Best pens for writing out math?

I'm sure many of you spend a lot of time studying and writing. I'm really picky with the utensils I use and want to know your favorite pens for specifically math questions and what not. I don't really like to use pencils for some reason.

Pilot G2

bic

Any gel pen from pilot or bic, everything else is shit tier

pic related 0.4mm erasable pen for my notes on lectures\textbook on whatever in a notebook
and uniball signo 0.38mm pen for exercises\general calculations on sheets of paper, its literally the best non-erasable non-needletip pen out there.

Been using these badboys since I can remember
Mine are 0.7 though

I've been using the Pentel GraphGear 1000 for graphing and writing. The tip might be too long for some but it feels good in the hand and I like the design.

Pilot makes excellent rollerball pens, if you want a ballpoint get the acroball.

If you do mathematics in pen instead of pencil, you're fucking garbage.

>But user, I don't need a pencil cause I never make mistakes
First of all, fuck off. Second of all, pen bleeds through the paper and fucks everything up. The pencil is the truly patrician instrument and anyone who says otherwise is a godless faggot

Pencil fades, m8. I wouldn't use it if I were writing down notes that I know I'll use sometime in the future.

>pens run out of ink
The pencil is worn down after perpetual sharpening and usage, it carries the visual evidence of your labor with it. The pen, after years of usage, has nothing to show for itself.

I said pencil fades, m8. Whatever shit you spewed has no relevancy to what I said.

God, I should have expected a pen-sucker to be this dense. Pencils fade, pens run out of ink. They're both only temporary (unless you fill up your pens after they run out, please tell me you're not THAT much of a queer).

>Pencils fade, pens run out of ink
For fuck's sake, what kind of comparison is that? You're the dense retard here. When I'm referring to "Pencils Fade", I'm talking about how shit that's already written in pencil is much more susceptible to fading than permanent ink. I'm not talking about pencils becoming stumps or ink tubes being depleted. I'm talking about shit that's already written. Fucking retard.

Yellow Crayon

patrician answer

What kind of pencil are you using that fades? This has literally never been a problem for me...perhaps you don't actually like pens, you've just never been using good pencils. Tragic honestly

I use Zebra pens, they're really great, however I'm not sure if they're sold outwith the UK.

I do enjoy pencils as well to prevent any mistakes but once i've completed my work I will go over it in pen to make sure it stays put.

I also use highlighters to highlight an important part or statement.

>This has literally never been a problem for me
True if you like throwing away notes at the end of every semester. For long term shit that you know you'll use years, avoid pencils.

I keep my notebooks for posterity's sake. Sometimes to refresh myself I'll open them up, but not often.

fpbp

burn through these glorious pens once a month

you must be in highschool math (calc1-3)

Try measure theory and stochastic calculus pen-sucker

>analyst

confirmed babby

>erases his mistakes instead of learning from them
Found the brainlet

t. 3rd year undergrad

gel pens always look the nicest.

Pencils are bullshit

Writing looks worse
Need to sharpen often
Quality of writing gradually declines as tip dulls

Using a pen
Writing is nice, high contrast
Doesn't break unless you drop it and the tip hits the floor first
Quality of writing is consistent until it's completely out of ink

I've marked exams in pen and pencil and they're equally difficult to read when bullshit has been scribbled out vs erased to shit, either the page is full of shit or rewritten on top of faded shit. Make mistakes and deal with them however it works best for you

Fountain pen, no question. I use a fine point Pilot Prera myself

what size tip though? That's the most important part. 07?

This is very very much true.

BIC generic that shit is solid as fuck. Never lets me down.

Cheap Waterman ballpoint with black ink.

It's all done digitally nowadays. Do yourself a favour and learn to use LaTeX effectively.

why I use pen
1. easier to read, I don't use both sides of paper so that is not a problem for me
2. easier to write with, less pressure needed
3. doesn't fade or smear afterwards
4. doesn't need to be sharpened
5. uniform writing width, pencils will change when you rotate them
6. every mistake I make is permanent, since I can learn from common mistakes this is actually helpful since I will try not to make them in the future. Most of the stuff I write down isn't even meant to be read by anyone else so even if the whole page is scribbles it won't matter.
He means that if you rub something written in pencil it'll smudge and become difficult to read. I don't understand how this is relevant to pens running out of ink.

I like using mechanical pencils. I like being able to erase, the feel of pencil on paper and keeping a consistent quality of writing as opposed to regular pencils that dull between sharpening.

