will never die?

The first step in a dream takes you further than a thousand in this world. Behold the face of your unmaking, death is but a chance for rebirth. Imperfection must be reshape. Everything short of perfection is irrelevant.

>just shift to bioengineering

>the internet and other infrastructure that enables you to research this isn't maintained
GAME OVER
>we run out of easily accessible resources
GAME OVER
>asteroid hits the only planet we have
GAME OVER
>mankind ruins the only planet we have
GAME OVER

Not only, as a self-acclaimed posessor of above-average intelligence you can't into basic logical conclusions - because if you deny a hereafter it should be of no difference to you whether you have the current experience going on for 80, 1000, 200000 or 10^42 years; as the destination is the same - but also you seem to be an unpatient, hedonistic egocentric. Is it not comforting enough to know that you made your contribution to the greater archivement of human intellect, had a fun ride doing so, and eventually helped to make better, or lets say, a further technological developed world for next generations? I'm glad that great inventors and innovators are driven by curiosity and self-realization unlike yourself: who sorrows over the natural fact of gradual evolution and views technological development solely as a means for an end for esthetical pleasure and (futile) enjoyment.

Also, you seem to falsely assume that you are an isolated observer, but those "fantastic things" (in the best case) will eventually be realized precisely because each contributed it's "tiny pebbles".

And why do you care about your achievements and name being gone? You won't exist then, so the only person caring about your achievements is the present you. Once you die, so does the universe.

>Wahhh mommy how comeI can't cling to the illusion of permanence
Why stress about the inevitable? Just enjoy what you can while you can.

Unsorted person detected

>all those failures will be lost in time, like tears in the rain
Thank God! I'm more worried about the prospect of immortality and having to live with your miserable self forever.

Just live, big questions don't have answers.

>Life is meaningless
>So what's the point if we won't live to see other meaningless things?
you haven't digested the thought completely

Maybe there are discoveries unlike any other waiting around the corner, and they need dedicated minds to uncover them. The road ahead might not take you where you want to go, but you sure as hell aren't getting anywhere by staying put.

You might not find that very helpful, but I've seen enough dead bodies to realize there's no reason we shouldn't strive for the most "ridiculous", "unthinkable", or "impossible" tasks we can imagine. If you care about something, see if you can make it happen.

Maybe you can make a difference. The alternative is certain failure. Why not use your time to try?

That's what keeps me going, anyway.

It's worse than that, even if you lived long enough, you wouldn't see those things happen, because FTL travel is probably impossible, and extraterrestrial civilizations are probably incredibly rare. Not to mention that you would live in a world where superhuman AIs render your existence pointless.

I'm not saying life is meaningless, just that we're at an age where we'll not be able to experience the truly great things. All we'll be able to do will be help others achieve it. But maybe that's enough...

>Maybe you can make a difference. The alternative is certain failure. Why not use your time to try?
That's pretty good advice, truth be told. Thanks user.

>Just enjoy what you can while you can.
Fair enough POV.

>Perhaps you will never die?
I doubt it, but... hey I hope I do. And I wish the same to you too.

>Don't worry, we'll make it.
That's optimistic. I like it.

>But perhaps there is some light at the end of the tunnel
Let's hope so.

>Jesus saves, bucko.
I'm not in any hurry to find out. I'm not a fedora, but I'm also not devout enough to, in case of all it being real, pass through the Pearly Gates. I'd rather live for a bit longer...

I hate this born to late to explore the universe bullshit you where apart of the time that descovered the wonders of the universe

The product of this era is finding out how infinitely mysterious and beautiful the universe is. We opened up a new frontier for humanity to explore

It's actually born "too early" not "to late".

I'm high, but thanks for pointing it out poindexter

>I'm high
Put down the Devil's lettuce user.

I can't it's so good the stress and tension seem manageable when I smoke a dooby and trip

It may sound corny, but... try as hard as you can, do as much as you can, and most importantly, stay Optimistic. People ridicule this, but negative thoughts never helped anybody. As for the rest, chin up chum. You never know what YOU will contribute. And you never know how things will turn out.

>stay Optimistic
am I on reddit?

What's so darn bad about some positive thinking user? R*ddit would be all "it's all pointless/why even try/I'm so smart I know my insignificance" and all that crap. Optimism is Anti-R*ddit.

the wrong thing is your reaction is fake and emotional
just accept the facts and deal with them

if you ancestors said this, you would not have any of the nice things you have. stop thinking about yourself, be a responsible grown man.

Why is it fake? Is it so strange to believe that some folks think what they do will matter, even in a small capacity? Nobody ever went anywhere with pessimism. Accepting reality doesn't mean you can't try to change it for the better, in whatever way you can.

Bumping this thread. With no particular insights.

>be a stronk independant human with 200IQ can solve any problem
>refuse to solve the only problem that actually matters to your own livelihood

I changed the world timeline to trump

I feel comfy

be more close-minded, think about life in the short-range if you know what I mean
not really good advice but it'll solve your problem, plus it's easier to do

>How do you deal with it?

You don't deal with it, "it" deals with you. Alternatively, get a deck of cards THEN deal with it... Etc.
The lifters of old lifted so that you may lift, you may lift so that the lifters of new may lift.
If all lift well, and all that it amounts to is a tiny pebble, perhaps that tiny pebble will become omnipotent and/or an omnipotence paradox and/or an actually omnipotent paradox.
That is (relatively basically) excluding the lowerers/droppers of old/now/new.
In regards to "low hanging fruit" the past supplies the present, the present supplies the future, but sometimes the past supplies the future and not the present. Sometimes the future supplies the past and not the present, and sometimes either and/or both of the past and future supplies the present. It begins to become quite interesting when the "present" supplies both the past and the future.
Good "luck"... Etc.

Epic praise kek roflmao

And how is your situation any different (or worse) than anyone else's in the past few millennia?
Think of all the people who've lived and died before they stood a reasonable chance of having enough to eat, before antibiotics, before airplanes, before anesthetics, before refrigeration, before you had a decent shot at living past 40.

Think of Willy Ley. He was a member of the German Rocket Society, saw Hitler coming to power and got out, fled to America. He spent his entire life promoting rocketry, advocating for space flight.
He died of a heart attack ONE MONTH before Apollo 11 landed on the Moon.

EVERY generation is in your situation. I suppose Capt. Kirk spent his off-duty hours bitching that Replicators and Holodecks hadn't been invented yet and he might not live to see them.