Becoming an autodidact

How do I learn how to teach myself? Surely there's a secret way that's being hidden from me. It can't be as simple as opening a book and reading and working problems or setting a schedule. No. There are things being hidden from me.

Laughs and mocking aside, what are y'alls habits to get you to learn new things effectively? For a long time I've had ADD and clinical depression. I get prescribed adderall now, but I still don't have the motivation to do anything I know would be good for me, and to reform the bad habits I've acquired after years of being a pot smoking hedonist hanging out with other pot smoking hedonist. I mainly just look a crypto charts now obsessively.

Bump, I'm dumb and want a rulebook to living a good life rather than practicing dicipline

There is no secret. Look within and you'll realize that you already know what you need to do. I think you've always known. The only way to succeed at anything is to invest your most valuable resource into it: time. Your first step is identifying what it is you specifically want to learn. The next step is trying and practicing and studying. That's all there is to it, experience is the only way to truly learn and understand something imo. Just readjust your habits, you know where you waste time.

>It can't be as simple as opening a book and reading and working problems
this, you just get used to it the more you do it .

just watch rick & morty and you'll get all the wisdom you need

Do NOT listen to this guy, OP. That is advanced material and will only result in you getting frustrated and giving up. Start with something simpler (Calculus), and once you've mastered that, then you should give Rick and Morty a try. A warning though, you need a really high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. Many idiots have attempted and failed to grasp the fundamentals of R&M. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion.

Wtf are you talking about, Rick and Morty is for plebs, that's what he should start with, the real depth is found in the joy of playing Doki Doki Literature Club

Thanks for the replies, and you guys are right.

Do you guys have any tips on how to change habits and make them stick easier? Immediate rewards after accomplishing something? Setting the schedule for your day the day before? Meditating?

Thank you soldiers. I've already dabbled with Rick and Mortimer but the concepts just flew right over my head. Going back to study the finer details of it would probably be good for a brainlet like myself.

Memes aside (And forgive me for being this much of a pleb) I just finished calc 1 last semester at my local Uni and it was honestly quite a lot of fun. I don't know why I didn't learn it sooner or why it's not taught with physics for primary schools

you're overthinking it , just start right now.

Ok

Learn how to learn is literally the whole point of college.

I find the 25-minute period of work, 5-10 minute break helpful. The problem is you can think of time as large, 4 hour slots within which many things can be accomplished; this leads to procrastination. You have to discretize your time better and understand that each particular unit of time counts. 25 minutes is pretty reasonable and keeps you on a short leash. As you get better it can be more like 50 minutes 10 minutes, etc etc

This

The way to learn on your own is to investigate things you have genuine interest and curiosity about. Then you have a constant feedback of satisfaction to keep you motivated. Understanding things is one of the great pleasures of life.

Mostly this. In my true opinion, curiosity is the engine for auto-learners, and understanding a new concept is a wonderful feeling, knowing nobody taught you.

Another personal advice for you OP: learn mostly of text. Neither from YouTube videos nor anything you don't need to focus. I tried to study just with tutorials, and got myself 5 minutes after watching something else that appeared in recommended videos.
Any type of text is fine: textbooks, PDFs, EPUBs, even a fucking blog. Text requires to focus, which is what you need to study and therefore, learn.

The irony of your post is astounding.

Adios, brainlet.

>Surely there's a secret way that's being hidden from me. It can't be as simple as opening a book and reading and working problems or setting a schedule.

>step one
you need a clear idea of what do you want to learn

>step two
start with soft material, maybe some videos, maybe wikipedia, to get a general idea

>step three
once you got the big picture in step two you'll be able to know if you have enough background stuff to get what you want to learn, if not, go back to step one

>step four
once you're sure you're are ready enough you can go to more specilized material, that is books, scientific papers, online lectures, etc, I believe this one is the hardest, because you don't have any notion of what is good material and what is not, so, be sure to ask a lot.

>step five
once you got good material is time to work, at this point you're free to work the best way it works for you, but you should know, at least, that any kind of knowledge needs a lot of time and a lot of work, if you think you know shit after a quick reading then you're wrong.

You have absolutely no practicable traits or goals, and you don't derive any real satisfaction from life that exceed basic instant gratification. Of course you feel useless and unmotivated. You would have no trouble learning something you cared about, but you don't genuinely care about shit like you did when you were young. Give yourself some purpose. A car won't go very far with no gas in its tank

2nded

just make it a habit, man. Do 30 mins each day and you'll be golden.

Having a habit is incredibly important, and dont trick yourself into thinkign you can do better. Stick to your habit as closely as possible, dont do more or less than 30 mins for the first 2 months, then increase to 1 hour when you feel you are read (but not before one or two months).

>being so utterly dull and uninterested in anything that you actually have the capacity to be able to put away the material after 30 MINUTES
Wow that is sad. I couldn't even imagine. Horrible advice.

>this, you just get used to it the more you do it .
This only works for easy concepts, you need a tutor to walk you through more advanced stuff. Has anyone ever finished Spivak without a professor?

>A challenger appears