Graphing pencil on graphing paper.

If you want your notes to last more than 5 years, use a pen. Graphite on paper just does not last. It sloughs off on touch easily, it fades from exposure to light, and has a tendency to absorb or rub off onto the adjacent page even when sitting in the same place over years.

It depends on if what you're writing down is important enough. Pens have downsides, namely all pens except fountains and some gels miss strokes sometimes, which is a massive pain in the ass.

I like the Bic medium ball point pen

does it? I have a lot of very old notes (several years) written in pencil, and they hold. who knows, important stuff is written in latex anyway

Damn you have a fancy handwriting
Are you a girl?

10 is an ink blot, 07 is better, 05 is perfect, 0.38 scratches the paper

now you're just showing off

I write my "cream of the crop" up in latex, but having my old notes as references is invaluable since my work has been mostly a serial progression. Granted, I'm doing physics research and the goal is to produce interesting theoretical results, which is not what everyone who needs to use a writing utensil and paper is doing.

>It depends on if what you're writing down is important enough.
It all boils down to this; my notes are rarely about actually important shit and if that happens to be the case I'll scan them or rewrite them in the computer.

As for OP's question: a N°1/B pencil of a non-shitty brand does the job for me (am myopic as fuck so I can barely see HB, esp. on graphing paper)

Wooden pencil with a separate eraser that also can double as a stress ball. Also keep a sharpener handy.

Also, just because pencils can be erased doesn't mean that they don't last; graphite can actually stand up to heat and humidity better than ink, which will blot and rub off if it is subjected to heat.

So smooth, so crisp

Normally this, but unfortunately some professors still force you to do in class exams.

Muji Gel-Ink Ballpoint Pen 0.38mm

They're amazing :]
I usually just use printer paper to write on, let me know of any good graph or dotted paper

I prefer spirals for math work. Makes a nice, serial layout but easier than compositions to open since they lay flat. If it's important, typeset it in LateX. Obviously if you want figures graph paper is good.

I used to have some Japanese notebooks solely for math notes. I find their gridlines to be less harsh overall than your standard graphing paper/notebook.

perfect for poopers

iPad + iPencil + notability

of course not im not retarded, i just googled the pen's name i cba to take pictures of it.

Seconding, nothing beats a felt-tip.

Lamy Safari filled with Noodler's Black on a good notebook. Extra fine nib if you're a mathlet, otherwise 1.1 italic nib.

Kuru Toga pencil for exams.

For anything that someone else is going to look at, use latex.

If you're a poorfag, use a staeadlter lead holder for everything.

Pilot Metropolitan. Bonus points if you can ever find an extra fine.

For doing practise problems I just use a white board and marker. Way better than have shit tons of paper all over the place.

Hey guys, I'm from another board.

Is this equation bullshit, or does it actually make sense?

>Use of symbolic writing skills: 9/10
>Use of reading comprehension skills: 2/10

>pens are more permanent than pencils
Irrelevant argument because anything important gets tex'ed up anyway.

You literally trace over your pencil writing with pen afterward? What king of monster are you?

At home I write with Japanese gold nib fountain pens because I'm a sucker for them, but I use Bics at the classroom. I haven't found any correlation between the cost or brand of my pen and my knowledge, unfortunately.

love dis nigga

MontBlanc pens

>calc 1-3
>high school

how rich are you? I love their cologne but for s pen? those shits are $100 dollary doos American.

Not him but modern Mont Blancs aren't that great, they modernized their company to appeal a broader market and their quality went down (their prices didn't). If you like the big luxurious european pen style, get a second hand Mont Blanc from the 80s or 90s. Assuming the owner took good care of it you will end up with a better pen than a brand new modern MB and cheaper too

10.5" + pencil + notability
Just got the pencil so handwriting is still trash but palm rejection is the real killer app here

I fucking LOVE these pens
they're so fucking nice

literally the only pen i can write with

Great pen

You’re not alone friend.

>write my name in pencil
>erase it
>suddenly noone knows what to call me and my name disappears from every document i own

It's beautiful ain't it?

I love that I can download all the books, and I can cut out a problem and move it to the sheet.

Or when the prof gives us lecture notes we can write on?

Whew...Dandy....

tor is okay

I write either with my TWSBI Eco or my Pilot Metro. Not only do they write beautifully, but they make me feel very fancy.

>not doing digital notes
Surface Pro 3 + Pen
The future is now, old man

what do you guys do when you fuck up on an exam in pen and you have no room left? Pray?

