Haruki Murakami

Opinions on Murakami?
I read 'Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage' and thought it was decent.
Just read the first 100 pages of Kafka on the Shore, but how the author talks about the protagonist's 15-year-old cock and the part where some young women just out out of nowhere gives him a handjob in her apartment just weird me out. Especially the "I was thinking how nice it'd be if I was your real sister" immediately after she made him jizz in some tissues.

What the fuck Murakami, does this book get any better or will it just be more of this shit?

Most Murakami sex I've found gross and badly written, with exception of Reiko in Norwegian wood.

Also, Kafka on the Shore is worth the read mostly for Nakata and the magic realism. Kafka's storyline I couldn't care less about.

colorless is definitely sexually toned down compared to kafka. kafka is more representative of his older works...where the book isn't about fucking, but there might be an explicit scene or two.

I don't see the problem. those scenes aren't that bad and aren't usually what people complain about when it comes to murakami...well the ones who aren't prudes anyhow.

His book about the Sarin attack was brought up in a thread on /tv/ today, has anyone around here read it?

yeah it's called underground and it's nonfiction. it's a really interesting read on cults and the psychology of some of the people who joined them. it's pretty much interview after interview...but surprisingly a breezy read if you thought that would make it boring.

I don't think you have to a prude to be weirded out by an adult woman jerking off a fifteen year old high school runaway she just a met while talking about his lost sister and telling him "oh boy I sure wish I am your sister"

You might have to be gay.

The book really doesn't start properly until after that. Keep reading, it's comfy.

Too American for me, It feels like I'm missing out because I didn't listen to a popular American band from the 60's or read Beat generation literature.

>Opinions on Murakami?
He's shit.

You don't have enough of a literary background to understand what influenced Kafka on the Shore.
Also starting with Colorless is a pretty bad decision. Finish Kafka on the Shore, read Norwegian Wood, The Wind-up Bird Chronicle, and then you can probably navigate through the rest of his work however you like. 1Q84 isn't worth the commitment to reading all of it though.

Why are Japs such degenerates?

Behavioral sink

What kind of literary background? Do I have to start with the Greeks?

he's immensely popular in japan too.

you're a prude if you can't read oddball sexuality and move on. especially without getting flustered like a wussy.

And most Japanese are Americophiles.

he sucks

I'm a pleb who nonetheless made it all the way through 1Q84.
Tell me more about the influences behind Kafka.

It gets weirder, just go with it.

He's actually been criticised by some Japanese for being too Western as well.

>le endings don't matter man

He's way too talentless to be so well known. His notoriety seems more like charity than anything else. "I have a book from a living writer from Japan," type of generosity.

Way too generous.