Always have an emergency pen.
Just like I have an emergency toilet paper roll somewhere in my bathroom.

Wait you don't have any? Lmao what a faggot.

Use blanco (or Tipp-ex) you mongloid. It's made for this.

Same, use it for crossword puzzles all the time. Last long, moderate price, and writes smooth. Good choice.

>Anyone who doesn't use a pen on crossword puzzles is a bitch.

>no room left

What? You don't have other sheets of papers?

I'm not going to sit and type up stray thoughts and doodles as I think about them.

latex is for presentation only, right?
nobody would actually take notes or work out problems in latex

Jetstream only acceptable answer

>every mistake I make is permanent, since I can learn from common mistakes this is actually helpful since I will try not to make them in the future.
THIS, so much.
If you don't erase your mistakes, you can check it out later and not make them again. Also, it's nice to see how you improved through your learning process.

And you can use different colors with pens, unlike with pencils where everything is gray.

>colored pencils.

[math]\LaTeX[/math] is good for when you're done with the subject and you want to make a definitive version of what you've been studying or when you want to present it to someone else. Everyday studies in [math]\LaTeX[/math] is a waste of time.
If you want to do things digitally, then I'd say use a drawing tablet.

They look ugly (to me, at least) and they're very difficult to erase. Not only that, you still need to sharpen them. Better stick with pens, in this case.

you underestimate the autism of some of these people

now thats just gay

2-in-1's are the new God Tier.

All the strengths of a laptop.
All the strengths of a tablet.
All the strengths of a pencil/pen and paper.

You can type a report on it or make an excel spreadsheet in laptop mode.

You can lie in bed with it and watch Netflix in tablet mode.

You can pull out an active stylus and take handwritten notes in either mode.
You can change thickness, color, texture, etc with a single tap.
You can copy/paste your own writing or sketches.
You can use programs like One Note to insert premade sketches, like 3D axes for sketching volumes.

You can scroll infinitely in apps like One Note, set grid or lined backgrounds of different scale, change page color on a whim, nest folders and pages inside one another to create well-structured binders that are synced to the cloud.

For example, you can pull out your phone or log onto your desktop PC and open One Note and your handwritten notes from class will be synced to those devices.

You can also embed powerpoints and pdfs into the app and those sync as well. You can even annotate them yourself.

You can also take recordings that are anchored in place in your notes.

You can also create links between pages and lines to other parts of the notebook. So if you get to a new topic that requires an old skill, you can go find the old skill, copy a link to its location in your notes, and insert the link into your current notes.

You can take pages out of pdfs and throw them in the app. Clip your homework problems out of the pdf of the textbook and put them into a One Note page, then hand-solve them right beneath that.

You can still use the built-in calculator or browser as well. You can be struggling with a problem, move your hand a few inches and click Chrome, click google, then search for how to solve the problem.

It's lighter than a traditional notebook and textbook but replaces THOUSANDS of them at once.

If you're a caveman, though, the kuro toga 0.5mm pencil is the best.

Anyone here want to take a Math exam in crayon, just to fuck with the professor?

true

Go away Bill.

>If you're a caveman, though, the kuro toga 0.5mm pencil is the best.

Note: These mechanical pencils have a ratchet system in them that automatically turns the lead as you press down and let up on the pencil, meaning you always have a sharp point to write with. It's great.

I don't recommend the Surface.
Plenty of better options out there.

>Note: These mechanical pencils have a ratchet system in them that automatically turns the lead as you press down and let up on the pencil
Holy fuck. Are you for real right now

Yup. There's even a little window on the side of most models that lets you see the mechanism slowly turning inside as you press down and let up.

The drawbacks are that if you don't lift up, the lead doesn't turn, so cursive writing doesn't benefit from the mechanism.

Additionally, different sized leads allow different rates of rotation. Some lead sizes rotate 360 degrees every 7 presses, some take more like 60 presses. I find .5mm to be the best. Seems like 12-20 presses for a full rotation.

The lead is also a diamond graphite thing that costs as much as the pencil itself to replace, so you're better off just buying a new pencil every two months since it comes stocked with lead and a little container of extra lead. The pencils are only $5-8 so it's not a big problem.

Finally, the erasers are basically just for emergencies. They're small and when the back cap is off the pencil it can be hard to press down enough to get fresh lead out. So you generally want a real eraser on hand to grab when you need to erase something significant.